Places to eat in Bucharest

Most Viewed Restaurants in Bucharest

• Manara's Profile Photo

Mamma Leone: Fish galore

by Manara Updated Apr 26, 2010

I was told that this is the only fish restaurant in Bucharest. I don’t know if it’s literally true, but after trying it I would say that if there are others they must find it very hard to compete with Mamma Leone.

It is situated in a small house, furnished in an elegant and discreet style.

Here one finds a real feast of fish, both from fresh-water and from the sea: pike, perch, bass, turbot, cod, mullet, sturgeon. Some are fried, other grilled and some are stewed in wine-and-vegetable sauce.

Favorite Dish: It is a pity I cannot remember the precise name of the dish, but among the appetizers there was a delicious preparation of sturgeon with various vegetables that tasted like heaven.

• RoBeauty's Profile Photo

Romanian & International Cusine: Bucharest Restaurants

by RoBeauty Updated Apr 4, 2011

I recomand you ? Dinner and folk show at typical Romanian Restaurant like Terasa Doamnei ,Casa Doina, Hanul lui Manuc
    International cusine Casa Vernescu, Nabbabo, Marul de Aur,
    Turkis restaurant: Golden falcon
    Midlleast Restaurant: Sahara, Blida, Capitan,Coin Vert

Favorite Dish: folkloric show with "Perinitza" dance :) , wine tasting in the cellar, ciorba , sarmale & mamaliga

• Wine Tasting

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Taj Restaurant: Great curries

by deeper_blue Written Feb 5, 2004

Taj is an excellent Indian restaurant close to the Marriott hotel. It has a varied assortment of Indian cuisine, I bravely/foolishly tried the chicken fhall, they didn't let up on the spice!
    Note:Try to book ahead as it does get busy here

Favorite Dish: Phall

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Count Dracula club: Enter freely and of your own will!

by deeper_blue Written Feb 6, 2004

If you like Dracula you should visit Count D's club in Bucharest. It has a fantastic decor to it and dark morbid feel to it, while still serving good authentic Romanian food with interesting titles, such as Devil Chicken in Hot Sauce.

Favorite Dish: The Special

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

EXCALIBUR: Great food with a sword by your side

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 13, 2007

Please step in My beloved Lady and most courageous Knight:
    Fell free to sit at any table in the medieval restaurant, ask the kind waiters to give you the sword to prove your skills and the menu to taste the delicious dishes. Do not expect to be served on a silver plate, but on a wooden one, no forks included (only at request).
    Ahhh careful: most of the plates can be shared between 2,3 and up to 6 persons.
    If you want to try the venison dishes, make sure you let them know with at lest 48 hours in advance.
    !!!Book in advance!!!

To be honest, this is my favorite place in the whole city. Nothing but the best!

Favorite Dish: For My Lady with pleasure is a must: chicken with sesame like no other
    King's Plateau for 2 can actually be eaten by 3- a flavored mix of steak and sausages with vegetables.

Ready for a battle A Knight's Sword From Kingdom's Chef (for one person) My Fair Lady

Gara Lipscani: Good value snack bar on Lipscani

by SWFC_Fan Written May 5, 2008

My friend and I had a quick lunch at Gara Lipscani during our visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This simple café/snack bar, offering a variety of cheap snacks and light meals, is located on the pedestrianised Strada Lipscani, in the heart of the city centre.

The café’s name translates as “Lipscani Station” and its external appearance (a red brick façade with the name in large yellow lettering above the door) might give the impression that you are entering an underground railway station. There are photographs of trains on the walls of the dining area as well.

The small underground dining area contains a handful of simple wooden tables and benches. It was full with local students and youngsters when we visited, with the only free table being a two seated table next to the counter with a “reserved” sign on it. Despite the table being reserved, we were told that we were ok to sit there.

The menu features a host of light meals such as sandwiches, soups, spaghetti, omelettes, beef, pork and seafood dishes. Prices are very reasonable, the service was very fast and efficient and the quality of the food was good.

