Nis Restaurants

Kafana Kod Martin: My mixed salad
    by HORSCHECK
    Cevapi, raznjici and french fries
    Ice cream and Cedevita drink

Most Recent Restaurants in Nis

• planxty's Profile Photo

Help required.: Not much of a tip really.

by planxty Updated Jan 4, 2013

Pekara / Bakery, Nis, Serbia.

Update January 2013.

I mentioned in the main body of the text that I could not translate the name but my good friend Tina (VT member MacedonianUK) has ridden to the rescue as you can see in the comment below. It means "pekara Brankovic founded 1885". Thanks Tina.

When I write tips on VT I do like to give as much information as possible and I will this time but it is just that the amount of information available to me is pretty small. However, I hope to give the reader enough to locate a food outlet that is definitely worth finding.

I am a great lover of a late night snack, and was delighted to stumble upon this place at some quite ridiculous hour the night I was in Nis. Let's be honest, late night places can vary greatly in quality but this place was an absolute gem. It is really a bakery, it was spotlessly clean and the staff were baking in full public view, drawing trays of the most delightful savouries out of the ovens. A sort of sausage in pastry thing, a delightful pice of cheese pie and another little meat savoury quite hit the spot and all for pennies. Even my total lack of Serbian didn't deter the friendly staff, point and smile being quite sufficient as it so often is. there are a couple of little counters to eat your purchases if you don't want to take them home.

This is where the problem begins. My reading of Cyrillic script is nowhere near sufficient to tell you the name of the place, so if any of my Cyrillic spelling friends can help with a transliteration, I would be most grateful. similarly, I am having trouble with Google maps for the same reason. What I can tell you is that if you walk towards the river from the main pedestrian square where the Liberators monument is, it is on the left hand side. The distance is not far so you should find it.

Apologies again for the paucity of information but I thought it right to put it up here as I really did enjoy this place so much. I am sure there are literally dozens of such good bakeries in Nis well worthy of patronage but I thought I would offer this one from personal experience.

Favorite Dish: Well, it was all rather good.

Caffe Pedoni - Niska Banja

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 4, 2011

Caffe Pedoni

During our sidetrip to the spa town of Niska Banja we had a rest in the Caffe Pedoni.

The cafe is integrated in the building complex of the Spa Hotel Radon, but has several outdoor terraces facing the park. They offer a small range of snacks, like pancakes and sandwiches, as well as all sorts of drinks.

I opted for two scoops of ice cream (80 RSD) and a Cedevita drink (80 RSD). Our waiter was friendly and seemed to be quite happy to speak to us in English.

Kazandzijsko Sokace - Kafana Kod Martin

by HORSCHECK Updated Nov 14, 2009

Kafana Kod Martin

Kazandzijsko Sokace is a small part in the city centre of Nis which used to be the home of tinkers and craftsmen. Nowadays it is lined with cafes and restaurants.

On our first evening we had dinner at the Kafana Kod Martin, which was recommended to us by our hostel.

A Kafana is a typical simple Serbian restaurant which offers local food. You don't necessarily have to order food here; you can just come for a drink.

The interior is kept in a simple wooden style. On warm days people usually sit outside at the tables on the cobbled street and watch the world go by.

The menu offers traditional meat dishes, most of which are listed with a weight of 300 gramms. Salad or side dishes have to be ordered separately.

We decided on a portion of cevapi and a portion of raznjici, as well as french fries and a Serbian salad. The food was excellent and very tasty. Please note that meat portions of 300 gramm are massive, so it should normally be enough to order just one meat portion and share it between two people.

Including drinks we only paid 1110 RSD (about 12 Euro, 2009), which was a real bargain.

Pekara Brankovic

by HORSCHECK Written Nov 13, 2009

Pekara Brankovic

As our hostel didn't include breakfast we once had a late breakfast in the centrally located branch of the bakery Pekara Brankovic.

It is a family run bakery, whose history dates back to 1885. Nowadays they have about 9 stores in Nis. We visited the one on the Trg Kralja Milana, which also has some outdoor seating available on the square and is therefore excellent for people watching.

They offer a wide range of all sorts of bakery products including sandwiches for affordable prices. We bought our pastries and drinks at the counter and enjoyed our breakfast in the outdoor seating area.

Kazandzijsko Sokace - Kafana Kod Rajka

by HORSCHECK Written Nov 13, 2009

Kafana Kod Rajka: Pork and chicken raznjici

Kod Rajka is another traditional Serbian Kafana, which offers typical local dishes like cevapi, raznjici, and pljeskavica. Side dishes and salad have to be ordered separately.

They have indoor and outdoor seating. Of course we took a seat at the tables facing the cobbled street and enjoyed some poeple watching.

