Herceg-Novi Restaurants

Miramare Pizzeria, Herceg Novi
    Balcanica Pizza at Miramare Pizzeria

Best Rated Restaurants in Herceg-Novi

• KonstantinII's Profile Photo

The Yachting Club: Everything, but the grill is superb! ;o)

by KonstantinII Written Aug 27, 2004

Yachting Club restaurant

The Yachting club is a really good place.
    It's in the main street by the sea and it has 3 separate parts, one just by the sea and 2 parts just accross the street.
    Amaizingly good staff!!!
    Everything was perfect! Great miel, very nice waiter and a great "interior" ("" since it was outside).

Favorite Dish: Definitely a place to try the famous Njegus Stake!!!!!!

• Spa and Resort
    • Cruise

• KonstantinII's Profile Photo

Kantula: Definitely try some of the grilled miels.

by KonstantinII Written Aug 28, 2004

Inside the restaurant garden

The name of the restaurant is KANTULA.
    The interesting thing about the place is that it has a TV in the garden, and we didn't see one in days, so... ;o)))
    Prices are very good and the miels are more than satisfying.
    And it's just some few hundred feet from the tennis courts. Well, just ask someone...

Favorite Dish: Definitely try some of the grilled miels.

• Architecture

• KonstantinII's Profile Photo

Restaurant (and meat shop) Jelej Babic: Meat, meat... ;o)

by KonstantinII Written Aug 27, 2004

here kitty, kitty, kitty... ;o)

It's a not bad at all restaurant in Trg Nikole Djurkovica (Nikola Djurkovic Square.
    And don't be afraid if some of the local pets come to visit you while you're eating your miel.
    I noticed that mostly people from abroad (foreign tourists) love playing with them during their miel.
    Street cats are something that's not unusual in Herceg Novi.

• KonstantinII's Profile Photo

Restoran KANTULA: Italian and local dishes.

by KonstantinII Written Aug 28, 2004

Menu on the street

The last day in Herceg Novi we were walking around in hope to find some ATMs beside the ones in the very center of the town (which is a good walk from the main "fair" street by the see) and we bumped into this restaurant that look nice and wasn't much crowded. There's a "menu" on the entrence where you can see what kind a food they serve.

• Architecture

Pizzeria Lokanda: Pizza in the main plaza in Stari Grad

by karenincalifornia Updated Nov 19, 2004

Pizzeria Lokanda, Herceg Novi, Montenegro

Head to the main plaza in the old town section of Herceg Novi and you'll find a number of restaurants with tables set up in the plaza. We chose Lokanda for pizza and it was a fine place to eat.

Everything is a bargain in Herceg Novi. We bought a delicioius large pizza for 2,63 Eurodollars.

Perla Hotel: Great place for People Watching

by karenincalifornia Updated Apr 4, 2011

Breakfast at Perla Hotel, Herceg Novi, Montenegro

Perla Hotel serves all three meals right on the promenade. Breakfast was included in our stay at the hotel, and it was substantial. Every morning, we gorged ourselves at the breakfast buffet, which served breads, egg dishes, cold cuts, sausages, Serbian cheeses and fruits, and coffee.

One of the best simple pleasures in life is sharing a cup of steaming coffee in the morning with the one you love!

This breakfast was included in the room rate of 42,50 Euros per night for 2 people. Where else can you get a room with a gorgeous view, in a seaside hotel, full breakfast included for two people..all for 42,50 Euros per night?

Restoran Aquarius: Excellent value set menus on the seafront

by SWFC_Fan Written Jul 14, 2012

Restoran Aquarius, Herceg Novi

Emma and I ate at Restoran Aquarius one evening during our visit to Herceg Novi in May 2012.

This seafront restaurant, located on the promenade of Setaliste Pet Danica, is attached to Vila Aleksandar Hotel and is about 15 minutes walk east of Fortemare and the town's harbour.

