The Open Mosque Namazgah (Kerek Xhamia) was actually the first Ottoman building in Prizren. It was constructed in 1455, just after the Turks had conquered the town.
The Namazgah is an outdoor mosque for prayers of large groups of people in the open. The place underwent massive repairs and renovations in recent years.
When we visited the place, the local guard was more than happy to see some tourists around. Even though he didn't speak a word of English he tried to explain us the history of the open mosque and the city of Prizren.
The history of Prizren Fortress (Kalaja) dates back to prehistoric times. It was expanded and strengthened many times through the centuries. The structure was exclusively used as a fortress until 1912.
Due to its location on top of the 500 metres high Cvilen hill it offers panoramic views of Prizren and the surrounding region including the Lumbardhi valley and the Marash district.
The Ottoman style Sinan Pasha Mosque (Xhamia e Sinan Pashes) was completed in 1615. It is said that the stones for the mosque were taken from the nearby Holy Archangels' Monastery, which was out of use at the beginning of the 17th century.
With a ground area of 14 m by 14 m it is one of the largest mosques in Prizren. The minaret has a height of 43,5 m.
The Stone Bridge (Ura e Gurit) was the first bridge in Prizren which was constructed with stones. All previously built bridges were wooden bridges.
The history of the triple-arched Stone Bridge dates back to the 16th century. It was destroyed during river floods in 1979, but afterwards reconstructed again.
The large Serbain Orthodox Episcopal Church of St George (Kisha e Shen Gjergjit) is a three-aisled Basilica with a dome and a small tower. It was built in the late 19th century on the site of an even earlier church.
In May 2001 the church ground was still guarded by local police, but it wasn't a problem for us to get
The Gazi Mehmet Pasha Mosque, which is also known as Bajrakli Mosque (Bajrakli Xhamia) was built in 1561 and is therefore one of the oldest Islamic buildings in Prizren.
The mosque is surrounded by a large garden area. Among other buildings also a hexagonal mausoleum for the founder of the mosque can be found here.
When we visited the place a local gentleman approached us and offered to show us the interior of the mosque. He had Turkish roots, spoke very good English and explained us the main features of the building.
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour (Katedrallja e Zonjes Ndimetare) is Prizren's main Catholic church.
The history of the Italian inspired church dates back to 1870 when it was commissioned by the Archbishop of Skopje.
Inside the church, just above the main door a fresco of the Albanian hero Skenderbeg can be seen.
When we visited the church it was closed, but we got a key from a lady living just next to the church. Later a a local guy came to us and explained the interior of the church to us and told us about the frescoes.
Prizren's Clock Tower (Sahat Kula) was errected in 1870 by Eshref Pasha. During Ottoman times it showed the Islamic people the prayer times and shopkeepers when to open and close their shops.
In 1912 the clock and bell were removed from the tower. Nowadays the Clock Tower and the galleries of the adjacent Turkish bath house the Archeological Museum.
The Serbian Orthodox Church of Our Lady of Ljevis (Crkva Bogorodice Ljeviske) was built in the 12th century on the site of an even earlier church from the 9th century.
During the Ottoman era from the middle of the 18th century until the beginning of the 20th century, the church was used as a mosque; hence many Turkish people still refer to the building as Friday Mosque (Cuma Camii).
The church is seen as one of the best examples for late Byzantine architecture in Europe. Unfortunately, the church was heavily damaged during the unrest in March 2004. In 2006 it was placed on the UNESCO's World Heritage List.
When we visited the church it was still not possible to see the inside as the whole church complex was surrounded by barbed wires and guarded by a security person.
The Emin Pasha Mosque (Xhamia e Emin Pashes) was named after Eduard Schnitzer aka Emin Pasha, who was a German explorer of Africa.
His white marble grave can be found in the mosque's cemetery, where also other old gravestones can be seen.
The mosque was built in arabian-style by the well-known Rrotulli brothers in 1831.
The Maksut Pasha Mosque ((Xhamia Maksut Pasha) is one of the smaller mosques in Prizren.
It was built in oriental style in 1833, whereas the histroy of other structures in the vicinity date even back to the middle of the 17th century.
A mausoleum of the Saadi Order and some old gravestones can be found in the neighbourhood of the mosque.
The Gazi Mehmet Pasha Hamam (Hamsmi i Gazi-Mehmet Pashes) is a typical early-Ottoman Turkish bathhouse. It was probably constructed in the second half of the 16th century.
The building was designed with separate sections for men and women, who also had their own entrances. Nowadays the Hamam is used as a museum for temporary art exhibitions as well as a music venue.
The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral Church of Christ the Saviour consists of two parts. The history of the older one dates back to the time of King Stefan Dusan in the 14th century. The much larger part with the belfry was built in 1836, but remained unfinished.
The Church was heavily damaged during the unrest in March 2004 and must have been guarded and totally fenced off until just recently.
When we visited Prizren in May 2011 it was not a problem to enter the church grounds, although the interior was not accessible.
The small Serbian Orthodox Church of Saint Nicolas (Kisha e Shen Nikolles) is also known as Tutic's Church. Its history dates back to the 14th century when it was built in late Byzantine style as a feudal family church.
During the incidents in March 2004 the church was massively destroyed, but reconstructed later again.
When we visited Prizren in May 2011 most construction fences around the church were removed, but still the interior wasn't accessible.
The history of the Arasta Minaret dates back to the end of the 16th century when a large mosque complex, named Arasta was built. In the 1960's most of the mosque except the minaret was destroyed by socialist town planners.
The minaret was renovated in 2007 and it is now even planned to remove some of the small kiosks in the vicinity of the place to give the minaret more importance as a sight.