Crkva Svete trojice (Church of Holly Trinity) is in the lower level of the Monastery.
The founder was Archimandrite Joseph Pavićević in 1820th with blessing of the Metropolitan of Cetinje Petar I Petrovic - Njegos (St. Peter of Cetinje). In the same monastery was buried Archimandrite Pavićević 1836th.
Around the church are the thread and make the building together harmoniously united with the natural environment.
Ostrog Monastery is one of the most visited in the Balkans. In it the faithful of all religions come from all over the world.
Monastery lodging in lower level is paid (approximately 5 euros). All visitors have a blessing for 2 nights, for longer stay need to gain approval from administration of Monastery.
Also, there is monastery bookstore and souvenir gift shop.
On the drinking fountain people usually take water for drinking in return home.
The Monastery of Ostrog (Serbian Orthodox Church) is place of one of biggest pilgrimage of Serbian Orthodox Church. This sanctuary is visited by believers of all faiths trough hole year, especially on Day of St. Basil of Ostrog (Dan Svetog Vasilija Ostroškog) on 12th of May.
The upper level of Monatery is located along the almost vertical cliff, high on the mountain call Ostroška greda (beams of Ostrog) with a view of the plains Bjelopavlici. It is in north part of Monte Negro near Nikšić, near village Bogetići.
The upper level of Monastery is attached to the vertical rock at an altitude of nearly 900 meters.
In the cave there are two churches. Upper church is dedicated to the upper Holy Cross, and the lower small and low, the Presentation of the Virgin Mary (Vavedenje of the Holly Mary). The upper has raised the 1665th with the blessing of St. Basil of Ostrog. The bottom is not known exactly when he made, but it is older than the upper church.
Is dedicated to the St. Basil of Ostrog (Sveti Vasilije Ostroški), who is his founder (17th century). He was buried there, and proclaimed a saint miracle worker. His body rests in a cave in the church. The monastery was rebuilt 1923-1926. years after the fire, which had been spared cave churches. They represent a major heritage value.
The oral-folk legends say that people who is not chaste enough not to be able to enter the upper temple by invisible force.
In the upper church, pilgrims usual carrying wine and men's socks (according to the legend that St. Basil of Ostrog walked barefoot).
Many patients (regardless of religious) come to rest here in believe of miraculous care. Those who are unable to bring their sick loved ones to the Monastery, bring their clothes and leave it church at least one night or ask priest for blessing and to read a prayer.
Besides a Church there is a Monastery lodging (with separate restroom) where is offer free accommodation for pilgrimage up to two nights (for longer stay need to gain approval from administration of Monastery). In the building can be placed up to 300 people but many choose to sleep outside. There is provided for each visitor a thin mattress, blanket and pillow.
Here is also a Monastery souvenir gift shop.
Usually people walking to the Upper church in honor of his patron. Between the upper and the lower level of Monastery is forest and the asphalt road that leads trough, about 5 km long. The cross the path for pedestrians is much shorter and it takes about 20-25 minutes.
Also, there is a local transportation with symbolic compensation.
Between the upper and lower monasteries 2005th is built a church of Saint Martyr Stanko.
Martyr Stanko was a shepherd who was killed by the Turks because they did not want to reveal the place where monks are hidden. According to tradition, the Turks cut off his hands, because he publicly admitted that is a Christian. In chapel are preserve his hands. They can be seen but are found beneath the glass. Left hand are the hinges, which according to legend, a man left the monastery after spending the night under the cured holly relics. Since he suffered from mental illness, so he needed hardware to the peace came to a sharp.
Here is also a grenade, which in left from the bombing of the Monastery by German in February 1942th. But grenade did not explode. Professional investigation later determined that the grenade was right and as such is supposed to explode. Is believed that St. Basil of Ostrog protected the Monastery. All that remind the believers that the miracles happened in Ostrog.
Many people been baptize in front of chapel in groups according to Orthodox tradition.
Saborni hram Svetog Vasilija Ostroškog - The congregational curch dedicated to St. Basil of Ostrog is build on hill known as Petrova glavica (Peter knoll). The church is located near the castle of King Nikola I Petrović.
The church is also dedicated to honor of defenders of Monte Negro and Herzegovina in the liberation wars against Turks from 1875th till 1880th year. Their names is in the memorial plaques on the side walls of church.
Great benefactor of temple was the Russian emperor Alexander III.
Works on church by plans of Russian architect Mikhail Preobraženski lasted from 17th July 1895 till 28th August 1899 year.
The construction of a large flight of steps contribute to the highlighted the monumentality of the building.
The interior is luxurious marble iconostasis with Russian icons, gift Andrew Singrosa, Greek from the island of Chios, in 1899th year.
Its first pastor was Ilija Jovićević from Ceklin. Between the two worlds wars on the tower was placed a clock 2.36 m high.
In front of Church is pillar with sculpture of Holly Mother of Good with Baby Jesus.
