Places to eat in Bucharest

Caru Cu Bere - beer cellar
  • ""Beer Frescoes", Caru Cu Bere

Most Viewed Restaurants in Bucharest

• Romanian_Bat's Profile Photo

L'Harmattan, Saint George, Bucurestiul d'Altadat': No go restaurants in Bucharest

by Romanian_Bat Updated Jul 17, 2008

Living in a country like Romania gives one the chance to witness enough stupidity for a millenium by just trying to... dine out. So, we find ourselves in the city centre, trying to get something to eat at 10 PM on a summer day, and we do not want to get into the pizza, sandwich'n shawarma thing. So we go to L'Harmattan, a Moroccan restaurant. The door is wide open, there is a big board saying they are open until midnight, the waitress is stuck to the bar chatting to the bar tender. We try to enter, the waitress turns her head in disgust and shouts with that impossible to translate Romanian "sictir": "It's closed!". We wonder how that can be in a civilized tone, at which she starts mocking at us. We go on, along the same Franceza Street, to Saint George, a Hungarian Restaurant with which I had previous bad experiences (i.e. if one needs to make a group menu, he/she has to wait for 2 months until the manager returns from holidays and no, one cannot use the regular menu), but to hell, we are hungry. The restaurant is full, but we find a table. The waiter comes, his face sick and tired of yet another group of hungry fools: "Only if you want to drink something from the bar, otherwise it is closed". OK, we walk on, to one of the most narcissist places in town: the Cafeneaua Bucurestiului d'Altadat'. They had their first outlet in Brasov and now they opened this melange of English bar with a touch of French wallpaper and frozen food. Anyway, we sit down, are given the "good" piece of news that if we want to eat, we should hurry for the kitchen closes down in 15 minutes. We choose something and enjoy a glass of wine in the music provided by morons that parked their cars in the bus stop so that, every time the bus passes by, their alarm starts. Time passes by at first unnoticed, as we keep on chatting, but then it becomes painful. It's been half an hour, then more. Eventually food comes. The supposedly thick soup is as light as the French onion soup, and my Thai salad is simply disgusting, but I am too hungry to say no; the meat is hard like the wooden table I am sitting at, it is salty as if it was salt with a touch of meat and not the other way around. The humus that comes aside is tasteless, which makes it for softening somehow the enormous quantity of salt in the meat; the only relatively good thing is the aubergine salad, even though it is pretty obvious it's been frozen and microwaved. The bread they bring is the most uninspiring (and untoasted) toast junk ever, it tastes and feels like chewing gum. We get on a cab and go home. I get off the car at Dristor and remember the line of people waiting at the shawarma place in Dristor at any time of the day and night. Now I see: those people are lucky, for they are being treated more correctly than imbeciles wanting to eat in supposedly high class restaurants in Bucharest. Verdict: no l'Harmattan (if you want to be treated right and to eat well Moroccan food, try Annette in Sofia, that is a totally different place), no St. George (if you want to eat Hungarian food and be treated with respect, go to Targu Mures' Tempo Panzio, or to Tusnad's Fortuna Restaurant), and hell no Cafeneaua Bucurestiului d'Altadat' (if you want to get a glimpse of oldtimes' Bucharest, try Rossetya; if you want to eat local, try Vatra). And just for the sake of it, when trying to dine out in places you do not know, keep a sandwich in your handbag; just in case they are total frauds, as they very well might be.

• Trains

Sheriff's: Fast food near Piata Unirii

by SWFC_Fan Updated May 5, 2008

My friend and I visited Sheriff’s for a quick bite to eat one lunch time during our visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This large fast food restaurant, similar to its more famous American counterparts in terms of décor and food options, is located on Bulevardul Ion Bratianu, a short walk north of Piata Unirii. It looks very much like a typical fast food chain, but as far as I can tell there is only one branch in Bucharest. Sheriff’s occupies the entire ground floor of a long block of apartments and adds some much needed colour (with its yellow signs, blue and red logos and a large Sheriff character) to an otherwise grim and faceless residential building.

The menu features a selection of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, bacon burgers, pieces of fried chicken, breakfast items (eg. egg and bacon muffins), fries, salads, soft drinks and hot beverages. At another counter, you can choose from half a dozen different pizzas. Just like McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like, there are a selection of “value meals” featuring a burger, side dishes, a drink and a dessert.

A sign above the door makes the rather ambitious (and, in my opinion, completely unsubstantiated) claim to offer the “Best Food in Town”.

Medium sized Hawaiian pizza - Cost: 18.50 Lei / 3.70 GBP

A decent sized deep pan pizza, topped with cheese, pineapple, banana, mushrooms and olives. Note the interesting substitution of banana for ham compared with the Hawaiian pizzas we get in the UK. Despite the lack of meat, it was a good pizza and was plenty big enough to fill a hole without the need for any accompaniments.

