Sibiu Shopping

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

BILLA SUPERMARKET: SUPERMARKET

by LoriPori Written Jul 2, 2013

Billa Supermarket

When we arrived in Sibiu Monday around dinner time, I asked the young man at the desk, if there was a supermarket close by, so I could buy a few things. He told me that there was a BILLA not even 50 meters away from the Hotel. So, after dinner, I strolled over to the supermarket, which by the way is a very busy place, and bought some bottled water, Milk, rolls, lunch meat and some snacks. We had a fridge in our room, which was wonderful. The prices were comparable to at home. e.g 1 liter of milk was 2,79 RON - about $1.00 CDN, 2 liter bottled water was ,95 RON - about .30 CDN.
    There was so much to choose from - a fresh fruit and vegetable section - milk, cheeses and yogurt - in-store bakery with fresh bread and rolls, including pretzels - a deli section with cold cuts, cheeses, cooked chicken pieces and salads - soft drinks and water section - canned goods - snacks and cookies - Household goods. All in all, most of what you need.
    Open Monday - Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    Sunday - 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Hereus Art Bazaar: Lovely crafts and souvenirs

by toonsarah Updated Jul 17, 2013

It was only on my final morning in Sibiu that I found the sort of souvenir of my trip that I had been looking out for. I love to buy local jewellery when on holiday as it is easy to carry home, often distinctive, and brings back happy memories whenever I wear it – as well as often prompting questions and conversations about the place where it was bought.

On this occasion I came across a small shop just off the Small Square (Piaþa Mica), right by the Liars’ Bridge, which had an interesting mix of craft items and some clothing. I quickly decided the painted glass objects were right for me, as, although modern, they reminded me just a little of the painted glass icons we had seen in Sibiel. I was tempted by the small hanging glass pictures but then I saw the necklaces and knew I would look no further. The pretty one I chose was on a ribbon whose colour did not really suit me (a sort of mustard yellow) but the helpful assistant offered to swap it for a brown or grey one and took a lot of trouble to make sure it looked right. And all this for just €5!

They take payment in euros as well as the local currency, but not plastic, by the way. If you don’t like the glass items there are more traditional paintings, decorated eggs, ceramics and more. They also sell postcards, and the aforementioned clothing.

The building that houses the shop is interesting too. It dates from the 16th century and its location right by the steps that lead down to Strada Ocnei have resulted in an unusual configuration – from the front, i.e. the shop entrance, it appears to be single storey, but as you go down the steps you can see it has a lower floor which I think is an apartment rather than part of the shop.

Next tip: the Dracula connection

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CIBIN MARKET: SIBIU'S FARMERS' MARKET

by LoriPori Updated Jul 7, 2013

The largest fruit and vegetable Market in Sibiu CIBIN MARKET in Piata Cibin which is situated at the end of Turnuiui Street, near the Cibin Bridge.
    On Sunday, June 23, Sarah, Teresa, Katherine and I came across the Market on our little outing together. The Market is Huge and has tons of stalls offering many varieties of fruit and vegetables.
    Also, surrounding the market are many little shops offering cheeses, meats and sausages.

Vegetables:

watermelon
    strawberries
    cherries

Open daily

Picture #5 shows a bunch of Ladies Bedstraw or Dragaica. In the past the dried plants were used to stuff mattresses, as the coumarin scent of the plants acts as a flea killer.
    I saw many Gypsy women selling these fragrant golden yellow flowers. I was told it was a tradition to have these on Fairies' night which was June 24.

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Promenada.: A big shopping mall.

by Dizzyhead Updated Jun 30, 2010

This is a big mall in Sibiu and you find everything you need here for yourself. They have also many cafés here and you dont have to starve. Nice mall to spend some hours when it rains or if you look for something to buy. The mall has also a very nice café where you can sit down and have a cup of coffee after spending all your money!

What to buy: All kind of things. It is a very big mall, and you will find what you look for.

What to pay: With your money or credit card.

• Luxury Travel

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Meli Melo.: You can buy girl things here like ear rings.

by Dizzyhead Updated Jun 19, 2011

Here you can buy all kind of stuff. Especially for women. Rings or necklaces and things like this. They have a lot of stuff for women here! Maybe for men who likes girl stuff too. But I guess mostly girls shop in this botique.

What to buy: Ear rings and such things. Necklaces. And more interesting things.

What to pay: Not expensive things at least.

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Tourist shops.: Buy a coffee cup.

by Dizzyhead Updated Jul 21, 2011

Any shop. You find mostly these kind of souvenirs in tourist shops and tourist informations. My feeling say that they mostly cost between 5 to 12 euros all over the world. It is a nice memory and you usually use them every day especially in the mornings when you drink your coffee.

What to buy: A cup with pictures from the city of Sibiu, which is a very good memory from your trip or if you are lucky, you get it as a gift from people from that country. Or you can buy it to your friends. Uusually everybody drinks coffee or tea.

What to pay: Not so much. Everybody can afford it.

Adela.: Hair cutting.

by Dizzyhead Updated Jul 13, 2011

This a place where you cut your hair or get your manicyre for your nails. For men, it is upstairs.They were proffessional and quick. I did not have to wait long time until I could cut my hair. Very helpful ladies here.

What to buy: A hair cut. Who doesnt want to look very good in the hair.

What to pay: Average and it is not expensive to cut your hair here or in any other place in Romania. I recommend anyone to do it and help Romania to get a better economy.

• Rec Play: Glam Underground

by MiguelPS2112 Updated Aug 14, 2008

Rec Play Str Ocnei 26

Unique Glam underground shop in the city, here youll find all you need to dress casual or if you want to feel nice at the Club. Skunk Funk, Sabbath, Kling, Charito Mucha Marcha... are all waiting for you...

What to buy: Everything is just great... Free gifts for all Customers.

What to pay: As much as you feel

• adema29's Profile Photo

Shopping in Piata Mica: Painted furniture/miniatures

by adema29 Updated Dec 23, 2011

Under construction-Painted furniture/miniatures

It is amazing the way those popular artists were painting the furniture.
    We found a small shop in Piata Mica where they are selling miniatures in that time when everybody's paying only for the modern "plastic" furniture.
    I have promised to myself that sometime 'll buy that kind of furniture, at least for helpimng them to save the tradition.

Instant Answers: Sibiu

Comments

Sibiu Shopping

Reviews and photos of Sibiu shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sibiu sightseeing.