Like in the adjacent Kafana Kod Martin, the menu lists the weight of the portions, which are slighly smaller in the Kod Rajka and therefore also cheaper. Our waiter was quite happy to speak in English with us.

We ordered pork and chicken raznjici with 250 grams each and shared it between us, as well as one portion of french fries (80 g), a portion of cucumber salad (300 g) and two breads. Again our meal was tasty and quite filling. Including drinks the bill was only 920 RSD (about 10 Euro, 2009).

• bonio's Profile Photo

Stara Serbia: Tasty food

by bonio Written Jun 10, 2009

Spotted this restaurant on a walk around town. Friendly and helpful staff and a large comfortable outdoor area for warm days.
    Plenty of local favourites on the menu, and several vegetarian options for Mrs Bonio, large portions, tasty and at a good price, both enjoyed ourselves here.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Picerija Mamma: Good pizza

by bonio Written Jun 7, 2009

Close to our hotel and a excellent choice.
    Large and tasty pizzas for us, both went for different vegetarian options and both very happy.
    comfortable outdoor seating on a warm evening, nicely done amongst the wood for th epizza oven.
    Enjoyed our visit here.

• Aurorae's Profile Photo

Nišlijska Mehana: Nišlijska Mehana

by Aurorae Written Sep 20, 2005

Ni��lijska Mehana by Jelena

One of the main features of Serbian culture is great attention to food, and wherever you go somewhere be prepared to be stuffed to death!
    Nišlijska Mehana is a traditional cuisine restaurant in Niš, where food is one of the best in Serbia.
    Waitors are dressed in national costumes, food is served in traditional pottery and everyone is very kind, funny and amusing, that's another feature of Nišlije (people of Niš).

• Aurorae's Profile Photo

Sinđelić: Sinđelic

by Aurorae Updated Sep 20, 2005

Nis by Jelena

A great restaurant in the center, inside the typical Serbian house, with a lovely garden and a very yummy food. It's very near Pobeda street (main street).
    BTW, Sinđelić was the duke, from Niš, a famous warrior who fought against Turks.

• anna-m's Profile Photo

Tramvaj: Are you up for a fruit salad?

by anna-m Written Dec 21, 2004

"Tramvaj" (meaning "tram", or "street car"), is one of the oldest cafeterias in Nis. When it was first built, with its interiors resembling that of a tram, it was a major tourist attraction in Nis! Even today, it lives up to its name, because the desserts are fabulous, and the service is excellent!

Favorite Dish: They do a variety of fruit salads and shakes, but a hot chocolate is simply a must! :)

Nislijska mehana: A taste of old Nis

by anna-m Updated Nov 21, 2004

Nis, as the whole of south Serbia, is famous for its grilled specialties and good food in general. It boasts with numerous restaurants, and I have chosen this one because of its authentic atmosphere - it captures the spirit of "old Nis" in a very good way.
    There is live music almost every night, and those of you who are not really fond of it can evade it by coming during the lunchtime :)

Favorite Dish: The food there is excelentlly prepared and very fresh.
    My favourite (quite predictably) are cevapcici (shish kebabs)- but they really ARE the best in town! :)

• anna-m's Profile Photo

King Burger: when you are in a hurry

by anna-m Written Jun 17, 2004

No, I did not misspell "Burger king"- it is a pun, and an intended one, because this "King" uses REAL meat for its burgers :)
    They are considerably big and come with a variety of salads and dressings

Favorite Dish: Pitta Burger...mmmm...

• anna-m's Profile Photo

Go-Go pizzeria: The best pizza in town

by anna-m Updated Jun 17, 2004

There are many pizza-places in Nis, but (at least to me) only one qualifies as good, and that is Go-Go pizzeria. Don't be mislead by its weird name, there are no "go-go" dancers in there :) - only great pizzas, sandwiches and omellets with tons of toppings! Yummy!

• "Biser": Great grill and salads !!!

by Gacik Updated Jun 11, 2004

Fantastic ambience and service,
    staff speaks english and they always try to please you at any way.
    Nice guys !

Favorite Dish: I eat cevapcici with some bread called "albanska salata". Sopska salad is great, mixed tomato, cucumber with chees...

I think "Biser" is some kind of old style kitchen mixed with traditional Serbian food, beans and so...

• Architecture
    • Eco-Tourism

• Ankhesenamun's Profile Photo

"Turist": Sweets, sweets, sweets!!!!!!!

by Ankhesenamun Written Apr 9, 2003

Ice cream, cookies, cakes, sweeeeets!!!!!! What else can i say? It is the best dessert restaurant in the world (for me) :)

Favorite Dish: Baklava (traditional sweet), Sampita (shampita), Bombice.....mmmmmm.....everything´s tasty!!!

Instant Answers: Nis

Comments

Nis Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nis restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nis sightseeing.