Sremski Karlovci Things to Do

  • St. Nicholas Church
    St. Nicholas Church
    by ValbyDK
  • Zivanovic Winery
    Zivanovic Winery
    by ValbyDK
  • Zivanovic Winery, the wine tasting
    Zivanovic Winery, the wine tasting
    by ValbyDK

Most Recent Things to Do in Sremski Karlovci

  • ValbyDK's Profile Photo

    Zivanovic Winery

    by ValbyDK Written Jul 4, 2013
    Zivanovic Winery
    2 more images

    The Zivanovic Winery is located just outside Sremski Karlovci. It is one of the oldest wineries in the area, established about 300 years ago, and is today owned by the seventh generation of the Zivanovic family.

    The visit starts with a guided tour of the winery; see the wine cellars and learn about the process of creating the local wines. Of course you can also taste (and buy) the wines... The tour of the winery is followed by a wine tasting, and besides several different great wines there are also slivovitz/brandies - and honey...

    The Zivanovic family is also known for their good honey, and the winery has a small Museum of Beekeeping. Here you can see some old beehives and other old items used for beekeeping. Not the most interesting museum I have ever visited...

    Related to:
    • Wine Tasting

    Was this review helpful?

  • ValbyDK's Profile Photo

    St. Nicholas Church

    by ValbyDK Written Jul 4, 2013
    St. Nicholas Church
    1 more image

    The St. Nicolas Church is located at the Branka Radicevica Square in the centre of Sremski Karlovci. It was built in 1762 on the site of a smaller church, which also was dedicated to Saint Nicholas. The church got its present appearance when it was renovated in 1910.

    The Baroque church has two large bell towers, and inside are some beautiful paintings and icons, an interesting altarpiece, and the remains of St. Arsenije Sremac, who was the second archbishop of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Gymnasium

    by prleprle Updated Feb 16, 2010
    Gymnasium, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    1 more image

    During 18th century literacy among Serbs was not so widely spread, except among priests, monks and rich. This condition was noticed by metropolitans of that time and they send plenty of pleadings to Austrian court with purpose of allowing schools in Sremski Karlovci. Austrian monarchs were not benevolent on this aspirations. They believed that schools wouldn’t be good for the military spirit of Serbs. In 1728 mitropolitan Mojsije Petrovic opened a school with a famous Russian Maksim Suvorov as a teacher.
    When Leopold II came on he Habsburg throne official Austrian royal politics towards Serbs in the region partly changed. Mitropolitan Stefan Stratimirovic knew how to make use of it and he managed to get permission for founding of a secondary school (Gymnasium) in Sremski Karlovci. Teaching in Gymnasium started at 1st of December, 1792 in former Latin school building. The Gymnasium contained two boarding schools - “Blagodjejanije” was meant for penniless pupils and “Konvikt” was for wealthy pupils.
    At the end of 19th century pastor of Sremska Mitrovaca county raised 325 000 crowns in gold for new school building on the wish of his brother, patriarch German Andjelic. Foundations were consecrated in 1890 by patriarch Georgije Brankovic. The building was designed by the Budapest architect Gyula Partos and by his idea the facade was colored in red and yellow as the admonition to the Serbian medieval ecclesiastical architecture.
    The library in gymnasium in Sremski Karlovci is the oldest school library in Serbia. It was founded the same year as secondary school and today it owns approximately 18.000 books.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Study Abroad
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Magistrat

    by prleprle Updated Feb 16, 2010
    Magistrat, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    1 more image

    City Hall or Magistrat was built in the period between 1808 and 1811 in the neoclassicism style. At the beginning it was meant to be of use to garrison in Petrovaradin fortress. Later it was consigned to military executive in Sremski Karlovci. Above the balcony is a coat of arms of Sremski Karlovci.
    In rooms of City Hall was town administration - town council and police. The most important event linked to this institution is declaration of Serbian Vojvodina from a balcony that happened in May 1848.
    In 2009 Parliament of Republic of Serbia made decision to move Constitutional Court of Serbia into this building.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Four Lions

    by prleprle Updated Feb 16, 2010
    Four lions, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    1 more image

    The fountain named ”Four Lions” was made in 1799 in the honor of completion of the first water pipe system. Water from Cerat hill’s spring was brought to town by clay pipeline under the suggestion of military engineer Vanger. At the beginning it was located closer to City Hall, later it was moved from its previous location to release a road to Strazilovo.
    There is an interesting story linked to this fountain, narrated mostly by elderly in Karlovci and it says that any one who drinks water from this fountain will come back to Karlovci one day and get married here.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Roman-Catholic Church

    by prleprle Updated Feb 16, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Roman Catholic Church, S.Karlovci, Serbia

    On the Branko Radicevic square is a Roman Catholic church, whose parish was mentioned in 1735 for the first time. It was dedicated to Holy Trinity and was built on a place where a Benedictine church, destroyed by Turks in withdrawal, once stayed.

