The gallery was opened in 1966 and houses 500 selected works of Milan Konjovic, donated by the author himself to his hometown, and more than 500 donations. The collection includes oil paintings, pastels, water colours, drawings and tapestries.
The building itself used to be a pharmacy owned by Emil Gale, thus its other name 'Gale's building'.
Tuesday—Friday: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Exceptions are made for announced group visits on weekends and Mondays.
The Town Museum (Gradski muzej) is one of the most prominent ones in the country.
It was founded in 1945, but the building where it’s placed was built in 1870. Today, it’s a regional museum with departments of archaeology, numismatics, ethnology, history and regional art history as well as the collection of contemporary Serbian art.
Mon – Fri: 9 – 18
Sat: 9 - 17
Sun (called in groups = not fewer than 10 visitors): 9 - 17
Entry fee !
This monumental building with 200 different rooms, chambers and halls, today the Municipal Assembly, was built in 1805-08, but completely renovated in the 1880s. Two side towers and the back side of the building were built then.
Take a look at the largest (4 x 7 m) oil picture in the country, ‘The Battle of Senta’ by Ferenz Eisenhut, and the Hall of Coats-of-arms.
Working hours: Mon – Fri: 8 - 15 Entry fee !
The building is surrounded by a park, arranged in the 19th century.
The church of St George (Crkva svetog velikomucenika Georgija) was built in 1759-61 thanks to the donations of orthodox Serbs of Sombor. The tower was erected in 1791. Way back in Turkish times, there was a smaller church with the same name on this site.
The original iconostasis was done by the best iconostasis painter of that time, Teodor Kracun. In 1866 it was removed and replaced by Pavle Simic’s one.
The church was renewed in 1936.
Inside the church, there are a lot of stained-glass windows, precious metal objects and flags of different guildhouses.
It’s an interesting thing that in 1788, in the churchyard, Avram Mrazovic started the 1st educational course for teachers called Norma.
Saint George's Square (Trg svetog Djordja) is located on the east side of the Town Hall.
In 1940 the bronze horseman statue dedicated to King Aleksandar, the work of Antun Augustincic, was placed here. The monument was removed after the Hungarians had arrived in 1941.
Holy Trinity Square (Trg Svetog Trojstva) was named after the stone monument of the Holy Trinity which was placed in the central part of the square in 1774. The monument was erected as a symbol of gratitude for the end of one of the numerous plague epidemics of that time. The monument consisted of an elegant, graceful and tall column and a statue of the Holy Trinity on top of it. During its removal in 1947 the monument was damaged.
Today this square is known as "Æelavi trg" (Bald Square) among the people of Sombor.
This is one of the most beautiful edifices in Sombor. It was built in 1906 by Dr Stevan Kronic, a landowner and lawyer from Sombor.
In 1938 the Palace was sold and today seats the Trade Court of Sombor.
In 1856 a marble cross was erected in front of the building, but after the war it was moved into the courtyard of the Big Orthodox Church.
There's a building by the Church of Holy Trinity that used to be a Franciscan cloister. The building of the cloister began in 1743 and was completed in 1749. This is where Sombor was proclaimed a Free and Royal City by the Charter of Maria Theresia on 24th April 1749. The Franciscans left both the Cloister and Sombor obeying an order issued by Austrian Emperor Joseph II in 1786. That same year, Sombor became the permanent seat of Baèka-Bodrog District, so the parochial office and administration was moved to the Cloister building and had stayed in it until 1809, when a new Municipal Assembly Building – Županija was built.
On the south facade of the Parochial Palace (Plebanija) there’s a sundial. It was placed in 1852 on the initiative of Jovan Cokor, the headmaster of the Teacher-Training School. He used to punish his students really hard, resulting in the students’ mutiny and his leaving Sombor.
There’s also a sarcastic inscription as part of the sundial, ‘one of these is your last’, written in Serbian and Hungarian.
The Serbian Reading Room (Srpska citaonica) was established in 1845 on the initiative of 72 most educated and respected Serbs. It is placed in the building which was built in 1882.
Our famous poet, Laza Kostic, used to be its president.
Today, the Serbian Reading Room is the place where a large number of cultural events are held.
The new Roman Catholic Church was built in 1860 and consecrated in 1904.
The Convent was also completed then, and in 1905 was given to the order of Carmelites. That’s why the church is also known as the Carmelite Church.
The organ made in 1926 was among the biggest in former Yugoslavia.
The Church of St John the Forerunner (Crkva svetog Jovana Pretece) was built on the site of an older Orthodox Church, turned into a mosque when the Turks came. The old church was torn down in 1786, and the new one was built 4 years later.
The richly decorated iconostasis was painted by Pavle Djurkoviæ in 1809.
The Holy Trinity Church (Crkva Presvetog Trojstva) was built in 1752-63 on the site of an older church.
The church organ was made in 1771.
Some notable Catholics from Sombor were buried in the crypt in 1782.
The Church was renovated in 1939.
This a true symbol of Sombor, built in 1842 on the site of Count Jovan Brankovic’s castle from 1718.
The building once housed the administration, archives and library. The meetings of the magistrate were held in the Grand Hall.
This is where in 1918 a takeover of the town took place between the former Austrian-Hungarian authorities and Serbian Royal authorities.
At the entrace of Zupanija, on the left side is unique peace "Sombor in the eyes of a bird" - made in1993/94. Work by arhitecture B. Jovin, done in combinated perspective with dimensions 2,70*1,60 meters.This work - in the view of subject, tehnics of a production and quality of the work - is found to be as the only one in the world.
At the right side of entrance is an old horse coach.
Around Zupanija is park arranged mostly with trees of: conifers of yew (Taxis) - in front of the building, and large number of Platanus and Celtis australis inside the Park.
This is how it looks like in spring and summer.