Liberty Square/Trg Slobode, Novi Sad
The Liberty Square is the main square in Novi Sad and the gathering place for cultural and political events. It is dominated by two huge buildings facing each other: The Name of Mary Church and the City Hall - and in the centre of the square is a monument to Svetozar Miletic (1826 - 1901). He was an advocate, journalist, author, politician, mayor of Novi Sad, and the political leader of Serbs in Vojvodina....
The City Hall was built in 1895 and is an exact copy of the city hall in Graz! The Name of Mary Church is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to the feast of Holy Name of Mary. It was built on the site of an old Roman Catholic church, and completed in the end of the 19th century. The Clock Tower is 76 meters high, and it is a beautiful church - especially after sunset when it is lit up.
Liberty square (Serbian Cyrillic: Трг слободе, read: Trg slobode) is the main square in Novi Sad.
One of the most important landmarks in city and its symbols since its founding (from 18th century), has grown and evolved with the city. Changes are evident throughout history, including the changing the name of square. During the Austro-Hungarian Empire occupation was named Francis Joseph's Square (Serbian Cyrillic: Трг Фрање Јосифа, read: Trg Franje Josifa), after the WWI it was Liberation Square (Serbian Cyrillic: Трг ослобођења, read: Trg oslobođenja), and after the WWII got its today name.
Numerous and diverse historical and cultural monuments of Novi Sad found in the area of the old town center. It is a commercial and tourist center of the town which is now part of popular pedestrian zone with a diameter of about 500 meters that continues with Zmaj Jova Street (Serbian Cyrillic: Змај Јовина улица, read: Zmaj Jovina ulica). Frame of the square are beautiful buildings from the late 19th and 20th century. Styles which can be seen in the architecture of the old heart of the city include Classicism, Baroque, Secession and the national style with modern, all of which merge well together, telling in the same time a fascinate story about history of city. In the very center of the square is the monument dedicated to Svetozar Miletić (Serbian Cyrillic: Светозар Милетић). There is also Magistrate (City Hall) on west and the Roman Catholic Name of Mary Church from east side. Also, important buildings there are: the Bank of Vojvodina (Serbian Cyrillic: Војвођанска банка, read: Vojvođanska banka) and Hotel Vojvodina (Serbian Cyrillic: Хотел Војводина). The only modern building there is a shopping and business center Apolo (Serbian Cyrillic: Тржни и пословни центар Аполо, read: Tržni i poslovni centar Apolo).
The square is a popular meeting place and a place of celebrating important events in the history of the city and of numerous events.
Trg slobode is a standard city square that is made spectacular only by the buildings that surround it: this is where you will find the Catholic Church with its 52 metre tall tower, the neo-Renaissance Town Hall, the Hotel Vojvodina and various other late-19th century structures. The square used to have a market – when it was known as Franje Josef Square under the Austro-Hungarians – but it no longer has such facilities. In fact, not much goes on in the square; it is even devoid of café tables.
The Town Hall or Gradevska Kuca might seem like an odd tourist attraction, but it is by far one of the most beautiful and impressive buildings in all of Novi Sad. Completed in neo-Renaissance style, it was only finished in 1895 as the Magistrates’ Hall, although this was gradually changed into the Town Hall for the city. There are four copulas – one at each corner – a lovely arcade, and a tall bell-tower in the centre of the building, complete with a balcony. It used to have a large bell, which was used in times of fires, but it no longer has the bell (it was destroyed during the war). I doubt that you can ask to be shown around the town hall, but nevertheless, you are welcome to take pictures of the exterior of the building, which seems more suitable for somewhere like Vienna or Budapest than Novi Sad.
The Roman Catholic Church, also known as the Name of Mary Church (Crkva imena Marijinog) is a huge Catholic church that dominates one of the ends of Trg slobode in Novi Sad. It stares down the Town Hall and its spire reaches a dizzying height. The original Catholic church that stood on this spot was damaged during the Revolution in 1848, so the city’s Catholics decided to fund the construction of a new place of worship, which was completed between 1892 and 1894. This new Church had a 52 metre tall tower as well as Tyrolean wood fittings and tiles imported from Budapest. The Catholic Church was damaged in a fire in 1904, but it is nonetheless quite beautiful today and preserves a very Central European air to its architecture and decoration. The congregation is a mixture of various nationalities, but the majority of materials in the church are either in Croatian/Serbian or in Hungarian. There are various carvings and paintings of note, and the church provides a nice contrast to the Serbian Orthodox Church at the other end of Zmaj Jovina.
This is the heart (srce) of Novi Sad. Most important buildings of Novi Sad are here, or nearby-the City Hall, the Roman Catholic Cathedral, the Serbian National Theatre, the Assumption Church, the Orthodox Church...
The City Hall (Gradska kuca) was built in neo-renaissance style in 1894, by the project of Molnàr György.
In 1907, the bell with the image of St Florian, the city protector at that time, was placed in the high tower.
You should visit the auditorium on the 1st floor with the paintings of Pavle Ružicka.
The Roman Catholic Church (Rimokatolicka crkva) with its 72m-high tower dominates the city centre.
The altar's dominated by carved wood from Tyrol and the windows with stained glass from Budapest, whereas the roof tiles were made of Zsolnay ceramics.
In the center of Novi Sad there is the main square, Trg Slobode. With an image of european square and more balcanic atmosphere. A big statue of Svetozar Miletic (creation of Ivan Mestrovic), one of the prominent Serbian politicians of the 19th century, domines the square. When Novi Sad's people celebrate a national triumph or victory they go to the Miletic's monument to hang the flags and sing and express their happiness.
In front of the statue is placed the Roman Catholic Cathedral. Was built on the site of a former 18th century, has a tower of 76m hight and 3 naves. Over the years it has been its impressive size. rather than ecclesiastical status, that has caused it to beknown as the "cathedral". The inside is richly carved, with 4 altars, and in the outside the colourful roof has a notorios appearance.
Behind Miletic's statue is the Town Hall, a neo-reinassance building, so similar (to don't say that is a copy) of the Town Hall of Graz (Austria). Was built in 1895.
I liked this square specially at night, when is plenty of people in the terraces of bars.
Built in 1895 according to the plan of the architec Georg Molnar, in neogothic style. It was built on the very same place of the old XIII century church.
The Roman Catholic Parish Church 'The Name of Mary' (Rimokatolicka crkva župa imena Marijina) was built in 1895 in neo-gothic style according to the designs of Molnàr György.