The monument is located at the yard of the Great Jewsih Sinagogue in Decebal street. the monument (wrote in Hebrwe, English, Romanian and Hungarian) is in the memory of more then 18,000 jews from Satu Mare and its region that were sent to Auschwitz Birkenau during May-June, 1944 , and there they were killed.
The Jewish community in Satu Mare region was established in the mid-nineteenth century. The community became larger and was involved in the local social life. All of it made it one of the most widespread and prosperous jewish communities in the region. The "happy" days came to an end in WWII , when Transilvania was under Hungarian rule and most of the regions jews were deported to extermination camp.
Today, there are only 3 synagogues left in the Satu Mare (out of dozen in the past), and only 1 of them is still in use. The Great Synagogue (built in the nintheen twenties) is located at Decebal street, in the middle of the Liberty square and the "new" city center. The impressive Synagosgue is a great examplefor the jewish architecture at the region those times.
In the center of Satu mare, along the Somes river stands a walkway that was built after the big flood that hit the city in 1970 (the rain didnt stoped to fall for about 3 weeks).the inhabitant of the region and lawmens tried to build a wall that will block the water from spread into the city center but it was worthless against the stormy weather and at the end the water coverd a big part of the city and the damage was huge (exact numbers of victims is not clear because in the Communist regime of Ceausescu it was not allowed to publish it).
Today the river is much less raging so the people use the path as a promonade by summer to walk along and relaxing a bit.