My friend opted for half a dozen pieces of fried chicken and wasn’t as impressed with his meal as I was with mine.

Large Sprite - Cost: 4 Lei / 0.80 GBP

Typical fast food meals, a short walk from Piata Unirii.

Haveli Indian Restaurant: Excellent Indian food in Bucharest

by SWFC_Fan Written May 5, 2008

My friend and I ate at Haveli Indian Restaurant one evening during a visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This excellent Indian restaurant is located on Strada Episcopul Radu, just off Strada Mihai Eminescu, a short distance north east of the city centre.

Not for the only time during our stay in the Romanian capital, we had trouble finding this place. The restaurant was recommended in our guidebook, so we showed the advert to a taxi driver and asked him to take us there. Armed with a photo of the restaurant and an address, we thought it would be easy enough to find – how wrong we were! It became evident that the driver didn’t know where we were going when he kept turning to us, shrugging his shoulders and saying “Eminescu, Eminescu, Strada, Eminescu…?”. At one point he pulled up hopefully outside a Chinese restaurant and asked us if that was the place we were looking for; it clearly wasn’t! After another 10 minutes, the driver decided to ask for help. He pulled into a side street and jogged off down the road to find somebody who might be able to direct him. We eventually stumbled across Haveli, and the beaming, satisfied smile of the driver made it all worthwhile.

Inside the restaurant, a couple of friendly and attentive waiters (smartly dressed in dinner suits, waistcoats and bowties) guided us into one of the dining areas and passed us English-language menus.

A full online menu can be found on the restaurant’s website here: Haveli menu

Starters include poppadums, samosas and onion bhajis, as well as chicken and mixed grill options. There are also salads and a range of Indian naan breads to accompany your main meal.

The main courses consist mainly of curries, predominantly chicken, lamb, seafood and vegetarian options. All of the chicken and lamb curries (tikka, jalfrezi, vindaloo, madras, mango spicy, korma, rogan josh…) are priced at 29 Lei (approx. 6 GBP), while the vegetarian options are priced between 15 and 20 Lei (approx. 3 -4 GBP). Simple rice portions are priced at 10 – 11 Lei (approx. 2 GBP), while biryani dishes cost around 29 Lei (6 GBP).

Vegetable Samosas - Cost: 11 Lei / 2.20 GBP

Two flaky pastry triangles, tightly packed with peas, potato and various other vegetables and spices. Served with a couple of dips (a spicy mango chutney and a mint flavoured dip) and onions.

Mango Spicy Chicken - Cost: 29 Lei / 6 GBP

The waiter asked whether I’d like it mild, medium or spicy. I asked for it to be “quite spicy”, and that’s exactly what it was. The tasty mango sauce had quite a kick to it, but it wasn’t overbearing. The chicken was very good quality and overall I was very satisfied with my meal.

Basmati rice - Cost: 10 Lei / 2 GBP

A dish of white rice to accompany the curry.

2 x mango lassis - Cost: 6 Lei / 1.20 GBP per glass

The cool, smooth lassis were the perfect accompaniment to a hot curry. These sweet yoghurt drinks (I opted for “sweet” rather than “sour” when the waiter asked) work wonders in ensuring that your mouth doesn’t get too hot from all the spices.

Excellent Indian food and friendly, attentive service. Highly recommended!

Gara Lipscani: Good value snack bar on Lipscani

by SWFC_Fan Written May 5, 2008

My friend and I had a quick lunch at Gara Lipscani during our visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This simple café/snack bar, offering a variety of cheap snacks and light meals, is located on the pedestrianised Strada Lipscani, in the heart of the city centre.

The café’s name translates as “Lipscani Station” and its external appearance (a red brick façade with the name in large yellow lettering above the door) might give the impression that you are entering an underground railway station. There are photographs of trains on the walls of the dining area as well.

The small underground dining area contains a handful of simple wooden tables and benches. It was full with local students and youngsters when we visited, with the only free table being a two seated table next to the counter with a “reserved” sign on it. Despite the table being reserved, we were told that we were ok to sit there.

The menu features a host of light meals such as sandwiches, soups, spaghetti, omelettes, beef, pork and seafood dishes. Prices are very reasonable, the service was very fast and efficient and the quality of the food was good.

Omelette with mushrooms - Price: 3.70 Lei / 0.75 GBP

A standard omelette with a handful of mushrooms in it, served with a portion of bread. Very good value for money.

500ml bottle of Pepsi - Price: 4 Lei / 0.80 GBP

My friend opted for a similarly priced spaghetti dish – long spaghetti in a tomato based sauce and served with crusty bread, and was equally satisfied with his meal.