Omelette with mushrooms - Price: 3.70 Lei / 0.75 GBP

A standard omelette with a handful of mushrooms in it, served with a portion of bread. Very good value for money.

500ml bottle of Pepsi - Price: 4 Lei / 0.80 GBP

My friend opted for a similarly priced spaghetti dish – long spaghetti in a tomato based sauce and served with crusty bread, and was equally satisfied with his meal.

Good value snacks and light meals in a simple, underground snack bar! Recommended!

Gara Lipscani, Bucharest Interior of Gara Lipscani, Bucharest Interior of Gara Lipscani, Bucharest

Vasiliada Tea shop- Cafe: A secret corner

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 18, 2007

Vasiliada Tea- House became my favorite hiding place after a hectic day at work and university. It is set within Vasiliada Bookshop: all you have to do is go up on the interior circular stairs and you feel as if you're protected from the sound of the street.It has just a few tables, with wonderful Romanian music (such as Nicu Alifantis's folk music).
    I have to add that you can taste here everything starting from green and black tea to rooibos and mate.
    Vasiliada Bookshop has books only in Romanian and it's the place for theological works. You can also buy different types of tea ( 8.9 RON = 2,8 EURO for 50grams) or tea pots (these are a bit more expenssive -up to 50 EURO) and all sorts of accessories for this delight.

It's opened all week long till late in the evenings (up to 11:00 p.m). However the bookshop closes earlier so ring the bell just as you would if you were visiting a friend. Someone will come to open the door for you.

Favorite Dish: The South- American Mate (careful not to burn your lips) and the sweet bread ( 3 pieces for 4,5 LEI = 1,4 EURO)

My special treat hidden above the city between the meanu and tea tea we bought for home girls whispering

• codrutz's Profile Photo

PICOLLO MONDO: Tasty lebanese food

by codrutz Updated Mar 4, 2007

Picollo Mondo is one of the best Lebanese restaurant in Bucharest. It is not cheap so it is not crowded. When you feel like some Rashasfur of spicy original Lebanese Kebab with the big loaf of bread, you definitely have to go here to have a tasty meal. You can try also the traditional smoking pots. The restaurant also has a first floor.

Picollo Mondo is also a hotel. From what I see it is popular amongst all kinds of travelers, not only middle easterns.

Favorite Dish: All dishes are surprising, you have to go many times to sample all.

Inside Picollo Mondo

Rubin House Restaurant: Large restaurant with extensive menu

by SWFC_Fan Written May 5, 2008

My friend and I ate at Rubin House one evening during our visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This large restaurant, with an extensive and varied menu, is located on Strada Mavrogheni – just off Bulevardul I C Bratianu, between the squares of Piata Unirii and Piata Universitatii, closer to the latter.

The restaurant’s large dining area contains dozens of elaborately set tables, including several large tables that could seat between 20 and 30 people – making it an ideal venue for functions and parties. Reservations can be made via the restaurant’s website here: Rubin House reservations.

A full online menu can also be found on their website: Rubin House menu - as with the menus at the restaurant itself, all dishes are translated into English.

The restaurant offers a good selection of dishes, but we found prices to be somewhat higher than anywhere else that we ate in Bucharest. For example, a seafood salad will set you back 32 Lei (approx. 6.50 GBP / 13 USD), grilled swordfish with tarragon costs 36 Lei (approx 7.20 GBP / 14.50 USD) and a portion of Tiramisu is priced at 11 Lei (approx. 2.20 GBP / 4.50 USD). You will find a large selection of pasta dishes, pork, beef and chicken dishes, salads and desserts.

That said, prices are still very reasonable in comparison to those in the UK and much of western Europe. It is just that they are fairly expensive compared to many other places in Bucharest.

I feel a little guilty giving this restaurant a poor score of 2/5 – it’s a nice set up, offers a warm and comfortable dining area and a menu that caters for all tastes. However, the quality of my meal (which, for me at least, is the most important criteria by which to rate a restaurant), dictates that I only rate Rubin House with a 2.

