Jovan Jovanović Zmaj (November 24, 1833 - June 3, 1904) was one of the best-known Serbian poets. He was a physician by profession, like his literary predecessor writer Jovan Stejić (1803-1853).
He wrote in many of the genres of poetry, including love, lyric, patriotic, political, youth's, etc. But he is best known for his children's poetry. His nursery rhymes have entered the Serbian national consciousness and people sing them to their children even without knowing who wrote them.
His nickname Zmaj (Змај, meaning "dragon") derives from May Assembly date, 3 May 1848, in Serbian Cyrillic: 3.мај / Змај.
Janika Balázs (December 23, 1925 in Lukino Selo in Zrenjanin municipality – November 12, 1988 in Novi Sad) was a famous tamburitza musician and band leader from Vojvodina, Serbia.
He was born 1925 to a Hungarian-speaking Romani family with strong musical tradition. His father's surname was Rác (or Rácz), which was a Hungarian term for Serbs that was considered derogatory, so he took the mother's surname Balázs. He grew up in Bečej, where he started playing violin in a local kafana with 10 years of age. When he realized that he couldn't become the best violinist, he switched to ("prim" or "bisernica") tamburitza which he played ever since. Later, he played with "Braća kozaci" band in the area of Subotica and Horgoš. From 1948 to 1951, he worked in Radio Titograd in Montenegro, where he perfected his tamburitza play.
From its foundation in 1951 to the end of his working career he worked in Radio Novi Sad and was a member of its Grand Tamburitza Orchestra. He was spending nights playing with his 8-men band in kafanas of Novi Sad, especially on Petrovaradin Fortress, of which he became one of icons. During his career, he held concerts across the world, including 36 performances in Paris Olympia. Allegedly, he had several offers from United States and Soviet Union to move there and work as a tamburitza teacher, but he never wanted to leave Novi Sad, where he died in 1988.
Janika participated in several documentary and feature films. Songs "Osam tamburaša s Petrovaradina" (Eight tambouritza-players from Petrovaradin) and "Primaši" were dedicated to him. During his career, he worked with many renowned musicians, including Zvonko Bogdan and Júlia Biszák.
Svetozar Miletić (1826, Mošorin, Titel – 1901) was an advocate, politician, mayor of Novi Sad, and the political leader of Serbs in Vojvodina.
The statue is a masterpiece made by Ivan Meštrović.
The Roman Catholic Church, also known as the Name of Mary Church is a Catholic church that dominates one of the ends of Trg slobode in Novi Sad. It stares down the Town Hall and its spire reaches a dizzying height. The original Catholic church that stood on this spot was damaged during the Revolution in 1848, so the city’s Catholics decided to fund the construction of a new place of worship, which was completed between 1892 and 1894. This new Church had a 52 metre tall tower as well as Tyrolean wood fittings and tiles imported from Budapest. The Catholic Church was damaged in a fire in 1904, but it is nonetheless quite beautiful today and preserves a very Central European air to its architecture and decoration. The congregation is a mixture of various nationalities, but the majority of materials in the church are either in Croatian/Serbian or in Hungarian.
The Serbian National Theatre (Serbian: Српско народно позориште or Srpsko narodno pozorište), located in Novi Sad, is one of the major theatres of Serbia. It was founded in 1861 during a conference of the Serbian National Theatre Society, composed of members of the Serbian Reading Room (Srpska čitaonica), held in Novi Sad.
The first general manager of the Serbian National Theatre was Jovan Đorđević. The founding fathers were: Svetozar Miletić, Stevan Branovački, Jovan Jovanović Zmaj, Jovan Đorđević, Dimitrije Ružić, Dimitrije Marković Kikinđanin, Nikola Nedeljković, Kosta Hadžić, Mihailo Gavrilović, Mihailo Racković, Mladen Cvijić, Stevan Čekić and Draginja Popović-Ružić.
The current building of the theatre was opened in March 1981.