Ostrog Monastery, whch is not far from Niksic off the road to Podgorica, is an amazing place to visit. The upper part is set way up on the face of the mountain, and the lower part is on a plateau lower down. The view over the Bjelopavlic Plain from the upper part is truly spectacular.
We drove right up to the upper part on the precarious hairpin bend road, but it would be good, if we went again, to walk up from the lower part, from which there are steps.
Saborna Crkva Svetog Vasilija Ostroskog – the Church Cathedral of St Basil of Ostrog, called "Monastery", is the beautiful, monumental church built in the period between the July 17th 1895 and August 28th 1900, on the hill called Petrova glavica. At that time it was the symbol of new, liberated Montenegro. The founder of the church was King Nikola. The church was designed by Russian architect Preobrazenski (or Preobrazhensky),* whose plans were slightly altered by the king himself, considering the shape of the bell tower. The facade ornaments were carved by craftsman Milos Lepetic.
The reason of Church Cathedral of St Basil of Ostrog being called "Manastir" – "Monastery" could be find in fact that in Ostrog Monastery, one of the major pilgrimage sites in the Balkans, located near Niksic, is the tomb of church patron Sveri Vasilije Ostroski – St Basil of Ostrog. Or, simply, "monastery" sounded greater than "church".
Thumbs of heroes of liberation wars in 19th century Novak Jovovic and Stojan Kovacevic are by the church.
* In the church booklet the name of the architect is stated as Mihail Mihailovich Preobrazenski, but the inscription on the pillar in the church gives his name as Alesandro Preobrazenski. We could not find any other data on the architect which would point us his name.
There is a pillar with sculpture of Holy Mother of God with Baby Jesus in front of staircase leading to Saborna Crkva Svetog Vasilija Ostroskog – Church Cathedral of St Basil of Ostrog, called "Monastery". This sculpture, artwork of Russian sculptor Wjatscheslaw Michailowitsch Klikov (1939 – 2006), is present to people of Niksic, and inscription on the base of pillar, in Serbian and Russian, says so – "Present to brother Slavic people of Niksic from people of Russia". Sculpture was set on its place in 2003, after some argues about location appropriateness, but the final decision seems to be very good.
Holy Mother of God with Baby Jesus is one of three Klikov's sculptures presented to Serbia and Montenegro. The other two are Saint Sava near the Temple of St Sava in Belgrade and Saint Sergey Radoneski in Danube park in Novi Sad.
On the central Niksic square, Trg slobode – Square of Freedom, there is Equestrian sculpture of King Nikola – Nicholas I of Montenegro. This sculpture, erected in may 2006, is artwork of Serbian sculptor Miodrag Zivkovic, author of "Broken Wing" – monument to the executed pupils in Kragujevac.
The monument of the last Montenegrin king should get proper surrounding in the days to come – the first strep towards that has been made – the monument is not in the middle of the parking place anymore.
Dvorac kralja Nikole – Palace of King Nikola – Nicholas I of Montenegro was built in in 1900. It is, along with Saborna Crkva Svetog Vasilija Ostroskog – the Church Cathedral of St Basil of Ostrog, the peak of the Niksic architecture. This massive Neo-Renaissance edifice was reconstructed several times in its history, the most recently – in the first decade of the 21st century.
Palace of King Nikola houses Zavicajni muzej Niksica – the County Museum of Niksic and Gradska biblioteka – the City Library. The museum has Archaeological, Ethnological and Historical collection. The most attractive is Archaeological collection containing artifacts from the prehistoric site Crvena Stijena. Large part of the ground floor of the palace occupies Art Gallery.
"Stone Town" was the monumental group of statues erected in 1993 near the Palace of King Nikola, in Niksic. It was artwork of Ratko Vulanovic, Montenegrin and Serbian sculptor born in Niksic. The height of the highest of granite blocks of "Stone Town" was about 5 m.
Ratko Vulanovic is author of the similar group called "Gates of Belgrade", located at the entrance of Ada Ciganlija, Sava river island artificially connected to the mainland, in Belgrade.
In 2008 Niksic authorities ordered deconctruction of "Stone Town", and this artwork, the most extraordinary sculptural composition in Montenegro, was destroyed! It is the decision many future generations will regret for.
On the central Niksic square, Trg slobode – Square of Freedom, opposite of equestrian sculpture of King Nikola, there is modest but nice fountain. Fountain sculpture – "Birds" was made by Milun Misko Cvorovic in 2005.
Ostrog monastery stands on a hill between Danilovgrad and Niksic. The monastery was built by Vladika St.Vasilije of Zahumlje and Herzegovina, one of the four Montenegrin saints, in the 17th century. His relics are kept in the Monastery. The relics of St.Vasilije and the monastery are believed to have healing power. The monastery is a major sanctuary and a favorite visiting place for Orthodox Christians.
The monastery has two churches. The Upper Church, built in a cave, was constructed in 1665. The wall paintings in the Upper Church, from the same period, are attributed to the artist Radul. The Lower Church dates from the 18th century. Among its treasures, the Church owns a prayer book (Mineon) from 1732 and decorated candlesticks from 1779.