Novi Pazar Travel Guide

Novi Pazar Things to Do

• Ancient art and architecture

Novi Pazar is conveniently situated for visiting a large number of sites of great importance in the history of Christian art and architecture: Sopocani monastery (a UNESCO world heritage site - about 10 miles out - I found the frescoes stunning - you could spend days looking at them - particularly friendly monks), Studenica monastery (also a UNESCO...

• Sopocani Monastery

This is best sight of Novi Pazar don't forget it, this monastery was erected by king Uros in mid 13th century. The turk was destroyed a part of monastry at the end of 17th century, but the majority of the frescos remain.One of best things of monastery it was the hospitality of monks. They gave to an explanation on the monastery and his history ,...

• Altum Alem Mosque

This mosque is most beautiful mosque in Novi Pazar, has a unique architecture, and was build by Abdul Gani. The copulas makes unique than other mosques in the town and from the region.

• Water Tower

This tower was part of a old 15th century turkish period fortress, you see fortress and tower from the hotel vrbak. today is park, this tower today reaimains closed.

• Petrova Crkva (Church of San Peter)

Its the oldest church in serbia, build in stone, this beautiful church make sensation of acient, i want to see the interior of the Church but was locked, may guidebook says to ask the nearest house for the kepeer of the key, but the nearest house but theres nobody inside in the house :(

• Novi Pazar Views

This town has turkish influcied architecture and lot of mosques, views shops every where selling clothes, food, jewellery and other thing you can walk whit half hour you can see sights of the town.

• Walk to feel the essence

To feel the essence of this muslim atmosphere I recommend you to walk. Then you can see, touch, listen and smell that atmosphere, and why I tell that.One good street to start is the one who cross the river by a bridge and go south to the mosque. Here is plenty of small shops, from bakeries to tea shops, also bureks, mlecni restaurants and cevapcici...

• Altum Alem Mosque

This is the most important Turquish building in the town. From the 16th century, was built by the master builder Abdul Gani. Has a square plan, a dome, a minaret and a spaciuos porch covered with cupolas that aren't typical from the region.

• Hammam (Turkish Baths)

Turkish Baths that probably date from the 1460s and wich was endowed to the town by its founder Isa-Bey Isakovc. Symmetrical structure with faclities for simultaneous bathing by men and women. Nowadays the entrance is something like an outdoor terrace of a bar (there are some tables, and music, and when we were there some people sit and drinking)....

Novi Pazar Restaurants

by McCoq Written Sep 5, 2005

We saw this place and thought: "what a strange McDonald's!!". But later, paying attention we saw lots of strange things: the inside didn't seem from the typical McDonald's, the food was quite different, and there were no posters offering the new "hamburgers". But hey!!, the M logo(the yellow and typical from the american company) seems the same (probably litigious). They have internatonal fast food.

Novi Pazar Transportation

by McCoq Updated Sep 6, 2005

If you don't have your own way of transport, the best way to arrive to Novi Pazar is the bus, cause there isn't train station here. Several buses arrive to and leave from the town. But if you want to go somewhere first ask in information, cause some of the buses that are in timetables doesn't exist. Ah!! Don't try to use toilet facilities here, maybe you die trying. A disgusting smell of urine can be noticed from 500m far away (exagerating).
    Bus station is in the north of the town. From center follow Stevana Nemanja, and turn right (where? i don't remember the name of the street, but i'm sure you'll see some bus at the right ;-) )
    Additional information: there's no direct bus to Uzice.
    About the picture: coming here from north you will cross nice landscapes of low green hills. This is one of them, in one stop of the bus near Novi Pazar.

Novi Pazar Local Customs

• Muslims

Men and women seems to live more separete existences here. There is plenty of coffee houses full of men drinkng in small glasses of caj or turska kava. And like muslims they are (someone told me that are about 70-80% of muslims here), many women cover themselves up in the Islamc manner. In many shops there are Islamics texts, symbols and pictures...

• A peculiar way to park cars

For me is so funny. When I arribed to Serbia, to Novi Sad, I noticed that they park cars on any avaible piece of pavement they find, but here in Novi Pazar they take that "tradition" to the extrem. Constantly forcing pedestrians out into narrow streets.