Walking along the streets and parks, you can sit in one of many cafe's, restaurants, pizzeria's, or just walk along this wide streets and enjoying the sunny days, or sit in the shadow of some old tree if you decide to hide away from the sun.
The roots of the Serbian National Theatre reach back to 1861, when, on the meeting of the Serbian Reading-room, held in Novi Sad on Jun 16 (28), with Svetozar Miletic as a chairman, the decision of founding the Serbian National Theatre was made “in purpose to raise the theatre art in our people, to strengthen and forever support her existence and development, to give a new impulse to the national drama and literature, to establish a school and a nursery to those sons and daughters of our nation, who wish to dedicate themselves to this noble skill, to raise the theatre practice, by the efforts and experience of skilled, educated and delighted men of ours, to such height and perfection, from which the theatre will become the school of moral, the example and form of good taste, the carrier of education and learning, the wake up call of national consciousness, the guardian of national spirit and language, the mirror of splendid and sad past and the messenger of our fortune.” Novi Sad thus became the cradle of the Serbian theatre, and was, with good reason named "The Serbian Athens". The new building of the Serbian National Theatre, contrived by the architect Professor Dr. Wiktor Jackiewitcz is sited in the very Center of the town, the Capital of Vojvodina Province, Serbia and Montenegro . The building was opened on March 28, 1981 (a day after the World Theatre Day). In the 120 th season of its existence, the SNT get its own building for the first time. That date was than established for the Day of the Serbian National Theatre, when the results of previous season are evaluated, and the best individual and collective achievements are awarded.
The roots of the Serbian National Theatre reach back to 1861, when, on the meeting of the Serbian Reading-room, held in Novi Sad on July 16 with Svetozar Miletic as a chairman, the decision of founding the Serbian National Theatre was made.
Tucked away behind the old Greek school is the orthodox cathedral of St George. It is a fairly unassuming building compared to the catholic cathedral in the main square but the interior is very grand and ornate. The cathedral only dates from late 19th/early 20th century. It replaced an older one that was detroyed in the revolution of 1849. Inside the cathedral are 33 icons of St George which is rather pleasing if you come from England as he is our patron saint.
Commemorative exhibition in Vojislava Ilica Street 15, with reconstructed foundations, where the first issue of the newspaper Slobodna Vojvodina (Free Vojvodina), today Novi Sad daily newspaper Dnevnik was printed in 1942.
EXIT is an annual summer music festival in Petrovaradin fortress of Novi Sad, Serbia. It is staged annually since 2000 and usually lasts four days (since 2003). The inaugural installment of EXIT was held over 100 days throughout the summer of 2000 on various stages set up between University of Novi Sad's Faculty of Philosophy building and Danube's left bank. Initially the festival had a pronounced political component, representing, in effect, another form of anti-Milošević protest. Although, due to fear of regime repression, its activism was thinly veiled under the guise of merely getting the youth interested in the political process, the festival's ties with Otpor and other forces pushing for the regime change were clear to all that attended. Held in the picturesque setting of an eighteenth century fortress by the Danube, the festival quickly grew in stature and reputation. From its grass roots political beginnings, over to occasional problems with financing, and ending with wide praise it's lately receiving, EXIT tries to stick to its initial mission of providing relevant entertainment to Serbian youth while also bringing pertinent social topics to the forefront.EXIT is the biggest musical festival in South Eastern Europe , According to the first, unofficial estimates, 150,000 people visited Exit 06 festival. The biggest number of visitors was on the third day of the festival, when there were 45,000 people at the Fortress, at the concert of a famous rock and roll star Billy Idol. This year, unlike any other before, there were many foreigners, mostly from The UK and Germany, and as it seems more youngsters from the region than 'hosts' from Serbia. These impressive figures and all those young people from abroad just prove the quality of Exit as the musical festival. On the other hand, Exit is an economic, touristic, and especially cultural benefit for Novi Sad and Serbia. It was really wonderful.