Good value snacks and light meals in a simple, underground snack bar! Recommended!

Rubin House Restaurant: Large restaurant with extensive menu

by SWFC_Fan Written May 5, 2008

My friend and I ate at Rubin House one evening during our visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This large restaurant, with an extensive and varied menu, is located on Strada Mavrogheni – just off Bulevardul I C Bratianu, between the squares of Piata Unirii and Piata Universitatii, closer to the latter.

The restaurant’s large dining area contains dozens of elaborately set tables, including several large tables that could seat between 20 and 30 people – making it an ideal venue for functions and parties. Reservations can be made via the restaurant’s website here: Rubin House reservations.

A full online menu can also be found on their website: Rubin House menu - as with the menus at the restaurant itself, all dishes are translated into English.

The restaurant offers a good selection of dishes, but we found prices to be somewhat higher than anywhere else that we ate in Bucharest. For example, a seafood salad will set you back 32 Lei (approx. 6.50 GBP / 13 USD), grilled swordfish with tarragon costs 36 Lei (approx 7.20 GBP / 14.50 USD) and a portion of Tiramisu is priced at 11 Lei (approx. 2.20 GBP / 4.50 USD). You will find a large selection of pasta dishes, pork, beef and chicken dishes, salads and desserts.

That said, prices are still very reasonable in comparison to those in the UK and much of western Europe. It is just that they are fairly expensive compared to many other places in Bucharest.

I feel a little guilty giving this restaurant a poor score of 2/5 – it’s a nice set up, offers a warm and comfortable dining area and a menu that caters for all tastes. However, the quality of my meal (which, for me at least, is the most important criteria by which to rate a restaurant), dictates that I only rate Rubin House with a 2.

It is only fair that I point out that we arrived there quite late in the evening, the restaurant had clearly served lots of guests throughout the day and the kitchens were soon to be closed for the night. Only a dozen or so other diners remained at the time of our visit. I scrutinized the menu and saw one dish that really caught my eye: Shrimps Flambé cu Sos de Chilli / Flambéed Shrimps in Chilli Sauce. I decided to splash out the 35 Lei (7 GBP / 14 USD) for a dish that I was sure I would enjoy. The waitress took our order and disappeared into the kitchen. A few minutes later she returned to say that it would not be possible for the chef to cook the shrimps at this late hour, but suggested a few other dishes that I might like to try…and that the chef would presumably be willing to cook!

I took another look at the menu and opted for:

Coaste de Porc cu Sos BBQ / Pork Ribs with BBQ Sauce - Price: 21.70 Lei / 4.50 GBP / 9 USD

A handful of pork ribs, served with a baked potato (topped with sour cream and bacon bits), fried onions and assorted green vegetables.

In truth, it was a real disappointment. The meat on the ribs was poor – too much fat, and very hard to chew. Where the meat wasn’t so fatty, it looked undercooked. It was difficult to find any meat that was worth attempting to eat. I picked at it for a while, but left the majority of it.

The accompanying baked potato was overcooked, and the only part of the meal that I enjoyed was the fried onions and vegetables which were very tasty.

A couple of bottles of Ursus beer - Price: 5 Lei / 1 GBP / 2 USD per 500ml bottle

A large restaurant with an extensive choice of dishes and a spacious and welcoming dining room. My meal was pretty poor – but perhaps I was there at the wrong time.

• 1 more image

Fornetti: Snack food!

by sjutton Written Apr 3, 2008

These little pastry places are everywhere. It's a fast and affordable snack if you are on the go or just need a little treat. In 2007 it was about 1.10 Lei for a 100 gram portion (3 or 4 pastries) and 2.50 lei for 1 mini-pizza.

Favorite Dish: The apple fornetti are my favorite.

• monica71's Profile Photo

Anatolia Restaurant: great food, great atmosphere, great view

by monica71 Updated Mar 20, 2008

The place where Anatolia Restaurant is located is very well know to people who live in Bucharest. It is the location of the Brotacei Restaurant.

The restaurant serves great international and local food in a very casual atmosphere. The interior is very tastefully decorated. They also have a patio where you can eat your food during the summer months. It also provides great views of the Tei Lake.

We went here on my last visit to Bucharest, in December 2006, to celebrate my dad's 60s B-Day and we had a blast! Everything was perfect: the food, the atmosphere, the location... The personnel did all they could to ensure that we had a great party and that we take back only good memories! It is a place that I highly recommend for lunch, dinner or a cup of coffee and one of their superb desserts.

Favorite Dish: really hard to pick a favorite dish; all their food is cooked on the spot, fresh and it taste divine!

