Did you mean?Try your search again
Gucevo is a wooded mountain that surpasses Banja Koviljaca from the southern part.The mountain and the spa are two indivisible notions that are connected in so many ways.The mountain of Gucevo extends along the northwest-southeast direction and from Koviljaca to the mountain Boranja it has the length of 15 kilometers. The highest top of the Gucevo Mountain is called Crni Vrh and its altitude is 779 m above sea level. Geologists found that the mountain of Gucevo is composed of different rocks, limestone and sand rocks being some of them. There was a terrain fissure on the location of the mountain so many years ago, which is significant to the occurrence of thermo-mineral waters. Several lodging and restaurant facilities were built on the mountain for the needs of tourists and picnickers. The mountain of Gucevo is rich with springs of cold, clear and potable water. The springs give smaller brooks over passed by high trees of large beech forests. At the top of the mountain there is a memorial charnel house dedicated to killed solders in the battle for this mountain in 1914. The clearing around the memorial charnel house gives a magnificent view around. Like on the palm of a hand, the river Drina dominates the area meandering between Macva and Semberija.
The monastery of Saint Nicola in Soko Grad is located at the edge of three municipalities (Ljubovija, Krupanj and Mali Zvornik). It was built in 2000 near the medieval Soko Grad from XV century, known as the last Turkish fortification in Serbia. The monastery surrounding is rich with wild and untouched nature, dominated by the heights and waterfalls.
Written Nov 21, 2004
Favorite thing: Modern development Spa Koviljaca has started in 1898, when on the first of august was published the low about giving The Spa Koviljaca (Smrdan Puddle) to the people of district Podrinje for exploration. This low was created in The State Department of Serbia Monarchy and was signed by the king and the government.
And from that year until the 1930 for development of Koviljaca spa was done a lot.
In the year 1930 Koviljaca went to Drinska Banovina, whit capital in Sarajevo.
Until the beginning of wars for independence from Turkey (1912) building in The Spa was very intensive.
Until 1970 this sanatorium worked under the name “ Natural Sanatorium Spa Koviljaca” and thanks to changes which were brought in, The Spa grow up and the its name has became “ Institute for dissipate and posttraumatic conditions”. From that period the old respect of The Spa had began to reconstruct and the interest of visitors and users of its recourses grow.
1980 a new house with the part for therapy, hotel capacity, swimming pool, restaurants and offices has started with work.
Today that house is the main medical diagnostic center or the “heart” of Koviljaca Spa.
From 1998 it has been called “Special hospital foe rehabilitation Spa Koviljaca”
Written Nov 21, 2004
Favorite thing: Archeological experiments had showed that the area of Koviljaca Spa had been populated a long time ago. There are relicts, which are providing how on that place was big roman settlement “Genzis”.
In the Middle Ages, under the walls of the town Koviljka, people had Attend natural mineral springs.
In 18th century the rich Turkish from Macva and Podrinje had been coming to visit this region.
There are some documents that the Turkish from Zvornik in 1720. had built one medical bathroom for women, and also this old document says that they had used healing mud even very before.
It was been called The Stinking Spa because of the stinking puddle which, was exactly on the place where sulfuric water had been coming out on the surface, and during years and ages, in swampy area, had created a black sulfuric mud, from where had been coming out and expanding a stench which smelled like gunpowder or rot eggs.
Across the village Smrdan, and also across the thermo-mineral spring leaded one caravan-road, and there is one legend that tells the story haw the medical power of Stinking puddle was discovered. “ A long time ago that road were passing some companions of the caravan, which had had to leave their horse because he was very exhausted and wounded and was falling from fatigue and rolling in black mud, and lying in the worm sulfuric water.
When the caravan had been returning, they had found their horse cured, eating the grass. This is haw the halting power of Spa Koviljaca had been discovered.
Vuk Karadzic, 1827 describing this region, wrote about stinking sulfuric puddle and cold mineral springs.
Spa had got its name from one very popular, favorite and gentle plant “Kovilja” (Stipa panneta lin.) which grow on nearby slopes and hills.
The first chemical analysis of water did chemist Ilic in the year 1855. The first house for placing guests with ten rooms was built in 1858. 1867. under the order of the duchy Mihailo Obrenovic, The Spa won the state protection.
Written Nov 21, 2004