Apart from its excellent seafront location, the thing that set Aquarius apart from other nearby restaurants was a menu board outside on the promenade offering daily set menus (starters and main courses) at incredibly competitive prices. The daily fish menu was 7.90 Euros, while the daily meat menus ranged from 4.90 Euros to 6.90 Euros.

On this particular evening, the respective set menus were as follows:

Fish Menu:

Starter: Fish Broth

Mains: Hake Fillet or Trout with boiled potatoes.

Meat Menu:

Starters: Chicken or Veal Soup

Mains: Hunting steak with mashed potatoes (4.90 Euros)
    Chicken in curry sauce with rice (5.90 Euros)
    Burger with french fries (6.90 Euros)

Salad.

It was still light when we arrived, so we sat ourselves down at a table that looked out to sea. There was a small pebble beach below us and on the horizon we watched as a cruise ship sailed off into the sunset. It was a wonderful location and setting for a relaxing evening meal.

I opted for the Fish Menu (Price: 7.90 Euros):

Fish broth – this was a fairly creamy soup and contained lots of flaky fish (without a single bone) and a wedge of lemon. I enjoyed it.

Hake fillet with boiled potatoes – three grilled hake fillets (largely de-boned, but I found a couple of tiny bones) cooked in garlic and served with boiled potatoes, spinach and more garlic. I could still taste the garlic the following day (and Emma could still smell it!). I really enjoyed this meal and thought that it was excellent value for money.

For dessert, I ventured over to the glass counter that displayed a selection of cakes and pastries and opted for a large slab of sticky baklava (1.50 Euros).

During my meal, I enjoyed a bottle or two of Nik Gold lager (2 Euros for a 330ml bottle).

Emma opted for the Meat Menu and chose the chicken soup and hunting steak (Price: 4.90 Euros):

Chicken soup – nice and flavoursome with plenty of good quality chicken meat.

Hunting steak with mashed potatoes – two pork steaks, well cooked, served in a mushroom sauce and accompanied by a generous portion of mashed potatoes. Emma enjoyed her meal as much as I did mine, and at just 4.90 Euros for the two courses it was outstanding value for money.

Emma picked out a slice of cake from the glass counter for dessert. We are not sure what it was called, but it consisted of sponge, chocolate, toffee, cream and icing sugar and cost 2 Euros for a hefty slice.

Emma had a Fanta Orange (1.80 Euros) and a green tea with honey and lemon (1 Euro) with her meal.

The food at Aquarius was exceptionally good value for money. It was tasty and the portions were generous. The wonderful seafront location just made the prices all the more unbelievable. We'd certainly recommend the daily set menus on offer at Aquarius!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Tri Lipe: Tasty seafood in a shaded courtyard!

Tri Lipe Restaurant, Herceg Novi

My girlfriend and I ate at Tri Lipe on the first evening of our stay in Herceg Novi in May 2012.

Holger (VTer HORSCHECK) had recommended Tri Lipe to me prior to our trip and I had taken a quick look at their website. So, when we stumbled across the restaurant while exploring the town, I recognised the name and decided that we'd give it a try.

The name of the restaurant translates as "Three Lindens" (or "Three Lime Trees"). It has a pleasant outdoor courtyard in which you can enjoy an al fresco meal beneath the shade of the surrounding trees. I didn't recognise the trees, nor did I count them, but in light of the above they are most probably lime trees and there may well be three of them!

We'd spent the day travelling and we were just happy to be sitting outside in pleasant surroundings on a mild spring evening. Colourful international flags decorated the trees and wine bottles, wooden barrels and further flags adorned the perimeter walls and fencing.

We arrived quite late in the evening, but a few of the tables still had people eating at them and the friendly staff welcomed us in.

The menu, which had been translated into English, German, Italian and Russian, consisted of soups, salads, grilled meats and seafood dishes. We had seen the open grill when we entered the restaurant, and the various meats looked very tasty, but I had already decided that I would be starting my visit to Montenegro with some local seafood.