Štrand (Штранд) is a popular beach on the Danube river in Novi Sad, Serbia. It is located near the Freedom Bridge, in the city quarter known as Liman. Its name derives from the German word Strand, meaning simply beach (In German, an initial s is usually pronounced as sh when it comes before a consonant, as in the Yiddish-English shtick, thus, the Serbian š correctly bears a diacritic reflecting this). The presumable reason for origin of this name is the large number of Germans (primarily Donauschwaben) who lived in Novi Sad at the time the beach was opened.
The 'Strand' is the place where citizens of Novi Sad come not just to swim, sunbathe and spend summer days but also 'to see and to be seen'.
Right next by the Orthodox Cathedral - Church of St.George (Saborna crkva svetog Georgija), there are also Bishop’s Palace, the building of the Eparchy of Backa, Platoneum and the second Serbian grammar school. The Novi Sad Orthodox Cathedral is dedicated to the Holy Great Martyr George. The present temple was erected on the place of an older one, which dated from 1734, and which had been burnt during the shelling of the city in 1848/49. The restoration of the almost destroyed temple lasted 20 years, from 1860 until 1880. Inside the temple there are 33 icons on the iconostasis, historical pictures above both choirs, as well as two large throne icons, painted by painter Paja Jovanovich, which are considered to be his best ecclesiastical works.
Bilt in 1906 according to the plan and project of the architect Lipot Baumhorn, in the style of Hungarian secession. For its extreme acoustics, it is used nowadays as a concert hall. The building is not used for religious rites. The Jewish community of Novi Sad was allowed to build its first synagogue in the early 18th century. This first synagogue building was followed by three others that were erected one after another and served the local community during the 18th and the 19th centuries. With the numerical growth of the Jewish community in the last decades of the 19th century, as a result of the influx to the city of numerous Jews from smaller communities in Vojvodina, then under Austro-Hungarian rule, the building of the fourth synagogue, built in 1851 and renovated in 1859, became too small for the needs of the community. The interior of the synagogue is arranged in a manner common amongst liberal synagogues of the second half of the 19th century. The bimah is located close to the Holy Ark, at the eastern end of the prayer hall; there are rows of benches in the lower floor as well as in the two lateral balconies reserved for the women section. The prayers at the synagogue of Novi Sad were lead by a cantor accompanied by an organ, a mixed choir, and occasionally also soloists.
The Novi Sad Fair is the oldest in Serbia and Montenegro. It was established in 1923. It covers more than 300,000 m2, of which about 56,000 m2 of indoor exhibition area. The Novi Sad Fair organises 30 fairs, exhibitions and sales fairs of consumer goods annually with more than 5,000 exhibitors from the country and abroad and visited by more than a million people. This year, the Novi Sad Fair is celebrating its eightieth anniversary; it organises the 70th International Agricultural Fair and the 40th International Autumn Fair. In the last three years new fair events have been held, such as the fairs of finance, tourism, Media Fair, Car Show, and so on. The business activities of the Fair have included franchising, Trade Mart, the Fair of European Regions.
The International Agricultural Fair is the most renowned event at the Novi Sad Fair, it is the largest and oldest in the country and one of the largest agricultural fairs in Europe. This fair normally hosts 2,000 exhibitors, of which about 600 from 60 different countries; it facilitates about fifteen collective exhibitions; organises hundreds of seminars and other business activities. Master Centre is apart from the exhibition hall, the centre will comprise conference and business premises facilitating various international meetings. It is obvious that the construction of the "Master Centre" will make the Novi Sad Fair an important trade centre in this part of Europe. The membership in the Union of International Fairs gained in 1958, when the International Agricultural Fair was accepted in this international family of fairs, has been strengthened by the appointment of the CEO of the Novi Sad Fair, Prof. Dr Aleksandar Andrejević, to the Managing Board of the Union. Solid relationships with international fairs, domestic and foreign economies, the city of Novi Sad and with all those involved with the activities at the Novi Sad Fair present an important stimulus for the economic growth of the Fair.