Morača monastery stands along the Morača river and along the main road, between Podgorica and Kolašin, 19 km south to Kolasin. It was built in 1252 by King Stefan Nemanja, son of king Vukasin, and grandson of king Nemanja.
The monastery complex comprises the cathedral for Falling into Sleep of Holy Mother of God (Uspenje Bogorodice), a small church dedicated to Saint Nicolas (Sveti Nikola) and a building for accommodation of pilgrims. It has several interesting frescoes.
Morača river is not very long as it is only 113 km. It flows from Rzača mountain to Shkoder Lake, almost at sea level. Thus its upper part, shown here, is a mountain river flowing in a canyon. The water is deep blue. We saw several fishermen fishing most probably for trout.
On our way to Kolašin, we followed Morača river from Podgorica to Ljuta and then left it to Crikvine pass and Kolašin, 13 km away. Morača river does not flow in Kolašin where flows Tara river.