    The church was restored and expanded on few occasions Church was build in simple provincial baroque and classicism styles and particularly interesting are marvelous baroque carved doors. Inside church there are several fine paintings from different periods. Next to the church are parish building with office build in 19th century.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Lower Church

    by prleprle Updated Feb 16, 2010
    Lower Church, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    4 more images

    The Lower Church is dedicated to apostles St. Peter and St. Paul. The church was mentioned for the first time in one written record dating from 1599. Shrine was restored on old shrine’s foundations in 1719. On 13th of October 1784, in the front of alter of the Lower Church, was ordained a priest, Petar Petrovic Njegos, later known as St. Peter of Cetinje, archbishiop, ruler of Montenegro, poet and philosopher.
    Iconostasis of Lower Church was made in year 1829 by painter Dimitrije Vratoglic. In the churchyard had been planted a plane-tree, not long after the building was finished. Today, that tree is under the protection and represents a magnificent monument of nature in Sremski Karlovci.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Upper Church

    by prleprle Updated Feb 16, 2010
    Upper Church, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    3 more images

    The Upper Church is dedicated to Entry into the Temple of the Most Holy Mother of God. It was built in 1746 on the foundations of an older church from 16th century. The oldest written record about that orthodox church is from 1559, from the time when it was a remote part under custody of Hilandar monastery.
    Restored iconostasis is from baroque period and was made in 18th century by famous painter from Sremski Karlovci named Dimitrije Bacevic. In the churchyard are graves of many priests and notable persons from Sremski Karlovci, including Serbian patriarchs Georgije Brankovic and Lukijan Bogdanovic.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Saborna crkva- the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral

    by prleprle Updated Jan 23, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Orthodox Cathedral, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    2 more images

    The cathedral is on the same spot where a smaller church, dedicated to the same saint was in the 16th century. Mitropolitan Pavle Nenadoviæ decided in 1758 to pull down the old church and to erect a new cathedral on the same spot. With the contributions of mitropolitan, folk and monasteries it was possible to finish the building and in four years it was completed by the plan designed in Vienna.

    The cathedral was built in baroque style. On the front facade two big belfries are emphasized and one is in between. Stained glass windows are a work of German craftsmen. Above choral apse is a big stained glass window with motif of St. Nicholas.

    In altar place is big iconostasis, the work of famous serbian baroque artists Teodor Kraèunand Jakov Orfelin. In the corners of dome Kraèun painted images of Evangelists and icons on the upper part of iconostasis which were coated with 24-carat gold. Jakov Orfelin finished work on the iconostasis. On the lower part of iconostasis, on the right side, is an icon of Madonna with Christ, made in 14th century by unknown Russian artists. In altar place is sacred Ark of the Covenant with piece of relic of St. Arsenius of Srem, pupil of St. Sava and his legatee on archbishops throne. Between altar place and nave are two thrones - on the right side for the patriarch, and on the left side for king or a crown-prince.

    During the lifetime of patriarch Georgije Brankoviæ a famous Serbian artist Paja Jovanoviæ painted few pictures with motives from the Old and the New Testament on the order of the patriarch himself. He also painted four compositions with events from medieval Serbian history presented on.

    Frontispiece of the cathedral was changed according to a project from Vladimir Nikoliæ during the time of patriarch Lukijan Bogdanoviæ (1909/1910).

    In the crypt of The Orthodox Cathedral almost all metropolitans from Sremski Karlovci are buried.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Patrijarsijski dvor-the Patriarchy Court

    by prleprle Updated Jan 23, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Patrijarsijski dvor, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    2 more images

    The Patriarchy Court was built on the spot where The New Court, destroyed in a fire in 1788, once was. It was built on the initiative by patriarch Georgije Brankoviæ and designed during 1892 and 1894 by the famous architect Vladimir Nikoliæ.
    The Patriarchy Court id designed in combination of two styles - baroque (ground floor) and pseudo-renaissance (upper floor). Floor plan is in "E" shape and the middle limb forms a small chapel dedicated to St. Dimitri. The Court Chapel represents one of the best works in the field of church painting, done by well known artist Uroš Prediæ in 1898.

    The Patriarchy Court once owned exuberant Mitropolitan library, gallery and treasury but was robbed during the WWII and huge amount of its treasure ended in Zagreb. Luckily when the war ended segment of that cultural treasure was saved and is nowadays exhibited The Museum of The Serbian Orthodox Church.

    Recently the treasury-room of the museum was opened. In it icons, church books and objects used in religious service in orthodox churches are exhibited.

    Nowadays The Patriarchy Court is a seat of bishop of Srem Mitropoly and has a status of summer residence for Serbian patriarch. One part of offical title of Serbian patriarchs is also "mitropolian of Belgrade and Karlovci".