I started with:

Riblja Corba (Fish Soup) - Price: 3 Euros

A good sized bowl of hot soup. I ate a lot of fish soup during my stay in Montenegro and this proved to be one of the most enjoyable bowls. It was only a thin broth, but it was surprisingly flavoursome given its appearance. Unlike most of the other fish soups I sampled, this one didn't just contain fish, but also other seafood. The flaky white fish (which contained only one small thin bone) was supplemented by mussels, octopus, crab meat, one small prawn, rice and herbs. I enjoyed it a lot.

We each received a complimentary piece of round flat bread which was particularly useful for dipping into the tasty soup!

For my main, I continued with the seafood theme and ordered:

Przene Lignje (Fried Squids) - Price: 8 Euros

A large plate of squid fried in a light batter and served with boiled potatoes, spinach, lettuce, tomato and wedges of lemon. The portion was large and the squid was well cooked; not at all rubbery. I cleared my plate, and very much enjoyed it!

Emma didn't order a starter, but instead ordered a main meal and a couple of side dishes:

Grilled chicken with french fries and salad - Price: 6 Euros

4 pieces of chicken breast, well cooked on the grill, and served with french fries, tomato, cucumber and diced onions. Emma enjoyed it, but was a little overwhelmed by the portion size.

Boiled rice - Price: 1.50 Euros

A plate of boiled rice topped with herbs.

Grilled vegetables - Price: 3 Euros

A dish of grilled peppers, onions, tomatoes, courgettes and aubergines which provided an ideal accompaniment to Emma's main meal.

I was keen to sample the local beer, so I ordered:

Draught Niksicko beer - Price: 1.5 Euros for 500ml

A light and refreshing lager that I enjoyed throughout my stay in Montenegro. Some lagers can be a little too fizzy for my liking, but that is not the case with Niksicko; it was very easy to drink. I actually preferred the standard Niksicko to the higher priced Nik Gold.

Emma opted for:

Green tea - Price: 1 Euro

Served in a mug with a slice of lemon.

Overall, we really enjoyed our meal at Tri Lipe. Our total bill was a very reasonable 24 Euros.

Lovely seafood in a pleasant courtyard setting beneath the trees. Probably the best fish soup of the many that I tried in Herceg Novi! Recommended!

Pekara Stari Grad: Breakfast in Stari Grad

Pekara Stari Grad, Herceg Novi

I ate breakfast at Pekara Stari Grad on the first morning of our stay in Herceg Novi in May 2012.

This small bakery is located just behind the main square of Trg Nikole Durkovica, next to the fruit and veg market, and just a minute's walk from the Clock Tower in the heart of Stari Grad. It has a couple of small tables out front that can each accommodate two people at a push.

Pekara Stari Grad sells a large selection of breads, pastries and yoghurts, but no drinks. Having eaten lots of burek on a recent visit to Macedonia, that was always going to be my breakfast of choice; I opted for the meat filled burek rather than the cheese filled variety.

The meat filled burek cost just 1 Euro a slice and took the form of a large sausage shaped pastry wrapped into a loop. It was a huge portion, it was dripping with grease, the pastry flaked away in my hand as I ate it and the meat inside had a slightly spicy taste to it. I enjoyed it a lot...and it kept my appetite at bay until lunch time!

As the bakery didn't sell drinks, we perched briefly at one of the outside tables while I ate my burek and then walked back around the corner into Trg Nikole Durkovica for drinks at an outdoor cafe.

Excellent value burek in the heart of Stari Grad. Highly recommended for a cheap and hearty breakfast!

Caffe Bar Pizzeria 5: Outdoor cafe in Trg Nikole Durkovica

Caffe Bar Pizzeria 5, Herceg Novi

We visited Caffe Bar Pizzeria 5 for drinks on our first morning in Herceg Novi in May 2012.

I had just enjoyed a large piece of burek at the nearby "Pekara Stari Grad" bakery, but as they didn't sell drinks there, we made our way to the outdoor cafes on Trg Nikole Durkovica at the foot of the Clock Tower for liquid refreshments.

