Fruška gora (Serbian Cyrillic: Фрушка гора) is a mountain in north Syrmia (Serbian Cyrillic: Срем, read: Srem). Most part of it is located within Vojvodina, Serbia, but a smaller part from west is in Croatia.
In east-west extends Fruska gora has over a length of 78 km and a north-south direction is the maximum width is 15 km. It occupies an area of about 500 km2. It is a low mountain which is the highest peak (Crveni čot) at 539 m. Height of 400 m has only the central part of the mountain, while the eastern and western peripheries form below and a plateau.
This area has the largest deposit of linden in Europe. Fruska gora has exceptional value above a forest of oak, beech, linden, elm, poplar and willow. The large areas was covered with orchards and vineyards.
Fruška Gora Monasteries (16th) were declared Monuments of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1990, and are protected by Serbia. It refers as Serbian Holly Mountain or Serbian Atos (like Atos in Greece).
Even at first look at the geographic map of Vojvodina, in its south part, one can see vivid Fruška Gora Mountain, between rivers Sava and Danube. With its ecosystem it represents unique bio-geographic area. There is archeological evidence that people lived on Fruška Gora even 50 000 years ago. Archeological sites near Čortanovci and Sremski Karlovci can prove this. And later, through the history, significance of Fruška Gora was not diminished because Romans built one of their most important cities - Sirmium, right there on Fruška Gora. Today on the same spot where Sirmiun was is Sremska Mitrovica. Fruška Gora is nick named North Sveta Gora and not accidentally, because there are 16 monasteries on Fruška Gora today. Through the history there were more than thirty monasteries on this mountain and today there are 16 of them, and some of those are in ruins or partly renovated. Until the Second World War all of them were glistering in all their beauty. Some of them are from the XII century. Names of the monasteries are: Beočin (founded in the end of 15th century), Bešenovo (founded in 1467), Divša (founded in the end of 15th century), Grgeteg (founded in 1471), Jazak (founded in 1736), Krušedol (founded in 1509), Kuveždin (founded around 1566), Mala Remeta (founded around the midd 16th century), Novo Hopovo (founded around the mid 16th century), Petkovnica (founded around the mid 16th century), Privina Glava (founded in the end of 12th century), Rakovac (founded in the end of 15th century), Šišatovac (founded in the beginning of the 16th century), Staro Hopovo (founded in the end of 15th century), Velika Remeta (founded around the mid 16th century), Ravanica (founded around the mid 16th century).
During the reconstruction, multiple stories baroque-shaped bell towers were added, and inside of them were built huge and baroque rood screens that were painted by the greatest Serbian painters of that time.
Fruska Gora is a mountain in the north of Serbia, sometimes also called the Jewel of Vojvodina for its beautiful landscapes, nature and countryside.It is bound by the Danube in the north. It is about 80 km lengthwise east to west, about 15 km north to south. The highest peak is Crveni Čot at 539 m. The slopes of Fruška Gora are well suited for grapes - there are many wine-makers producing Traminer, Riesling and other wines in the region. Its fertility and beauty attracted people in the past and equaly at the present days, so it became known as a place of peaceful and rich life of its ihabitants and place for enjoying and resting of many guests as well. A large part of it (area of 25,525 km²) is a national park of Serbia since 1960.There are also as many as sixteen Serb Orthodox monasteries located on Fruška Gora because of the hospitable natural environment. According to historical data, these monastery communities were historically recorded since the first decades of the 16th century, but the legends relate their founding to the period between the 12th and 15th centuries. The monasteries are concentrated in an area 50 kilometers long, and 10 kilometers wide. In the course of centuries of their existence, these monasteries sustained the spiritual and political life of the Serbian nation.
Lake of Ledinci is a small artificial lake on the mountain of Fruška Gora, near Novi Sad, in the Srem region of the Vojvodina province of Serbia. The lake was created during NATO bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999, when pumps in the abandoned quarry of Srebro were damaged and stopped pumping the water out of the quarry. The subterranean waters, so as the waters from two creeks, Lukin Svetac and Srebrni potok began filling the quarry. The lake is now a small touristic resort, and the local community of Ledinci village and the company that runs it are ambitious to expand the tourist services.In late 1990s and early 2000s, exploitation rights on the lake were under a multilateral dispute by the local community, City of Novi Sad, the mining company which owned the quarry and the public company guiding the National park of Fruška gora. Due to frequent incoherent court and municipality decisions, the lake was at threat of disappearing at a moment, because the mining company required to be back in possession, and the lake was deemed unsafe due to possible water breakthrough. Ultimatively, the disputes ended in favor of retaining the lake, which presents one of pearls of the National park, and making it a touristic resort.
The church of St. Nicholas of "New" Hopovo was erected in 1577 and painted from 1608 till 1654. It is perhaps the most beautiful of all Frushka Gora monasteries. The baroque iconostas was carwed by Paul and Anton Resner, the icons of the iconostas were painted by Teodor Kracun in 1776. The monastic residence and the bell-tower which resemble similar buildings in Austria and Hungary were built between 1728 and 1777. The difference between the style of the church and the monastery cannot be overlooked.
Very recently the church was damaged by areal bombing during a military campaign of questionable moral and strategic sense. During our visit in Summer of 2007 we could not find any sign of damage - it was fully restored.
Must see Petrovaradin fortres, monasteries near the town, Fruska Gora mountain, city centre, and much more than this!
Historic sites, interesting places, night life ...