Sibiu Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Sibiu

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Restaurant Pivnita de Vinuri: WienKeller

by Roadquill Written Aug 6, 2013

After a morning of exploration we were in need of some nourishment and found a little place just off of the small square, at the top of the stairs before they head down to Lower Town. The salad was full of greens. My veal in a cream sauce was delicious. Even though the place had a great wine list, it was warm and we opted for beer. We ate outside under the grape vines. It was a nice, relaxing place. Apparently the specialty was a quiche of some kind, but we found that out after our meal. \

• Photography

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Cafe Einstein: Casual Mix

by Roadquill Written Jul 26, 2013
    Cafe Einstein in Sibiu

Well it seemed mostly pizza, but the Einstein menu did have a number of other items. I tried the avocado soup, but it did not have much of an avocado flavor. They did a good job on the pizza, with lots of pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. The beer was cold. The outside patio was comfortable.

• Photography

NORICA: TRADITIONAL RESTAURANT IN GURA RAULUI

by LoriPori Updated Jul 21, 2013

Norica Restaurant - Gura Raului

Saturday, June 22, 2013
    Part of our VT Bus Tour included lunch and that was in the tiny town of Gura Raului at the restaurant NORICA. Our lovely hostess, greeted us all with trays of shot glasses of a local blueberry liquer. After taking some group pictures outside, we all went in to have lunch. First we had platters of appetizers including meats, cheeses and fresh field tomatoes.
    Then a platter of traditional Romanian fare including cabbage rolls (sarmale), sweet cabbage, polenta and home-made sausages.
    Lunch included bottles of water, wine and coffee/tea. Also had a lovely dessert. All in all a wonderful experience.

The Norica also is a Pension, offering rooms to travelers.

La Turn: Tasty Italian food in an historic old restaurant

La Turn

A group of us had dinner here on our first evening in Sibiu. Despite arriving unexpectedly we were easily accommodated inside and I think everyone was happy with their meal choices, though the service was maybe a little slow (but there were quite a lot of us). My ravioli with butter and sage was cooked nicely all dente and well flavoured. With a draft beer it cost 32 Lei (about €8).

After dinner I drank a very good local palinca, a pear schnapps. We had drifted out on to the terrace outside by this time and it was a lovely spot to relax with friends, overlooking the Small Square. Many of us returned here on the last night of the meeting, not to eat, but to enjoy again the relaxing atmosphere of the outside terrace and a last few drinks with friends.

La Turn occupies an historic building in the heart of the city, which dates back in part to the 15th century and was once the family home of an eminent local family, the Reissenfels.

Next tip: the Pardon Café

Pardon Café: Shady tables by the old city walls

by toonsarah Written Jul 17, 2013

A little weary and very hot after our guided walk through old Sibiu on the Friday morning of the meeting, some of us decided that we could not (or rather, would not) walk another step more than we had to, and collapsed here on the terrace of the Pardon Café. There was shade from the large parasols, a menu of refreshing drinks from which to choose, and we could relax here while listening to the philharmonic orchestra rehearsing in the nearby theatre.

I wasn’t hungry but was thirsty, so I chose the fresh lemonade with raspberries, which was so good (though not cheap at 15 Lei) that I had to have another! Once I had cooled off I also had an espresso as I needed my caffeine fix for the day. A couple of people in our group did order food and seemed to enjoy their pasta.

I returned here on the morning of my last day in Sibiu as I had come this way to get some more photos of the old walls and towers that make up the southern stretch of the defence system. This time I opted for a simple lemonade which cost 8 Lei and was equally refreshing.

The Pardon gets good reviews for its food and cosy atmosphere so if I were to return to Sibiu I would certainly consider having a meal here.

Next tip: our first official meeting dinner at the Casa Weidner

Casa Weidner: My first taste of some local specialities

Casa Weidner

The first group dinner organised as part of the VT Euromeet was at the very centrally-located Casa Weidner. This is a hotel with a basement restaurant, which is where we ate – a (fairly) cool cellar with lots of character. There were drinks to welcome us and plenty of room to circulate and greet old friends before the meal was served – a pre-requisite for the first meeting dinner, I feel!

The extensive menu arranged for us included:
    Cold buffet dishes: bell peppers filled with cheese, tomatoes filled with eggplant salad, stuffed eggs, meatballs, ham rolls with horseradish, salami, pork loin, various salads

Warm buffet dishes: spicy beef stew, fried perch, pork and chicken, sarmale (a local delicacy of sour cabbage rolls with minced pork stuffing, served with more sour cabbage, a little like a mild sauerkraut, cheesy polenta, baked beans, potatoes, rice, vegetables, pickles;

Dessert: excellent pancakes and another local speciality, delicious papanasi, which are doughnut-like pastries served sour cream and cherry jam

Beer, wine and water were also included in the very reasonable price of €20. Good local musicians played traditional music and lots of old hits (Beatles songs, Elvis etc.) as we ate, and afterwards for dancing – although as it got rather hot for that, and the evening air outside had cooled, many of us drifted upstairs to the outside terrace and sat there for our after dinner drinks.