There are several adjacent cafes with outdoor tables and cushioned wicker chairs beneath a row of parasols that cover much of the picturesque square; we didn't make a conscious decision to choose Caffe Bar Pizzeria 5 ahead of the other cafes, the vacant table that we grabbed just happened to belong to them.

A glossy menu with colourful photos displayed the selection of pizzas, pastries, sandwiches and ice cream sundaes that were available, but on this occasion we skipped past them and concentrated solely on the beverages page.

I opted for a strong espresso coffee (0.80 Euros), which was served with an accompanying glass of water and ice, and Emma had a cup of tea (1 Euro) which was served with a shot glass of lemon syrup, a sachet of honey and, upon request, a small pot of milk.

We enjoyed a leisurely morning drink, watching people pass by and watching the early morning clouds dissipate to give way to blue skies and sunshine.

One of a handful of outdoor cafes on Trg Nikole Durkovica in the heart of Stari Grad. A great place for a morning drink and a spot of people watching!

Caffe Bar 3: Cafe opposite the bus station

Caffe Bar 3, Herceg Novi

We briefly dropped into Caffe Bar 3 for drinks after scrutinising the bus timetables at Herceg Novi's central bus station. This small cafe bar is located just across the road from the bus station.

There was no visible signage indicating the cafe's name, just verdant green foliage hanging beneath the faded Niksicko Pivo canopy and shading the cafe's entrance and handful of outdoor tables. I found the cafe's name on the drinks menu and on my receipt.

We sat inside on one of the comfortable mini sofas and studied the drinks menu, which was written in Montenegrin but largely easy to understand. It contained hot drinks, soft drinks, beers, wines and spirits.

The cafe was unremarkable except for the fact that a large (500ml) bottle of Niksicko beer cost less than a smaller (330ml) bottle; the former costing 1.50 Euros and the latter costing 1.80 Euros. In the interests of frugality I ordered myself a large bottle! Other beers on the menu were Jelen (from Serbia), Tuborg, Heineken, Bavaria and Becks.

Emma had a can of orange juice which cost 1.80 Euros.

A small cafe opposite the bus station which encourages you to buy a large beer!

Konoba Kruso: Seafood by the beach in Topla

by SWFC_Fan Written Jun 10, 2012

Beachside taverna of Konoba Kruso

My girlfriend and I ate lunch at Konoba Kruso on our first full day in Herceg Novi in May 2012.

This beachside taverna is located on the edge of Plaza Rafaelo; a well maintained public beach in the Topla area between Herceg Novi and Igalo. We sat at a table in the open air part of the dining room with great views of the beach, the sea and the seafront promenade stretching towards Igalo.

The menu at Konoba Kruso (which our guidebook said was particularly focused on local cuisine) featured a selection of soups, salads, pasta dishes, lots of seafood options (plenty of fish, but also mussels, prawns, octopus and squid) and a large variety of grilled meat dishes (particularly veal, chicken, lamb and kebabs).

Our waitress was bubbly and talkative and was particularly keen that we should try the local cuisine. While we were reading the menu, she brought us a complimentary basket of "domestic" bread (various slices and rolls) and a "domestic" dip (olive oil with a strong garlic taste). She was keen to stress that this was authentic local food!

While the food may have been authentically local, the music wasn't. We were treated to a soundtrack of 1960s and 70s pop music. It was particularly ironic (or maybe deliberate) that we were listening to "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head" as we watched the storm clouds gather above the surrounding mountains. By the time we had finished our meal, raindrops were indeed falling on our heads, but the showers soon passed over.

I had decided that my diet would be largely seafood based during our stay in Montenegro, so the "Fish Soup Coastal Style" (2 Euros) immediately caught my eye as a starter. The waitress thought otherwise though, and instead brought me the slightly more expensive:

Fish Broth - Price: 3 Euros

This was a creamy soup with large chunks of pinky-grey fish (no bones) and herbs. Unlike the fish soup I'd enjoyed at Tri Lipe the previous evening, this one contained no other seafood, just fish. I enjoyed it, but I preferred the Tri Lipe version.