It is only fair that I point out that we arrived there quite late in the evening, the restaurant had clearly served lots of guests throughout the day and the kitchens were soon to be closed for the night. Only a dozen or so other diners remained at the time of our visit. I scrutinized the menu and saw one dish that really caught my eye: Shrimps Flambé cu Sos de Chilli / Flambéed Shrimps in Chilli Sauce. I decided to splash out the 35 Lei (7 GBP / 14 USD) for a dish that I was sure I would enjoy. The waitress took our order and disappeared into the kitchen. A few minutes later she returned to say that it would not be possible for the chef to cook the shrimps at this late hour, but suggested a few other dishes that I might like to try…and that the chef would presumably be willing to cook!

I took another look at the menu and opted for:

Coaste de Porc cu Sos BBQ / Pork Ribs with BBQ Sauce - Price: 21.70 Lei / 4.50 GBP / 9 USD

A handful of pork ribs, served with a baked potato (topped with sour cream and bacon bits), fried onions and assorted green vegetables.

In truth, it was a real disappointment. The meat on the ribs was poor – too much fat, and very hard to chew. Where the meat wasn’t so fatty, it looked undercooked. It was difficult to find any meat that was worth attempting to eat. I picked at it for a while, but left the majority of it.

The accompanying baked potato was overcooked, and the only part of the meal that I enjoyed was the fried onions and vegetables which were very tasty.

A couple of bottles of Ursus beer - Price: 5 Lei / 1 GBP / 2 USD per 500ml bottle

A large restaurant with an extensive choice of dishes and a spacious and welcoming dining room. My meal was pretty poor – but perhaps I was there at the wrong time.

Rubin House Restaurant, Bucharest Rubin House Restaurant, Bucharest Rubin House Restaurant interior BBQ ribs and baked potato at Rubin House Ursus beer at Rubin House

Haveli Indian Restaurant: Excellent Indian food in Bucharest

by SWFC_Fan Written May 5, 2008

My friend and I ate at Haveli Indian Restaurant one evening during a visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This excellent Indian restaurant is located on Strada Episcopul Radu, just off Strada Mihai Eminescu, a short distance north east of the city centre.

Not for the only time during our stay in the Romanian capital, we had trouble finding this place. The restaurant was recommended in our guidebook, so we showed the advert to a taxi driver and asked him to take us there. Armed with a photo of the restaurant and an address, we thought it would be easy enough to find – how wrong we were! It became evident that the driver didn’t know where we were going when he kept turning to us, shrugging his shoulders and saying “Eminescu, Eminescu, Strada, Eminescu…?”. At one point he pulled up hopefully outside a Chinese restaurant and asked us if that was the place we were looking for; it clearly wasn’t! After another 10 minutes, the driver decided to ask for help. He pulled into a side street and jogged off down the road to find somebody who might be able to direct him. We eventually stumbled across Haveli, and the beaming, satisfied smile of the driver made it all worthwhile.

Inside the restaurant, a couple of friendly and attentive waiters (smartly dressed in dinner suits, waistcoats and bowties) guided us into one of the dining areas and passed us English-language menus.

A full online menu can be found on the restaurant’s website here: Haveli menu

Starters include poppadums, samosas and onion bhajis, as well as chicken and mixed grill options. There are also salads and a range of Indian naan breads to accompany your main meal.

The main courses consist mainly of curries, predominantly chicken, lamb, seafood and vegetarian options. All of the chicken and lamb curries (tikka, jalfrezi, vindaloo, madras, mango spicy, korma, rogan josh…) are priced at 29 Lei (approx. 6 GBP), while the vegetarian options are priced between 15 and 20 Lei (approx. 3 -4 GBP). Simple rice portions are priced at 10 – 11 Lei (approx. 2 GBP), while biryani dishes cost around 29 Lei (6 GBP).

