Did you mean?Try your search again
Favorite thing: 1727-The Piarist Gymnasium starting its activities in town.
1754-The first printing house in the county is founded in Carei.
1760-Carei is named as the county town of Satu Mare county (until 1926).
1765-The first drugstore of Carei opens its door.
1834-An earthquake hitts the region.
1836-A fire hitts the town.
1848-The town recieves a status of a community with organized administration.
1871-Carei becomes a railway juction point after the opening of Debrecen-Satu Mare route.
1876-Hegedus Joszef becomes the first major of the town.
1887-The great fire occured in Carei in 6th of May. 250 houses (about 20% of the town) were burnt down.
1918-After the end of the WWI with the fall of the Austro-Hungarian empire, Carei becomes a part of Romania.
1939-1945-During WWII Carei was again under Hungarian rule, but after the war it became again a part of Romania (there is still an Hungarian majority in the region).
1960-1989-During the Communist regime the town went under an industrialization processand becomes an industrial town. In addition, many block of flats were built in a new districts.
After the fell of the communism there future was unclear (as in many oither places in the country) and was in a bad condition. In the last years everything is starting to get a new shape with many foreign investors in town and growth in the living standarts.Opening of recration centers and restuarants, and renovation of old architectual sights suppose to help the touristic promotion in town.
In the picture you can see a very old street. Its hard to believe that the building on the left was still in use not not many years back from today... and I saw no renovation signs... :(
Updated Feb 15, 2005
Favorite thing: Today, Carei is a small sized city at the north-west of Romania, in the county of Satu Mare. Considering its size, the town has a rich history and many occasions remarkable from its past:
1320-The name of the town. "Villa Karul". first appers in a document, but foundations of the town can be tracked back to earlier times.
1346-The Karolyi family obtains the royal privilege of organizing a weekly fair.
1387-Sigismund of Luxembourg issues a privilege that gives Carei the right of organizing annual fairs.
1389-According to a document dated to that year, Carei was a small settlemet, with most of its houses built around the domain of the noble Karolyi family. 3 streets were mentioned in the document: Berveni street, Boblad street and Noua street.
1482-Karolyi Lanz Laszlo sets the foundation and builds a house made of stone, at the location where the Castle can be found today.
During the 16-17 centuries the town was devastated more the once. The town and the surrounding villages were attacked, robbed and set on fire both by the Ottoman invaders and by the Habsburgs.
1670-The town was robbed and set on fire by Rakoczi Gyorgys troops.
1673-The Turks from Oradea murderd 19 people and the towns surfs were forced to pay tribute.
At that time Carei suffered a lot and got to its worst situation ever, with only 25 families left in the settlement.
In April 1711 (after that there were no more clashes in the region), a new era beginns in the towns history: the colonization.
1712-The first Swabian (German) families arrive to Carei, while the last ones arrived in 1774. The total number of Swabian families that settled in Carei stood at 446.
The total number of the oses in town at the end of the 18th century stood at 1063.
Written Feb 15, 2005