Did you mean?Try your search again
The synagogue in Subotica, stands sadly derelict, a silent witness to a century of turbulent - and tragic - history.
Updated Jan 21, 2008
The town museum of Subotica is located in the centre of the town housed in the Town Hall that was proclaimed cultural monument in 1967. the edifice was built and decorated from 1908 to 1912. The designers were Marcell Komor and Dezso Jakab, architects and Eden Lehners (1845-1914) disciples and followers, who was the originator of the Hungarian Art Nouveau style. Besides the two architects, other artists, craftsmen and contractors from Budapest and Subotica took part in the construction of the Town Hall, e.g. the Zsolnai works from Pecs, Sandor Nadj, an artist from Gedeleu, Miksa Rot stained-glass window master from Budapest, etc.
The Town Hall is the largest building in Subotica: 75 m tall, 105,08 m long and 55,56 m wide with the basic area of 5.838 m2 and 16.000 m2 of useful area. As for its style, it represents one of the most beautiful examples of the Art Nouveau, Hungarian subtype. Although it is based on the baroque architecture, in surface conception and functional groups of the building, as well as the use of ornaments and color varieties, it is an entirely Art Nouveau building. All that is characteristic of the Gesamstwerk are there, various crafts and artistically shaped materials like wrought iron, carved wood, ceramics, decorative stained glass are applied. In the fancy lines of the surfaces and forms, abundant stylized folklore patterns and a few dominant colors, namely white, green, red and blue are used. In conformance with the purpose it serves, there are four entrances to the building and four minor turrets to emphasize the corners. The roof is covered with Zsolnai ceramic roofing-tiles. The 76 m tall clock tower with spire dominates above the main and formal entrance. The elaborate and richly decorated portal leads to the most beautiful part of the edifice.
Updated Mar 17, 2006
Today's Cathedral in Subotica was built in late baroque style from 1773 to 1779. The original, several times changed, plan was made by Franz Kaufmann from Budapest. Dimensions of Cathedral are: length - 61 meters, width - 26 meters, height of vessel - 18 meters, and height of church-tower 64 meters. Cathedral is proud with it's valuable altar pictures. All of those are the work of painter from Budapest, Josef Schoefft, except the picture of the Holy Family which was painted by painter from Munich - Kasper Schleibner and the Holy Cross which is a deed of Emmanuel Walch of Innsbruck. They have painted also the Cathedral arches. The wall decorations are work of Master Johannes Clausen from Zagreb. On 200th anniversary of the Cathedral (1972-73) the entire interior was renewed. Wall and altar pictures were renewed by academic painter Nikola Jandrijevic from Belgrade and Dusan Nonin from Novi Sad, while the wall decorations were renewed by master Lajos Kiss from Sombor. That was the chance to import the heating, and to build new, marble floor. As far back as 1797 the Cathedral got in it's facade, between the church-towers a magnificent stone statue of Sinless, which is the work of Friedrich Held. The pulpit dates from 1808. Today's church-organ was built by Angster - firm from Pecs in 1897. The ones who inherited them had renewed the organ a 100 years later. At the end of 19th century with efforts from parish priest Matija Mamuzic the Cathedral got today's coloured windows, two crossed vessels with altars, 18 statues in natural size and attached sacristies. In his time the Church lived through the greatest renewal since the time it was built. For exterior of the Cathedral most credit deserves parish priest Vojnich Dezso, who in 1912 made such an external renewal that it did not need fixing until today. The second great renewal the Cathedral experienced in the time of Bishop Matija Zvekanovic and parish priest Franjo Vujkovic (1972-1973).
Updated Mar 17, 2006
Sathurday night is always nice to go out.You can meet lots of happy people who are drinking and chating in some of the bars, on the pedestrian street!
Written Mar 13, 2006
Downtown location.Inexpensive drinks, lots of people,outdoor and indoor possibilities.But at summer time I suggest you the outdoor one:)
Live Dj, with excellent music.Weekends open until late, weekdays sometimes closes at 2am:(((
Friendly place,very easy to make new contacts or refresh the old ones :)
Have a good time:)
Updated Mar 9, 2006
The most important buss lines are buss numb.1 riding from Alexandrovo to Zorka pasing throu the centar and the buss line numb 6 going from Palic to Mali Bajmok (litle Bajmok) The busses runs every 15-20 minuts from 5am to 10pm!
Updated Apr 4, 2011
Unfortunately because of the ex war in the former Yugoslavia there where recorded some problems ,and some street fights.
In generaly its realy very peaceful.But at night its a good advise to try to avoid the trouble and try to avoid political conversations in the bars!!!!
Updated Mar 13, 2006
Although its positioned on the maps in the centre of town to be at Korzo Street 15. it is actually in the building of The Town Hall
Unique Suggestions: Look at the map I posted
Opened weekdays from 8 till 20, on Saturday from 9-12
Written Jul 14, 2009
Zoo Palic was founded in 1949. Covering an area of 20 hectars it represents finely balanced combination of zoological, botanical and horticultural contents. Besides 70 animal species there are also many conifers and decidous trees as well as thousands of colourful roses and great variety of seasonal flowers. This is a place for leisure, relaxation and recreation.
Written Mar 24, 2006
Phone: 024 753 075
Favorite thing: In 1743 Subotica was proclaimed a market-town by the archduchess of Austria, Maria Theresa. Having been given this status the town gained independence, among others in educational administration. The municipal board applied to the Franciscan provincial for a teacher who could teach the young the foundation of the Latin language and syntax. The Franciscans appointed Toma Porubski, who started his work in 1747 and laid foundation to organized education.
The first Act of education was brought in Vienna in 1777. By this act all the Latin schools were divided into Grammar schools and Gymnasia. All the towns in which a Gymnasium would be founded were listed in the Act although some room was left for the towns where there had already been grammar classes to open a Gymnasium provided that there were conditions for it. Since Subotica was not on the list, the already existing Grammar school was abolished in 1778 only to be renewed in 1782 upon the request of the Municipal board. By the decree of the Imperial Council from Spetember 1 st , 1787 Latin was replaced by the German language in schools. Since this caused disapproval, the Emperor Joseph II quashed an order three years later and brought back the Latin language into schools.
Eventualy the Gymnasium was founded in Subotica in 1795. It consisted of three liberal-arts classes. It can be proven by the first Gymnasium seal reading "Sigil. Gimnasii M. Theresiopolitani 1795".
From 1803 there were six classes in the Gymnasium, four grammar classes, and two liberal arts ones. Under the 1845 Act of education Latin was replaced by the Hungarian language.
Until 1860 all the teachers in grammar school ,and later in the Gymnasium were the Franciscans; From 1860, apart from clergymen, university trained seculars were also engaged in teaching.
Updated Mar 14, 2006