Fruska Gora, Novi Sad
Sremska Kamenica is charming suburb that had been independent community but now incorporated in Novi Sad. If you are interested, more about this part of the city you could find at my Sremska Kamenica page here on VT!
The first record of this monastery dates from 1467. when church was wall painted. Although it was reconstructed in XIX and in XX century the monastery church maintained it's original shape of Raca style until the World War II, when it was destroyed. Today's look monastery doss got between 1730. and 1771.
The data regarding the iconostasis and wall paintings are not well explored. The third iconostasis from 1906/09. is painted by Stevan Aleksic along the wall paintings and historic composition The Burning of the St. Sava. Parts of this iconostasis are saved in the Museum of Srem in Sremska Mitrovica. Monastery is being reconstructed after Second World War.
It is believed that it was founded in XV century although the first solid record date from 1562. A bell tower was built next to the church in 1735. The tower is second oldest and the tallest in Srem (38,60 m). It was built without the use of iron or wooden bobs or metal rings which could be used to strenghten it's structure. The tower has eight floors and the view from it is magnificent, but the walk on it's frail stairs is on your own safety.
Iconostasis was made in 1850. during the reconstruction of the church. All of the works including the wall paintings were destroyed during World War Two.
After the war monastery was reconstructed two times, and the new cube and the roof construction church got in 1982.
According to the legend, the monastery was founded by Raka Milosevic, "The Great Secretary" of the despot Jovan Brankovic, of whom he got the name. The first solid records about the monastery date from XVI century. The monastery was damaged during austo-turkish wars in late XVII century. The monastery complex suffered changes along with building of the bell tower in 1735. The monastery doss got their three side shape in 1771.
The church was wall painted in the late XVI and early XVII century (only the fragments and the Christ Pentokrator in the cube arch are saved to nowdays). Icons on the baroque iconostasis were painted by Vasa Ostojic in 1763.
Small cemetery chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built in 1751. and has iconostasis made by Janko Halkozovic and Vasa Ostojic.
Monastery was heavily damaged during World War II, and many of the artistic and cultural values were inrepairable deteriorated. Recent years the works are taking place to restore the monastery and archeologically explore the church, which was reconstructed in 1958/59.
It used to be called Remetica (Remetsko) and Remetski Monastery, and in turkish records also as Monastery of St. Stefan Iskiljanovic. It is believed that it's founded by refuged monks from Zica Monastery who tore down church of St. Nicola (1520) and on it's place built a new one dedicated to Virgin Mary, which they called Sisatovac. In this monastery were placed remains of St. Stefan Stiljanovic after they were moved from Sikos.
The old two cubed church was tore down in 1778. and on it's place built a new big one. Monastery doss buildings that were built from three sides and the church closed the circle from the north side. The doss were destoryed during the 1849. and rebuilt afterwards. The cemetery chapel dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, was built in baroque style in 1750.
Iconostasis and wall paintings of the church were done by Grigorije Davidovic Opsic during 1793/95. During Second World War the monastery along with the church were completely destroyed. Pending are preparation for rebuilding of the monastery.
Regarding traditional legend it was founded by Zmaj Ognjen Vuk in 1470. First solid data refering the monastery date as early as 1545. Monastery was abandoned before The Great Moving of the People and was restored by metropolitan Isaija Djakovic in 1708.
In second part of XVIII century the old church made from stone was replaced with new baroque one. The new church was restored between 1898. and 1901. At that time the monastery doss who surround the church from all four sides were renewed.
The old iconostasis painted by Jakov Orfelin in 1772/74. was tore down during the church restoration, and new iconostasis was painted by Uros Predic.
During World War II the monastery was severely damaged and is gradually repaired since 1953.
With the church of The Holy Trinity was founded in 1736. It was finished in 1758. Near the western side the baroque bell house was built in 1803. Monastery doss that surround the church were built between 1736. and 1761. Icons in baroque iconostasis were painted by 1769. by Dimitrije Bacevic with associates. Between 1926. and 1930. the general reconstruction took place. During the World War Two monastery doss was destroyed but the church was undamaged. The most imoprtant news about this monastery is that the remains of emperor uros were brought here and burried here.
Monastery was first mentioned in documents from 1566. The old church with two cubes was in 1816. replaced with the new one. Monastery doss were finished at 1810. Iconostasis was done by Pavle Simic in 1848. Baroque chapel on monastery cemetery was built in 1788. In Second World War the church and the monastery in whole were tore down. The church is partially renewed.
Monastery with its church of St. Nicola, was built at late XV century by despot Jovan Brankovic. It is guessed that it was abandoned in XVII century, and during the early XVIII century it is mentioned as an metoch of the Kuvezdin Monastery. The old building of the church was renewed during 1744. The greatest changes on the church were made during 1762/64. when new chapel of St. Mary was built.