Favorite Dish: I loved my first taste of sarmale and papanasi, and I also thought the cold buffet selection was excellent. Overall I thought this was easily the best of the three group meals in Sibiu, and the best value too.

Next tip: Saturday night’s dinner at Hermania

Restaurant Hermania: Lovely room, but food not so good

by toonsarah Written Jul 17, 2013

The second official dinner for the 2013 Euromeeting was held here in the Hermania Restaurant. The building is lovely, having been previously the home of the Philharmonic Orchestra (hence the name of the restaurant I assume, and the street it is on). The high ceiling gives a real feeling of space and the air-conditioning was very welcome on a hot, sticky evening. I liked the big old fireplace too – I imagine it could be very cosy here in winter.

The set menu for our dinner was:
    To start: trout in parsley sauce with mixed vegetables – the fish and sauce I thought were quite nice, but unfortunately for me the vegetables had peas in the mix, which I can’t stand and which proved quite hard to extricate from the rest.
    Main course: beef in berry sauce with baked potatoes – this looked good but was disappointing as the beef was over-cooked and too dry despite the sauce, though I did like the potatoes and the sour cream and dill topping.
    The dessert was a strudel, which was OK but not a patch on Friday's wonderful dessert!

Overall I was disappointed with this meal, which was definitely the least good we had as part of the meeting. The restaurant gets (mostly) good reviews on Trip Advisor but I think the challenge of doing a set meal for such a large group was too much for them, unfortunately. On the plus side, the beer was good and very refreshing, although to have only one large glass included in the €20 bill, after the generosity of the alcohol that flowed at the Casa Weidner on the previous evening, was a little disappointing too.

It would have been pleasant to have again sat outside over a post-dinner drink or two, as on the previous night, but the Hermania has no terrace and when Katherine and I walked back to the Large Square to get a drink there we found that a cool (even chilly) wind had got up and was blowing lots of grit around. There were frequent flashes of lightening too and you could feel the electricity in the air. We decided not to stay out, headed back to the hotel, and got back to our rooms just as a terrific storm broke! Photo five is my attempt to capture the effect of the lightning as seen from my room.

Next tip: Sunday lunch in the Large Square at L'Atelier

L'Atelier: Disappointing lunch in the Large Square

by toonsarah Written Jul 17, 2013

After a lovely walk in the Lower Town with Lori, Katherine and Teresa, and a refreshing iced coffee, Lori returned to the hotel. The rest of us opted to have some lunch and were joined by DAO. We were heading for the Pardon Café, as we knew that was good and in a pleasant location, when our attention fell instead on L'Atelier as we were passing. The thought of not walking any further but instead grabbing a shady table right here on the Large Square appealed, and the menu seemed to have enough choices to satisfy all our tastes, so we settled on this – but that decision proved to have been unwise!

I decided to look for something a little different to drink and chose an interesting cranberry beer called Redd's. This had a good flavour though was rather flat for a beer. My lunch choice, Salad Tricolore, was nothing like a “Tricolore” and was nothing special, and the accompanying pizza bread was dry and seemed stale. None of the other dishes chosen by my friends was much better, and Katherine's chicken risotto was just weird – see photo three to see what I mean!

On the plus side, the location is great and the interior, when I went in to use the toilets, was attractive. But that’s about all this place has going for it, as the service was slow and not especially friendly. You can find much better in Sibiu, so give this one a miss.

Next tip: our final official dinner at the Golden Tulip Hotel

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Golden Tulip Hotel: A room with a view!

Cold buffet selection

The final dinner of the VT meeting was held in a very different setting from the others – the top floor restaurant of the modern Golden Tulip Hotel, a short distance from the old town where most of us were staying. Being on the top (11th) floor meant for some great views over the city, although I was a little disappointed that the picturesque old town is on the side with the fewest windows (though it is visible from the lift).

The restaurant is a very pleasant, light and airy space, and there was lots of room for us at the three large tables allocated to our group. But I felt a bit sorry for the two couples dining at the other side of the room, especially when we all headed over there en masse to see the sunset, and when a couple of members decided to sing for us, good though they were.

The food was served buffet style and was on the whole very good, with lots of variety, especially cold appetisers. These included:
    Of these, I especially liked the terrine and the salads.

The hot main courses on the buffet were:
    The potatoes were the stand-out dish of the evening, with most of us going back for seconds. Many also enthused about the beef, but while it was certainly an improvement on that we had been served in the Hermania on the previous evening, it was still a little overdone for my taste – great mushroom gravy though.

For dessert there were two cakes, which looked fantastic, but neither was especially good despite being quite laden with alcohol!

The price of €25 included water & soft drinks, house wine or beer, and coffee. I drank the white wine and enjoyed it, and I thought the price was reasonable for the overall quality and quantity of the food in such a nice setting.