• Novi Pazar Hotels

0 Hotels in Novi Pazar

Novi Pazar Tourist Traps

by McCoq Written Sep 5, 2005

There is not tourist information in the town. So, there are no maps available. Why there is such an utter absence of information about the town? Is a mistery for me. But the town is little, and is difficult you get lost ;-)

Fun Alternatives: If you need some information, go to the tourist agency "Ecco Travel", at 28 November number 54. Tel: 23 832 or 311 575. They can help you with local travel arrangements and organized tours. They speak english.

Novi Pazar Off The Beaten Path

• Sopoćani monastery

The Sopoćani monastery, the foundation of St. King UroŇ° I, was built in the second half of the 13th century. It is World Heritage Site, added in 1979 with Stari Ras. The church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity and completed around 1265, with interior decorated shortly after completion. The frescoes are considered one of the best of the time....

• Durdevi Stupovi (St.George's Pillars)

Few kilometres west of the town, is visible from Church of St.Peter (Petrova).Created by Stefan Nemanja on 12th century.

• Church of St.Peter (Petrova)

Lies 4km north of the town center, at the base of a grassy hill. Approaching by a walk you will notice that this part of Novi Pazar is still predominantly Serbian Orthodox.Is the oldest church in the country, dating from 8-9th century. Circular plan with central cupola. Constructed in early Byzantine tradition. The inside is dark, with a single...

Novi Pazar Favorites

• ELear's Profile Photo

by ELear Updated Oct 5, 2009

Favorite thing: I can't remember why I got in touch with them in the first place, but I was helped enormously on my trip by the Ecco Travel Agency in Novi Pazar. They suggested and booked the hotel, organised the taxi from Kraljevo, and got me a driver to Sopocani and round about. All these were excellent, and everything went smoothly. If I hadn't had them, I'm pretty sure I would have paid more for the hotel (and chosen one I turned out not to like - with the travel agency I just said I wanted somewhere comfortable and friendly) and also more for the taxi and the driver, everything would have been more worrying and have taken more time, and I'd have ended up stressed-out, not enjoying the visit, and probably not seeing half of what I wanted to see. I wouldn't have got to Studenica for one. Not having been allowed onto the direct bus from Skopje to Novi Pazar because of that blasted Kosovo stamp in my passport, I then called Mr Esad and he sent a taxi - driven by a village friend of his - to come and pick me up at Kraljevo. The driver stopped on the way back to Novi Pazar for me to visit Studenica. Without the travel agency, I might have got to Kraljevo, but I'm sure I'd have been worried, and I would almost certainly have got a bus from there to Novi Pazar, which would have taken much, much longer and wouldn't have allowed me to see Studenica on the way. Knowing the travel agency also meant the reassurance of having someone to fall back on if anything had gone wrong (it didn't, though, as I said), and to discuss what to do with. They know all the bus timetables, and the owner even knew one of the bus drivers who was going to take me on to Sarajevo. I wanted to stop off at Priboj and then get another bus on later - the driver of the second bus turned out to have been told to look out for me.

You will find a number of different telephone numbers on the Ecco website (http://www.ecco.co.rs/engleski/turizam.html), but the one I found best was 0038120311575, which is a mobile number. Thanks to that, when in Serbia on my bus from Skopje, although I had a Macedonian SIM card that wouldn't allow normal calls, I could still keep in touch and say when I was arriving at Kraljevo by text message.

I hope to go back next year, to the Balkans Peace Park (on the Albanian border) and upper Montenegro as well as to the Raska. If I do, I'll certainly be asking for their help and advice again. They speak good English.

I think this was the most valuable practical lesson I learnt from all this trip through Macedonia, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania - when in doubt to find a good travel agency and put things in their hands. Far better than the net, which is all too liable, if it has the information at all (many hotels, rooms, etc aren't reviewed or even mentioned), to offer information you can't trust (out of date timetables/prices, dodgy reviews, etc).

Fondest memory: I liked everything about Novi Pazar.

• Archeology

Instant Answers: Novi Pazar

Comments

Explore Deeper into Novi Pazar
Turkish Fort
Things to Do
Sopocani Monastery
Off The Beaten Path
A visit to the market area
Things to Do
strancima koji dodju u novi...
Off The Beaten Path