Iconostasis of the renewed church was painted during 1753/54. by Teodor Stefanov Glogovac. Since the beginning of the World War One untill 1922. the monastery was abandoned, and later renewed. During Second World War it was heavilly damaged, and the iconostasis was disassembled and damaged, and movable items stolen. Since 1980. monastery is populated again and renewed gradually.
This is one of the oldest monasteries in the Fruska Gora Monasteries group: the first trustful written resorce with the mention of the Monastery dates from 1451.
Church that exists nowdays was built in 1575/76. with the financial donations of the group of wealthy citizens, especially Lacko and Marko Jovsic, citizens of Kovin. The data concerning the church that precedes this one is insufficient.
The existing church represents one of the biggest and one of the architectonically most valuable sacral buildings of it's time.
It's architectonical structure represents a unique mixture of traditional serbian architecture and elements of the vlas artistic area, and some elements of the certain expiriences of the islamic building school. The Novo Hopovo church made an strong influence on later builders of Fruska Gora monasteries.
Next to the church during 1751/58., a massive bell house with a small chapell on thge first floor was built. At those times the whole monastery complex suffered changes in terms of the baroque spirit of the time.
The Monastery doss buildings were built during the period of 1728. and 1771., when the church was surrounded by buildings from all sides.
The walls of the church were painted both in 1604. and 1654. by two different groups of masters.
In second half of XVIII century the old iconstasis was replaced with hight alter baffle carpented by Paul and Anton Rezner. Icons on this iconstasis were painted in 1776. by Teodor Kracun.
In World War II, the monastery was tore down, the iconstasis was disassembled and damaged and movable inventory stolen.
Reconstruction of the church is being done since 1949.
Records from early XVII century state that monastery was built in mid XVI century and first solid records about the monastery are from 1566/69. From the period of rebuilding Vrdnik done by monks of monastery Ravanica near Cuprija in 1697 the old church was restored and in it the remnants of duke Lazar were burried, brought here by refuged Ravanica monks, who came here from Saint Andreja, Hungary. The monastery is beeing called Ravanica since.
Todays clasical church was built between 1801. and 1811. and two years after the old church was tore down and on it's place the big stone cross. The monastery doss were built in XVIII century.
Icons in iconostasis in the old church were painted 1743. by Stanoje Popovic. Author of the icons in the new iconostasis and wall paintings is Dimitrije Avramovic. All movable things were taken away from the church during Second World War but the monastery itself was undamaged.
Monastery was founded by Srem's despot family Brankovic at the end of XV century. The first informations of the monastery date from 1566/1567...
On the place where old simple church building was situated in 1741. and 1760., a new church was built. Doss were built between 1753. and 1771., and today's looks gained in second part of XIX century.
Icons on the old iconostasis were painted in 1747. by Stanoje Popovic, and on new iconostasis in 1786/91. by Kuzman Kolaric. The church with the doss suffered no damage during World War II, but treasury with library and archive were took away and partly burned.
It was founded by bishop Maksim (former despot Djordje Brankovic) between 1509. and 1516. Monastery was respectable from it's beginning and is mentioned during the earliest turkish record in 1546. stated as one with appreciable estate and richest in the region. In second half of XVI and XVII century it was mentioned many times. After the final withdrawal of the Turks from Srem in 1716. monastery was damaged and the church burned. It was reconstructed in mid XVII century. The monastery doss was finished in 1753.
The church was wall painted at first in XVI century, but it's inside was painted with new layer of paintings in XVIII. Iconostasis was formed of the icons from different times, some of whom are date from early XVI century.
During Second World War the monastery wasn't damaged but most of it's treasury were stolen. During the restoration works in 1962. a wall painting The Judgement Day was discovered. The church is famous of the remains of many important Serbs like sacred members of Brankovic family (Angelina, Maksim, Stefan). They are being shown only during the most important religious festivals. Here are also remains of patriarch Arsenije Carnojevic III, metropolitan Isaia Djakovic, patriarch Arsenije IV Jovanovic Sakabenta, duke Djordje Brankovic, duke Stefan Supljikac, dutches Ljubica Obrenovic, king Milan Obrenovic.
Dedicated to St. Petka, first mentioned in 1555. Church maintained the original shape to present days. Only the old wooden bell tower replaced with the new one made of stone in second part of XVIII century. Wall paintings from 1588. were mostly saved to nowdays as well. In 1735. the church got new iconostasis with big crafted cross. During World War One monastery was abandoned, and all of the icons were stolen. Iconostasis was destroyed, and the cross moved to the Museum of Srem in Sremski Karlovci.
Restoration of the church and wall paintings were done in 1950/52. and works were continued in 1981. and last nowdays as well.
According to the legend, monastery was founded by king Dragutin, who gave it to monastery of Raca. At late XVII century monastery was renewed by escaped monks of Raca monastery. The church was built in 1739. The iconostasis was painted by Janko Halkozovic in 1759. Wall paintings were painted in 1910. by Kosta Vandjelovic.