The gallery was opened in 1966 and houses 500 selected works of Milan Konjovic, donated by the author himself to his hometown, and more than 500 donations. The collection includes oil paintings, pastels, water colours, drawings and tapestries.The building itself used to be a pharmacy owned by Emil Gale, thus its other name 'Gale's building'....more
The Town Museum (Gradski muzej) is one of the most prominent ones in the country.It was founded in 1945, but the building where it’s placed was built in 1870. Today, it’s a regional museum with departments of archaeology, numismatics, ethnology, history and regional art history as well as the collection of contemporary Serbian art.Working hours:Mon...more
This monumental building with 200 different rooms, chambers and halls, today the Municipal Assembly, was built in 1805-08, but completely renovated in the 1880s. Two side towers and the back side of the building were built then. Take a look at the largest (4 x 7 m) oil picture in the country, ‘The Battle of Senta’ by Ferenz Eisenhut, and the Hall...more
The church of St George (Crkva svetog velikomucenika Georgija) was built in 1759-61 thanks to the donations of orthodox Serbs of Sombor. The tower was erected in 1791. Way back in Turkish times, there was a smaller church with the same name on this site.The original iconostasis was done by the best iconostasis painter of that time, Teodor Kracun....more
Holy Trinity Square (Trg Svetog Trojstva) was named after the stone monument of the Holy Trinity which was placed in the central part of the square in 1774. The monument was erected as a symbol of gratitude for the end of one of the numerous plague epidemics of that time. The monument consisted of an elegant, graceful and tall column and a statue...more
This is one of the most beautiful edifices in Sombor. It was built in 1906 by Dr Stevan Kronic, a landowner and lawyer from Sombor. In 1938 the Palace was sold and today seats the Trade Court of Sombor.In 1856 a marble cross was erected in front of the building, but after the war it was moved into the courtyard of the Big Orthodox Church.more
There's a building by the Church of Holy Trinity that used to be a Franciscan cloister. The building of the cloister began in 1743 and was completed in 1749. This is where Sombor was proclaimed a Free and Royal City by the Charter of Maria Theresia on 24th April 1749. The Franciscans left both the Cloister and Sombor obeying an order issued by...more
The Serbian Reading Room (Srpska citaonica) was established in 1845 on the initiative of 72 most educated and respected Serbs. It is placed in the building which was built in 1882. Our famous poet, Laza Kostic, used to be its president.Today, the Serbian Reading Room is the place where a large number of cultural events are held.more
The new Roman Catholic Church was built in 1860 and consecrated in 1904. The Convent was also completed then, and in 1905 was given to the order of Carmelites. That’s why the church is also known as the Carmelite Church.The organ made in 1926 was among the biggest in former Yugoslavia.more
The Church of St John the Forerunner (Crkva svetog Jovana Pretece) was built on the site of an older Orthodox Church, turned into a mosque when the Turks came. The old church was torn down in 1786, and the new one was built 4 years later.The richly decorated iconostasis was painted by Pavle Djurkoviæ in 1809.more
This a true symbol of Sombor, built in 1842 on the site of Count Jovan Brankovic’s castle from 1718. The building once housed the administration, archives and library. The meetings of the magistrate were held in the Grand Hall. This is where in 1918 a takeover of the town took place between the former Austrian-Hungarian authorities and Serbian...more
At the entrace of Zupanija, on the left side is unique peace "Sombor in the eyes of a bird" - made in1993/94. Work by arhitecture B. Jovin, done in combinated perspective with dimensions 2,70*1,60 meters.This work - in the view of subject, tehnics of a production and quality of the work - is found to be as the only one in the world.At the right...more
In building where today is gallery "Milan Konjovic" (1898 - 1993), was the first pharmacist in Sombor called "At the Golden Lion", built in 1838.Since 1966 the building is a gallery of paintings, the legacy of Milan Konjovic to his hometown. Today there are more then 1000 works of this great Sombor paintor.more
The original appearance of Church is preserved by present day (it was built in classical baroque style with 56 m high church tower in 1743).In this church Sombor was proclaimed as a “free and royal city’ in 1749.Ever since a new Roman Catholic Church of St. Stephen the King was built, people of Sombor have been calling this church as the “Old...more
Zlatna kruna is the most popular restaurant in Sombor area, located in Apatin, about 20 minutes ride from Sombor. Here one can enjoy great "fish paprikas" the most famous meal in Vojvodina but also other specialties of fish, both sea and river one. Service is very good, the ambience and view on the Danube improve the overall experience. They also have a great choice of all kinds of wines.
Il Castello is Sombor's most popular nightlife spot. It is a cafe and discotheque owned by the famous NBA basketball player, Zeljko Rebraca.
Dress Code: Casual, as you wish
Onother photo of recognizable and praised simbol of Sombor - that was removed from the streets into songs and memories, but that is coming back slowly.Still there are few more that can show you around the town (they can be called and the ride can be arrenged), or can be rented for weddings or other celebrations.more
In Sombor EVERYBODY rides a bicycle - so don't be suprised if you see just a few year old child on a bycicle, as well as old, old grandmother. But unfortunately there are no places that you can rent a bike (at least I don't know of any) - but don't worry you can see everything by foot-becouse town is not big.But the real thing is the horse coach....more
This is not a traditional local custom tip, but anyway....Mixed Youth Choir of the Choral Society of Sombor was founded in 1985 as part of the Choral Society of Sombor. Under the direction of its founder, artistic director and conductor Silvestar Hajnal (he died in 2002) manage to attain great reputation in the country and abroad in short period of...more
Every summer on Holy Trinity Square is organized a competition in making a "Fish potage" (Riblji paprikas) with appropriate music program. So the whole square gets cowered with tables, chares, fish potages and lots of people - all that in great atmosphere.So, if you are willing to try it, but don't have a recipe - here is one:"Chop finely 250 g of...more
The population of the municipality of Sombor is made up of more than 20 national groups constituting a true wealth of folklore (customs, national costumes, valuable hand-made items). In some villages (Stapar, Backi Monostor, Backi Breg) kilims (carpets) are still being woven, and national costumes or other objects for everyday use made: towels,...more
At about 20 km away from Sombor is regional park “Gornje Podunavlje” – area of extreme importance because of it’s unique natural values and living world. It was established in 1982 at the area of 9996 ha which is next to the left bank of river Danube -it is one of the last big oases of swampy wood complexes (and in whole area there are different...more
Favorite thing: Milan Konjovic (1898-1993), a painter with the opus of about 6000 works of art, is one of the top Serbian and Yugoslav contemporary artists, who affirmed his unique artwork, being a passionate colorist of expressive temperament, through exhibitions in a number of European cities, too.