Next tip: lunch in a wine bar

Restaurant Weinkeller: Pivnița de vinuri: Lunch in a shady garden

by toonsarah Updated Jul 17, 2013

View from our table

On my last day in Sibiu three of us, Katherine, Teresa and I, agreed to meet up for a final lunch together before going our separate ways. This wine bar had been recommended to us by Ed (Kaspian) and so we decided to give it a try.

The setting for our lunch was very pretty, as we sat in a pleasant garden shaded with a vine. It was another hot day so as on the previous day at L’Atelier I chose a salad – but this was a far better one, with assorted leaves, roasted peppers, goats cheese, walnuts, balsamic dressing. It cost more too, admittedly, at 17.50 Lei, but was a generous portion and well worth it. With it I drank apple juice mixed with sparkling water – very refreshing.

While the garden setting was the main attraction for us on this occasion, the interior looked very cosy for a meal on a cooler day. It is located under the tower (Turnului Scarilor) in a series of cellars, and is divided into two non-smoking rooms and one smoking room.

Next tip: a souvenir from the Hereus Art Bazaar

MARA'S STEAK HOUSE: MAIN STREET RESTAURANT

Mara's Steak House

Tuesday, June 18, 2013
    As there were many restaurants near our Hotel, we walked down Sibiu's Main Street, Nicolae Balcescu, to look for a place to eat for the night. We chose MARA'S STEAK HOUSE as I liked the menu and they had a nice, shaded patio out front. Hans had lasagna ( 17,90 RON) and I had spaghetti bolognesa ( 19,90 RON) and we each had Apfelsaft (3,90 RON) to drink. It was an apple juice, made from green apples and was very tasty.
    The portions were small, but as it was such hot weather, it was more than enough to eat. Total bill was 45,60 RON (about $15.00 CDN).

CAFE' EINSTEIN: RESTAURANT IN PIATA MICA

Monday, June 17 & Thursday, June 20, 2013
    Hans and I had dinner at CAFE' EINSTEIN twice - the first time was on our first day in Sibiu and the second was with Kirsty and Add. The restaurant is located in the Small Square - Piata Mica, which is less busy than the Large Square.
    On Monday, Hans and I had grilled chicken which came with salad and patatas (19,90 RON). Thursday, we had pork cutlets which also came with salad and patatas (19,90 RON).
    Very enjoyable dinners and cozy atmosphere under large umbrellas on a patio.

585 FUSION RESTAURANT - GOLDEN TULIP: PANORAMIC VIEWS

Sunday, June 23, 2013
    "3rd (and last) dinner of the Euromeet
    585 Fusion Restaurant @ Golden Tulip Hotel , 2 Scoala de Inot Street, tel:+40269234000 Sibiu, Romania

Farewell dinner in Sibiu with nice members coming to Sibiu for the 9th official VT Euromeeting in 2013

Features: 11th floor (penthouse) of Golden Tulip Hotel, 360 degree panoramic view

Cuisine: Fusion
    Price: EUR 25/person - meal&drinks (water&soft drinks, house wine or beer, coffee)
    Menu:
    The buffet for the 3rd dinner:
    Cold starters: cream cheese tortilla, perch and salmon terrine, chicken with olives and bacon, vol au vent with ham and cucumber, tomatoes filled with eggplant salad, mushrooms and vegetables, bell pepper with vegetables, salad
    Warm buffet: grilled pork, steak with mushrooms, baked chicken thighs, vegetables cooked in butter, rustic potatoes with bacon, coleslaw
    Dessert: cake with yogurt, chocolate cake
    Also included: water, beer, wine, soft drinks

Favorite Dish: Loved the steak with mushrooms and the rustic potatoes.

PIAZZA GRANDE: PRETZEL KIOSKS

by LoriPori Written Jul 10, 2013

PIAZZA GRANDE

A very popular form of snack is the Pretzel. Along Str. Nicolae Balcescu there are many kiosks selling pretzels and pastries. The pretzels usually go for about a lei which is a cheap snack. Right about lunch time and dinner time, you see line-ups of locals waiting to buy their favorite snack. One of the kiosks was the PIAZZA GRANDE pictured here. It is located near the Piata Mare across the street from our Hotel.

ATRIUM CAFE': A CAFE' NEAR LIAR'S BRIDGE

by LoriPori Updated Jul 2, 2013

Wednesday, June 26, 2013
    It was our last night in Sibiu and we wanted to get together with a few VT friends who were still in Sibiu. Ali got in touch with us and said to meet at the ATRIUM CAFE' which is near Liar's Bridge. We - Hans and I, Ali and Co, Ed and Petruta - met there at 6:00 p.m. It was nice to get together one last time. Hans and I shared a pineapple pizza and we each had a Sprite. Ed had some kind of Pizza also. Ali had a salad and Co had spaghetti. Petruta had mushroom soup. All in all, pretty good.
    We sat around for over two hours chatting and then after lots of hugs, went our separate ways.

Instant Answers: Sibiu

Comments

Sibiu Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sibiu restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sibiu sightseeing.