Dorcol is one of oldest parts of Belgrade. I love that part of town. For the start visit Church of Aleksandar Nevski.
This church has interesting history. 1876 Russian come to Serbia to help their orthodox brothers and they bought with them moving church dedicated to Aleksandar Nevski. In 1877 permanent church made of stone was built but only fourteen years later in 1891 church was demolished because of urbanization of Dorcol. Heir prince and latter King Aleksandar Karadjordjevic laid foundation stone of new church in May 12, 1912 but Balkan war and First World War stopped again building of new church. 1927 building started again and in 1930 it was finished. King Aleksandar Karadjordjevic donated the marble iconostasis. Royal family Karadjordjevic was one of great donators to this church.
Established in 1967 BITEF (Belgrade International Theatre Festival) represents one of the rare theatre festivals of the world in whose program experimental, avant-garde, and exploring forms appear. Simultaneously with great classical productions.
This church is located in the historical Dorcol district. It was built in 1928/29. Its architecture reflects the traditional Moravska style of Serbian architecture.
Nightly service at 5pm (everyday except Sat.)
Morning services at 7:30am (except Sun. & holidays)
Sunday service at 9am
The Bajrakli Mosque is inside the dorcol quarter, to be honets it's not easy to find as it's not advertised in the main streets, but only once you get really close to it.
It was built in 1575 and today it's the only Mosque left in Belgrade of the 273 that had existed during the Ottoman empire. It was converted to Roman catholic church during the occupation of austrians and later began a mosque again.
It was burned during the war in Kosovo as a reactions to the fires given to churches in that area, damages can be seen yet.
This old church is located in dorcol quarter and has been built in 1877 and then dedicated to St. Alexander Newsky.
In the church's choirs there are the monuments dedicated to the solders killed during the liberation wars 1876-1918 and some other monuments dedicated to some zars.
Given all the bad wrap that Serbia has gotten over the last twenty years, it might be surprising to learn that not only is there a mosque in the Serbian capital, but that it is nearly 500 years old and that it is still used for its original purpose. The Bayrakli Dzamija (Turkish for “mosque with flag) is a small and otherwise unassuming structure in the capital’s Dorcel district. It’s wedged in-between other buildings, some of which bear traces of old Belgrade. It was constructed in 1575 and is the only one of the 273 mosques that were built in the city during the Turkish occupation. Today it is still used by the city’s Muslim minority, some of whom are Turks or Albanians but most of whom, I gather, are Muslim Slavs, whether from Serbia, the Sandzak or Bosnia. The fact that the Mosque is still in use means that you shouldn’t expect some sort of elaborate display like in a museum, and also that you must remove your shoes before entering the prayer hall. There is security outside the mosque, and this is likely because of the incidents that occurred in March 2004, when a mob, angry about the destruction of Serbian Orthodox Churches and Monasteries in Kosmet (Kosovo and Metohija) turned on the Bayrakli Mosque and set it alike. The structure has since been restored to its former appearance, and was reopened for prayers. It should be noted that, although the mob turned on the Mosque in order to exact revenge for damages in Kosmet, Muslim organizations in Serbia have supported the official view that Kosovo is an inalienable part of Serbia’s sovereign territory.
The Belgrade Zoological Garden founded in 1936 is situated in part of the Belgrade fortress, in Kalemegdan, the most important cultural-historical monument of Belgrade.
Even though it covers a surface of only seven hectares, the Garden possesses an extremely large animal stock of good quality. It consists of over 2,000 animals, including around 270 animal species.
The Belgrade Zoological Garden works all 365 days of the year.
In the winter period the box-office is open from 8:00 to 17:00.
In the summer period the box-office is open from 8:00 to 20:00.
The Zoo closes thirty minutes after the closing of the box-office.
The ticket prices:
- adults (over 15 years of age) 250 dinars per person
- children (from 3 to 15 years of age) 200 dinars per person
- students' excursions (over 15 persons) 150 dinars per person
Children under 3 years of age can enter the garden free of charge.
This mosque was build between 1660 and 1668 , and this is the unique mosque who was left in Belgrade of 80 mosque who was existed. Even whe austrians was ocuped Serbia was converted to Catholic Church but when Ottoman was retomed Belgrade this will return to Mosque again. The name of the mosque Bayrakli whit means whit flag in Turkish.
The Museum keeps a collection of old textbooks, pedagogical literature, books, magazines and documents from 18th century to present day. Entrance Fee.
