Greek Catholic church
The Greek Catholic church Biserica Buna Vestire , is at the end of Piata Triandafilor, opposite to the Orthodox cathedral. It was built between 1926-1936, following the model of St. Peter’s Basilica of Rome.
Ascension of the Lord Orthodox Cathedral
The Ascension of the Lord Cathedral stands at the end of Piata Triandafilor. It was built between 1925 and 1934 on the initiative of an Archpriest. Actually, it is not a cathedral but a church, as is not the seat of a bishop, but is commonly referred to as a cathedral.
The cathedral was built in the form of a Greek cross. The iconostasis was built in 1934. The bells were cast at Timisoara. Murals inside were only completed in 1986.
Palace of Culture
The Palace of Culture was built between 1911-1913 by Komor Marcell and Jakab Dezsõ, the same architects who built the City Hall (today, the Prefecture). Both buildings formed an ensemble. . The Mirrors Hall is the most visited part of the Palace of Culture.
The Tourist Office is in the ground floor.
Prefecture Palace (Palatul Prefecturii)
The Mures County Council is in the former City Hall building, which was constructed in 1907-1908 by the architects Komor Marcel and Jakob Dezsö. They were the founders of a specific Art Nouveau trend in Transylvania.
The high spire on the right was built as a watchtower of the town. The building is covered with colorful Majolica. The impressive entrance hall is decorated with huge stained glass windows.
A replica of the Capitaline Wolf is in front of the building. As we went a few days after the National Day of Rumania, floral tributes decorated the place.
The City Fortress was built in the late 15th century around the Franciscan monastery and church. The structure of the towers that still remain and the fact that they are square-shaped are indicative of a medieval type military architecture. From the original fortress, only some fragments of the walls, the tower of the Southern wing and ruins of the South-Western towers have been preserved.
Six bastions were added in the 17th century. The furriers’ bastion, erected in 1628, was divided into four levels. Not only the furriers’ guild but also the locksmiths’ and goldsmiths’ guilds had their headquarters here. Each bastion has firing holes for cannons on lower levels and for hand-held weapons in the walls of the first and second floors.
Also in the 17th century, surrounding curtain walls were built. The inside of the walls are provided with archways supported by posts that sustain the guard path. Probably there were defense ditches on the outside, now covered.
The houses inside the fortress were demolished to make place for the military headquarters and bakery. After the restoration (1962 – 1965) the walls and bastions reclaimed their initial form.
A Lovely Walk
Beyond the Citadel there is little known street to tourists. Known nearly exclusively by locals, it's not published in any guide book, but to those who choose to diverge from the tried and true, perhaps well-worn guide book path, you shall be rewarded with a memorable walk.
Situated behind the Citadel away from the center of town and Pta. Trandafirilor, during the spring and summer months young couples are seen holding hands and sitting on the benches that line the tree-lined boulevard. During the autumn and winter months, couples continue to meander up and down the street holding hands and sharing stolen kisses.
It truly is a very remakable, hidden location known to most locals and all lovers. It definitely has a romantic, European feel to the street.
It has something to offer everyone, giving one time alone with their thoughts or to share an amorous moment with that special someone.
University of Medicine
Consult any reputable guidebook and it will undoubtedly speak of Targu Mures', "strong academic tradition." This is certainly represented by the University of Medicine. Arguably, the top medical school in Romania, (along with the University of Iasi and the University of Bucharest) it certainly is the best school of medicine in Transylvania. Situated along Str. Mihai Viteazul, it is perched on the hill across from, "Heroes Park" and up a bit from Mures County Hospital. In front of the school of medicine is a small but relaxing "Botanical garden", which is particularly beautiful during the Spring through Autumn months.
West of Piata Trandafirilor, along Str. Aurel Filmon is a synagogue which dates from 1900. Although, it has been damaged as a result of religious intolerance and the work of vandals, the gates usually remain locked. However it endures as a testament of the hardships endured by the near 6000 Jews who inhabited the city and peacefully co-exisited alongside Romanian Orthodoxy and Catholics, before World War II. It also serves as a physical reminder that Targu Mures was once a religiously tolerant, open and welcoming city.
The Palace of Culture & "Hall of Mirrors"
The Palace of Culture is one of the most representative examples of a Transylvanian building. Construction began in 1911 and was completed in 1913, in the style and manner of the Lechnerien school.
The Palace is impressive not only for its majolica roof, the mosaics and relieves on the exterior facade, but also it is home to the "Hall of Mirrors," stained-glass windows, which are located on the second floor and gaze over the Prefecture. In addition to hosting the "Hall of Mirrors," today the Palace of Culture houses the Tourist Information Bureau on the ground floor, as well as the Mures Philharmonic, which performs every Thursday in its concert hall, except during summer.
Primiaria (City hall) & Prefecture
On the southern end of Piata Tradafirailor in successive order is the "Primaria", town hall; the Prefecture and the majestic Palace of Culture with its Secessionist-style, colored roof.
The Prefecture built at the turn of the century was designed to give a modern, urban feel to the city at the beginning of the twentieth century. Constructed during 1905 to 1907 it has served as the town's hall for over 55 years before housing the Prefecture. The most distinctive aspect of the Prefecture is its sixty-meter tower, initially designed as a fire-tower. In front of the Prefecture sits a statue of "Romulus & Remus", presented to the city in 1924 by the Italian state as a reminder of its Latin origin.
Citadel & Hungarian Reformed Church
In 1602 a fortification was built north of the present city center, which houses the distinguished Hungarian Reformed church, was built in pentagonal layout comprises seven bastions, of which five continue to bear the guild's name that by tradition, supported and defended them.
As with all citadels of the time, it was constructed to house the town's inhabitants during times of war. Today, the citadel and church remain, however, townspeople congregate to celebrate more joyous occasions such as the annual beer and wine festivals held in June and October respectively.
Romanian Orthodox Church
The City of Targu Mures centers around Piata Trandafirilor, the "Rose Market". At the northern end of the piata lies the magnificent Orthodox Cathedral. The Cathedral had its southern facade restored and until recently was obscured by scaffolding. However, having completed restoration and with the scaffolding removed it reveals a beautiful copper edifice that looks over the piata and the statue of Avram Iancu.
Saint John the Baptist Roman Catholic church
Saint John the Baptist Church is a baroque style church in the city center of Targu Mures, built in 1764 on the place of a former church, as the catholic population had increased.
City Fortress Reformed church
The church inside the fortress was built in the 14th century by the Franciscan order. After the Reformation, the majority of the population became Protestant and so did this church.
If you are in Tirgu Mures than you must stop and look around in down town as well as to go and see the old castle!
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices