The monastery church was dedicated to one of the most beloved saint on Balkans-St. Petka (Paraskeva) so it's reason while monastery is known as Petkovica. According to the tradition, founded by the widow of Stefan Stiljanovic, despotess Jelena. The monastery is first mentioned in Turkish documents of 1566-67. The church has a trefoil ground plan that has still been preserved except for the wooden bell- tower, which was replaced in the mid-18th century. The fresco paintings, a good portion of which has been preserved, were finished in 1588. In the 18th century, the church was renovated several times and in 1735 got a new iconostasis with a large carved cross. During WWII the church was deserted and the old icons carried off and lost forever. The monastery has been partly renovated. During our visit in summer 2007. work in interior of the church was under progress so we couldn't fully admire the beauty of late mediaeval frescos. Hope that they will finish their work soon...
Church is in function now but there are still so much that has to be done especially in church interior. Have to say that it looks much better now then in early '90 when i visited this monastery for a first time. Monastery has really fine natural setting and also great garden around so it's really pleasant place to spend few hours there.
The monastery with the church dedicated to the birth of the Virgin is situated on the western slopes of the Fruska Gora mountain. According to the written sources it was founded in 1520 by refugee monks from the Serbian monastery of Zica, who tore down the original church of St. Nicolas called Remetsko, and erected on its site a new church. During 16th and 17th century the Turkish sources mention a series of construction interventions on the whole monastery complex. The today's church was built in 1778 by the Bishop of Vrsac, Vicentije Popovic. The monks' quarters were erected on three sides, while the fourth was closed by the church itself. The quarters acquired their present appearance at the beginning of the 19th century. The cemetery chapel was dedicated to St. Paul and St. Peter, and the chapel was built in 1750. It was an important cultural centre at the beginning of 19th century, but was destroyed systematicly by the partizans, croatian ustashas and comunists in mid 20th century. A systematic restoration of the whole complex was begun in 1979 and completed in 1996 with the consecration of the temple.
Mandjelos is small village on the southern doorsteops of Fruska Gora mountain. It's very lovely village (you can't see that on my photo), with baroque-clasicist church built in 1802, small chapel at picnic ground of Vranjas and very warm and friendly people. It's only several kilometers north of Sremska Mitrovica.
The church was wall painted in the late XVI and early XVII century (only the fragments and the Christ Pentokrator in the cube arch are saved to nowdays). There is also new iconostasis. Small cemetery chapel on the hill above monastery complex dedicated to the Virgin Mary was built in 1751. and has iconostasis made by Janko Halkozovic and Vasa Ostojic. Croatian fascists heavily damaged monastery during World War II, and many of the artistic and cultural values were inrepairable deteriorated. Recent years the works are taking place to restore the monastery and archeologically explore the church.
Raka Milosevic, “The Great Secretary” of the despot Jovan Brankovic, of whom he got the name in XV century, founded the monastery. The monastery was damaged during austo-turkish wars in late XVII century. The monastery complex suffered changes along with building of the bell tower in 1735 but there still exist medieval church (from 1533 or earler) in its almost original form. The monastery doss got their three side shape in 1771.
Church is set in the small peaceful valley and has great position. There is also one small chapel on monastery ground. Janko Halkozovic painted the iconostasis in 1759. Wall paintings are not of high interest and were painted in 1910 by Kosta Vandjelovic.
According to the legend, king Dragutin founded monastery in XIV century, which gave it to monastery of Raca on river Drina. Monastery was mentioned in some Turkish documents in early XVI century. Church was small and made of stone. At late XVII century escaped monks of Raca monastery renewed monastery. In 1739 was built new, present date, church. There are no baroque influences on the church architecture. That’s the best example of the traditional southern Serbian architectonic style and that make this church unique on Fruska Gora.