(Tue. - Fri. 10-17, Saturdays and Sundays 10-15, Mondays closed)
Ethnographic museum in Belgrade is one of the oldest museums on the Balkans. Recently it has celebrated its hundredth anniversary and it rightfully deserves to be called a guardian of national culture.
Lazy summer hot afternoon and you do not know what to do all by yourself.
Walk around the Kej 25. on the Danube bank near Dorcol area. there is a sport center, great vciew on the Kalemegdan tower and you can walk all around the park.
The Bajrakli mosque was built between the years of 1660 and 1688 by Sultan Suleiman 3. Like the city it was built in, it was destroyed many times but always reconstructed and it is actively used today.
The only preserved mosque in Belgrade. It was built around 1575, as a memorial of Sultan Suleiman II, after Belgrade newly fell into the hands of the Turks. It was one of 273 mosques and masjids, that have existed in Belgrade in the Turkish times. Originally, its name was Cohadzi-mosque, after the endower Hajji-Ali, a cloth merchant. It is a single-spaced building with dome and minaret. During Austrian rule (1717-1739) it was turned into a Catholic church. It was turned back into a mosque when the Turks returned. Hussein-bey, chehaya (assistant) of Turkish chief commander Ali-pasha, renewed the building in 1741, and, for some time after, it was called Hussein-bey's mosque or Hussein-chehaya's mosque. At the end of the XVIII century it was named Bajrakli-mosque, after the flag which has been raised as a sign for simultaneous beginning of prayers in all mosques. After its renewal in the XIX century, made by the Serbian dukes, it became the main city mosque.
Unfortunately, the mosque was burned buy some idiots during demonstration against Albanian terror on Kosovo and Metohia against Serbs, on 17th March 2004. City and Republic goverment promissed that it will be reconstructed as soon as it possible.
Author: RUDOLF VALDEC
Bronze 300 cm, total height 500 cm. Erected in 1911 in front of the former National Library (entrance to Kalemegdan), and in 1930 transferred to Univerzitetski Park.
Inscribed on the monument is a maxim: "Learn while going, look at centuries!"
(Cakovo, Banat, 1739 - Belgrade 1811), writer, philosopher, teacher and popular educator.
As a young man he has entered a monastery but, later, left monastic life and travelled widely and studied at European universities. He was one of the most important and influential Serbian personalities of the XVIII and early XIX centuries. He moved to Serbia in 1806 during the First Serbian Insurrection, and in 1808 founded the Great School, afterwards becoming in 1811 the first Minister of Education. He aspired to educate the people of Serbia by spreading his knowledge and ideas among them. As a rationalist, patriot and reformer, he fought against superstition and the omnipotence of the Church, and he was one of the first who strove to unite the Yugoslav peoples regardless of their religious differencies. He pleaded for usage of popular language in literature, liberation of women from slavish position etc. The most important works: "Zivot i prikljucenija", "Basne", "Sovjeti zdravog razuma". He has been buried in the yard of the Cathedral Church in Belgrade.
Jovan Cvijic was born on october 11. (september 29. by old calendar) 1865 in Loznica His father was Todor Cvijic, merchant by ocupation. His mother was Marija, maiden name Avramovic, from Korenita, village in Jadar area, which is close to Tronosa Monastery and Trsic, village where Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic. Cvijic finished higher gimnasium in Belgrade in First Belgrade Gimnasium. When he finished gimnasium in year, Cvijic wanted to study medicine aboard, but his municipality couldn't pay his scholarship. His professor from Sabac gimnasium, Vladimir Karic, suggested him to attend geography lectures on Great School in Belgrade. Cvijic did that, and entered the Nature-mathematics section of Great School. He finished his studies in the year of 1888.For one school-year he was lecturer in Second Belgrade Gimnasium. After that, in 1889 he started studies of physical geography and geology on Wienna University with state scolarship. Cvijic finished his studies in Wienna in 1892 and in 1893 he defended his doctor disertation on subject „Das Karstphänomen“ on the same university.In March, 1893 . he became regular professor of Phylosophy Faculty of Great School in Belgrade. First he held physical geography and etnography lectures, and later only geography lectures.
He started scientific work as student of Great School, when he wrote work „Appendix to our geographical terminology“, and continued as high-school professor, and student in Wienna, when he examined geography of eastern Serbia , Istra and Adriatic and on this topic he wrote several works and his disertation. His whole life he dedicated to examination of Serbia and Balkans and he almost every year traveled across Balkans.
Etnopsychological typisation that Cvijic gave in this works, was ideologicaly severely criticized after WWII in Yugoslavia.
He died on january, 16. 1927, in Belgrade, at age 62.