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

Vasiliada Tea shop- Cafe: A secret corner

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 18, 2007

Vasiliada Tea- House became my favorite hiding place after a hectic day at work and university. It is set within Vasiliada Bookshop: all you have to do is go up on the interior circular stairs and you feel as if you're protected from the sound of the street.It has just a few tables, with wonderful Romanian music (such as Nicu Alifantis's folk music).
    I have to add that you can taste here everything starting from green and black tea to rooibos and mate.
    Vasiliada Bookshop has books only in Romanian and it's the place for theological works. You can also buy different types of tea ( 8.9 RON = 2,8 EURO for 50grams) or tea pots (these are a bit more expenssive -up to 50 EURO) and all sorts of accessories for this delight.

It's opened all week long till late in the evenings (up to 11:00 p.m). However the bookshop closes earlier so ring the bell just as you would if you were visiting a friend. Someone will come to open the door for you.

Favorite Dish: The South- American Mate (careful not to burn your lips) and the sweet bread ( 3 pieces for 4,5 LEI = 1,4 EURO)

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

EXCALIBUR: Great food with a sword by your side

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 13, 2007

Please step in My beloved Lady and most courageous Knight:
    Fell free to sit at any table in the medieval restaurant, ask the kind waiters to give you the sword to prove your skills and the menu to taste the delicious dishes. Do not expect to be served on a silver plate, but on a wooden one, no forks included (only at request).
    Ahhh careful: most of the plates can be shared between 2,3 and up to 6 persons.
    If you want to try the venison dishes, make sure you let them know with at lest 48 hours in advance.
    !!!Book in advance!!!

To be honest, this is my favorite place in the whole city. Nothing but the best!

Favorite Dish: For My Lady with pleasure is a must: chicken with sesame like no other
    King's Plateau for 2 can actually be eaten by 3- a flavored mix of steak and sausages with vegetables.

• WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

Restaurant St. George: For those who like Hungarian food, stylish place

by WanderingFinn Written Sep 18, 2007

The outlook of the restaurant is very stylish. What I especially liked, is the fact that they used real (not paper) napkins and real white tableclothes. The overall feeling was a fine dining restaurant. There was no dress code but one would not feel allright with sports gear in this place.

It was nice to listen to the Hungarian gypsy band playing nice music with violins.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember anymore what I ate, but I've been to Hungary too and their food is usually very good and tasteful.

• WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

Restaurant Burebista Traditional: A must! Great game and traditional local food!

by WanderingFinn Updated Aug 5, 2007

The restaurant is nicely decorated, in a traditional and hunter's style. On the chairs of the patio there are skins of wild animals and the patio is made of wood.

The inside part is also cosy; red-and-white table clothes and wooden interior is very traditional looking.

Favorite Dish: I tried the grilled goose liver - it was heavenly soft! I will never forget it. (It is sold per 100g; and 100g cost appr. 9 euros).

My husband took (wild) boar and enjoyed it a lot.

There was also bear in the menu!

• codrutz's Profile Photo

PICOLLO MONDO: Tasty lebanese food

by codrutz Updated Mar 4, 2007

Picollo Mondo is one of the best Lebanese restaurant in Bucharest. It is not cheap so it is not crowded. When you feel like some Rashasfur of spicy original Lebanese Kebab with the big loaf of bread, you definitely have to go here to have a tasty meal. You can try also the traditional smoking pots. The restaurant also has a first floor.

Picollo Mondo is also a hotel. From what I see it is popular amongst all kinds of travelers, not only middle easterns.

Favorite Dish: All dishes are surprising, you have to go many times to sample all.

Uptown Bar & Grill Restaurant: International Cuisine

by ardelean Written Dec 7, 2006

Open covered terrace on indoor room. The terrace is heated in winter and cooled in summer.

Essential to book at busy times.

Favorite Dish: Really excelent internatinal cuisine as reasonable prices for international travellers, but expensive for most locals.

Sangria: disappointing & expensive

by ardelean Updated Dec 7, 2006

The restaurant has a light open airy room in the Mediterranean style. The ambiance is attractive so it is a shame that the food and service does not match the initial impression. Romanian hosts like to take visitors here, not realising that they would rather go to one of the excellent local restaurants.

Favorite Dish: The food was mediocre and definitely overpriced for the quality. Service was unexciting.

Burebista Vanator: The Hunter's Table

by ardelean Updated Dec 7, 2006

Wooden chairs and hunting trophies are scattered over three levels. The band plays on.

It is essential to book at popular times, as it is popular with the theatre crowd and the artists when the show has finished at the National Theatre round the corner.

Favorite Dish: The food is tasty and filling, especially the game, but choose with care if you want a modest bill.

Bucharest Hotels

Latest: Jan 25, 2014
Crystal Palace
Latest: Jan 29, 2014

Instant Answers: Bucharest

Comments

Bucharest Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Bucharest locals.
Map of Bucharest