Among the grayness of the Montenegrin karsts, where thousands years ago the steep slopes of Durmitor and Vojnik had clashed during the big geological movements, carved into the hard rock, lies the Komarnica canyon, the last conquered canyon in Europe. In 1965, Montenegrin mountaineers had finally explored this canyon with a lot of efforts. Its symbolic name Nevidio (Unseen) or Nevidbog (God-unseen) as it is also called, reminds of mysterious unapproachability of the canyon, which was hidden from human eyes for a long time. The canyon is 3,5 km long and 50 km far from Zabljak, in Savnik direction. Some hundred meters before the entrance into the canyon, there is a big waterfall Grabovine. Vertical cliffs, waterfalls, gorges, foaming cascades, narrow channels and the real gallery of the stone figures – are the main actors in the story about Nevidio.
The Monastery was built in 1573-1586 under the Herzegovina metropolitan Savatij Sokolovic. During Turkish occupation, construction became possible due to Savatij?s uncle Mehmed-Pasha Sokolovic, one of the Constantinopolitan viziers. In the XVII century the interior walls were painted by Kotor's masters with the frescoes that had about 1260 sq.m in size. In 1982 before the canyon flooding, the Monastery was dismantled and relocated 2 km. from its historical place. Layer of frescoes were preliminary removed, and after building renewal, lied back in its place again.
We visited this restaurant and enjoyed an excellent meal on its terrace, looking out over the fields running down to Lake Piva. The cost was about 30 euros for the three of us. Excellent value!