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Bogoslovija-The Orthodox Seminary

    by prleprle Updated Jan 23, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Bogoslovija, S.Karlovci, Serbia

    On the north side of Branko Radicevic square is building of secondary theological school. Here are some historical facts about this important institution...

    The Small Clerical School was precursor of The Orthodox Seminary. It worked within school opened in 1749, named “Pokrovobogorodocina” which was under the custody of mitropolitan Pavle Nenadoviæ. Council in Timisoara in 1790 decided that it should be allowed to found The General Seminary in Sremski Karlovci where young generations of orthodox priests would be educated. Instead of seminary a small clerical school was founded on 1st of February, 1794 by mitropolitan Stevan Stratimiroviæ. At the beginning school was not organized as a seminary and the pupils had to provide a room and food by themselves. In 1797 mitropolitan opened “Blagodjejanije”, a place where poor pupils from The Seminary and The Gymnasium lived and feed for free.

    The Royal Edict in 1868 reorganized schools in Sremski Karlovci. That meant gradual closing of The Seminary, finally in 1872 it stopped working. In 1875 Seminary started with work again accepting pupils who graduated in secondary school - gymnasium. Education lasted four years and was performed in Serbian language. Exception were lessons of Theological Dogma lectured in Church-Slavic language. In fact.. that was first Theological faculty!!!

    Nowadays school has around 180 pupils from Serbia and abroad and their lessons take place in The Palace of Common Funds, designed in 1901 by the architect Vladimir Nikoliæ.
    Building itself is really fine palace-alike monument with interesting sphyngs on the main entrance and great central hall.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Seminar-The Orthodox Seminary Broading School

    by prleprle Updated Jan 22, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Seminar, S.Karlovci, Serbia
    1 more image

    Next to Stefaneum palace is Seminar-the Orthodox seminary broading school. Here are some historical facts...
    The patriarch Georgije Brankoviæ understood the importance of boarding school for the future of The Orthodox Seminary and its students. Therefore he decided to build a boarding school and in that purpose contributed 200 000 crowns. On 6th of May, 1900 when a fest “Djurdjevdan” (day dedicated to St. George) was celebrated, the corner-stone was laid. The boarding school was partly finished in the following year but it took until September of 1904 when the first cadets moved in. It were the Foundation of Sava Tekelija and School-Parochial (putative) Foundation that provided all the necessary money for functioning of the boarding school. It was under jurisdiction of The Council of Archbishops.

    The boarding school building was designed by the architect Vladimir Nikoliæ. He used the mixture of pseudo Byzantine and Islamic elements with elements of neoclassical style and really made it well. Within the building are dormitories, reading-room and TV room for the students of the seminary.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • prleprle's Profile Photo

    Stefaneum

    by prleprle Updated Jan 22, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Stefaneum, S. Karlovci, Serbia
    1 more image

    The Stefaneum palace was accomplished in 1903. It was meant to be the source for monastery cadets but it was never used for that purpose. “Blagodjejanije”, earlier founded by mitropolitan Stevan (or Stefan) Stratimiroviæ from which the boarding school got the name, moved in. Regular school life within started in 1908/09 and 40 cadets had free accommodation, food and service.
    The WWII had as much influence on the destiny of Stefaneum as on other historical monuments and memorial buildings. Nowadays The Institute of Serbian People (Institut srpskog naroda) of the Serbian world community, founded by The Holy Serbian Community (with its central in Geneva) is sited in the building.
    In front of this palace, as you could see on second photo, is very interesting monument (or maybe it's just an decorative sculpture?) but I couldn't find any information about that. Stefaneum is an simple but elegant palace and there are often temporary cultural exhibitions.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • andrea.d's Profile Photo

    City Hall

    by andrea.d Written Feb 4, 2006

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    City Hall was built in the period between 1808 and 1811 in the neoclassicism style. At the beginning it was meant to be of use to garrison in Petrovaradin fortress. Later it was consigned to military executive in Sremski Karlovci. Above the balcony is a coat of arms of Sremski Karlovci.

    In rooms of City Hall was town administration - town council and police. The most important event linked to this institution is declaration of Serbian Vojvodina from a balcony that happened in May 1848.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • andrea.d's Profile Photo

    Roman Catholic "Holy Trinity Church"

    by andrea.d Written Feb 4, 2006

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    On The Branko Radicevic square is a roman catholic church, whose parish was mentioned in 1735 for the first time. It was dedicated to Holy Trinity and was built on a place where a Benedictine church, destroyed by Turks in defeasance, once stayed.

    The church was restored and expanded on few occasions - in 1768, 1863, 1924, 1956 and in 1972. Particularly emphatic are marvelous baroque carved doors.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Sremski Karlovci

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

108 travelers online now

Comments

Sremski Karlovci Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Sremski Karlovci things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sremski Karlovci sightseeing.

View all Sremski Karlovci hotels