For my main, I ordered:

Tuna Salad - Price: 4 Euros

This would best be described as a "ball" of tuna, tomato, onions and green salad items. It was served in the same way that rice is often served in Chinese or Indian restaurants. It was a refreshing and surprisingly filling main course and was accompanied by lettuce leaves, sweetcorn and slices of lemon.

For dessert, I opted for the intriguing sounding:

Pear in Red Wine - Price: 3.50 Euros

A hot pear, skinned, and covered in a fruit and red wine sauce. It was served with a tiny scoop of stracciatella (chocolate chip) ice cream and a handful of almonds. The presentation was very fancy, it was nice enough, but I couldn't help but think that it was a little overpriced for what it was. Isn't that often the way with desserts? I couldn't taste much of the red wine either!

To drink, I had:

Draught Niksicko beer - Price: 2 Euros for 500ml

A nice refreshing local lager, served cold in a large glass mug. It was a little more expensive than in many places in Herceg Novi, but I was happy enough to pay a small premium for sitting by the beach with a cold beer in hand.

Emma's meal was as follows:

Mamma Mia Salad - Price: 5 Euros

Slices of breaded chicken, cherry tomatoes, rocket, parmesan cheese, red cabbage and green salad leaves.

Jacket Potato - Price: 2 Euros

It was actually a plate of 4 small jacket potatoes which we shared between us. We dribbled the domestic garlic olive oil dip on them and they were very nice!

Pancakes with Walnut and Sugar - Price: 3 Euros

They were nice enough, but Emma was disappointed that they were cold when she expected them to be cooked and served hot.

2 x Sprite - Price: 2 Euros per glass

Overall, we enjoyed our meal at Konoba Kruso. The combination of local food and a beachside setting made for a nice lunch. We probably had better food, or at least better value food, elsewhere in Herceg Novi – but the setting made up for that to a large extent.

Recommended for a nice seafood lunch by the beach!

• vesna04's Profile Photo

Konoba Feral: Fresh seafood and more

by vesna04 Updated Nov 15, 2005

Konoba Feral

When in Montenegro and you see the word Konoba, it is refering to a restaurant furnished in old traditional style. The enterior is usualy made from srone and wood with some old features added. This Konoba is not an exeption. So if you are after this kind of ambience you will enjoy here.

Favorite Dish: All kind of seafood for my husband and meat for myself. Everything we tryed was delicious.

• vesna04's Profile Photo

Caffe Zalo: The best Ice Cream in town

by vesna04 Written Nov 6, 2005

Caffe Zalo

This caffe is situated in Emir Kusturica's Cultural Center. It has a very nice teracce virtualy on the sea shore. Once we were there Kusturica sent us the drinks on his charge, so if you want to have a drink on a such a famous person, you come here it may happen to you as well :-)

Restorante Zvijezda: Fast Food in Montenegro

by karenincalifornia Updated Nov 22, 2004

Fast food stand in Herceg Novi

"Fast food" in Montenegro doesn't mean the same thing as "fast food" in the US (McDonalds, Burger King, etc.) Walk along the promenade in Herceg Novi, and you'll come across a number of "fast food" places. In Herceg Novi, these are outdoor grills that serve local traditional grilled meat dishes.

Although I'm a vegetarian, my husband loves grilled meat (and does a pretty good job grilling himself). This is my husband's kind of place. Just for you, Honey Bunch!

Favorite Dish: Traditional Montenegrin meat dishes such as vjesaliga, pljeskavica, kabasica, cevapi, raznjic and piletina are grilled on the outdoor grill.

At these fast food places, you can get a meal for 1,50 and 2,00 Eurodollars.

With prices like that, you can be generous and leave a 30% tip!

Instant Answers: Herceg-Novi

Comments

Herceg-Novi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Herceg-Novi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Herceg-Novi sightseeing.