Vegetable Samosas - Cost: 11 Lei / 2.20 GBP

Two flaky pastry triangles, tightly packed with peas, potato and various other vegetables and spices. Served with a couple of dips (a spicy mango chutney and a mint flavoured dip) and onions.

Mango Spicy Chicken - Cost: 29 Lei / 6 GBP

The waiter asked whether I’d like it mild, medium or spicy. I asked for it to be “quite spicy”, and that’s exactly what it was. The tasty mango sauce had quite a kick to it, but it wasn’t overbearing. The chicken was very good quality and overall I was very satisfied with my meal.

Basmati rice - Cost: 10 Lei / 2 GBP

A dish of white rice to accompany the curry.

2 x mango lassis - Cost: 6 Lei / 1.20 GBP per glass

The cool, smooth lassis were the perfect accompaniment to a hot curry. These sweet yoghurt drinks (I opted for “sweet” rather than “sour” when the waiter asked) work wonders in ensuring that your mouth doesn’t get too hot from all the spices.

Excellent Indian food and friendly, attentive service. Highly recommended!

Haveli Indian Restaurant, Bucharest Entrance to Haveli Indian Restaurant, Bucharest Interior at Haveli Indian Restaurant, Bucharest Vegetable samosas at Haveli Indian Restaurant Mango spicy chicken at Haveli Indian Restaurant

• ardelean's Profile Photo

Burebista Pescaresc: Seafood Pleasure

by ardelean Updated Mar 24, 2009

Unfortunately the restaurant has closed and has been replaced by a casino full of slot machines - such is progress in Bucharest.

This restaurant specialises in sea food and does it well. It was deserted one Saturday evening, which meant that we were served well and fast. The phone number given in most guides and directories is 021 318 14 92, which connects to the office, which is empty at the weekend and in the evenings! However try the number below and you should be more successful.

Choose your dish with care and you can eat for Euro 10, including wine. Pick the wrong items and it could cost you Euro 30 or more, which is still cheap for the quality.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the hot starter of Romanian meat. I know that it's not fish, but it was tasty and filling.

• Business Travel

Sheriff's: Fast food near Piata Unirii

by SWFC_Fan Updated May 5, 2008

My friend and I visited Sheriff’s for a quick bite to eat one lunch time during our visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This large fast food restaurant, similar to its more famous American counterparts in terms of décor and food options, is located on Bulevardul Ion Bratianu, a short walk north of Piata Unirii. It looks very much like a typical fast food chain, but as far as I can tell there is only one branch in Bucharest. Sheriff’s occupies the entire ground floor of a long block of apartments and adds some much needed colour (with its yellow signs, blue and red logos and a large Sheriff character) to an otherwise grim and faceless residential building.

The menu features a selection of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, bacon burgers, pieces of fried chicken, breakfast items (eg. egg and bacon muffins), fries, salads, soft drinks and hot beverages. At another counter, you can choose from half a dozen different pizzas. Just like McDonalds, KFC, Burger King and the like, there are a selection of “value meals” featuring a burger, side dishes, a drink and a dessert.

A sign above the door makes the rather ambitious (and, in my opinion, completely unsubstantiated) claim to offer the “Best Food in Town”.

Medium sized Hawaiian pizza - Cost: 18.50 Lei / 3.70 GBP

A decent sized deep pan pizza, topped with cheese, pineapple, banana, mushrooms and olives. Note the interesting substitution of banana for ham compared with the Hawaiian pizzas we get in the UK. Despite the lack of meat, it was a good pizza and was plenty big enough to fill a hole without the need for any accompaniments.

My friend opted for half a dozen pieces of fried chicken and wasn’t as impressed with his meal as I was with mine.

Large Sprite - Cost: 4 Lei / 0.80 GBP

Typical fast food meals, a short walk from Piata Unirii.

Sheriff's fast food, Bucharest Sheriff's: Best Food in Town? Sheriff's fast food, Bucharest Sheriff's fast food, Bucharest Hawaiian pizza at Sheriff's, Bucharest

• littlebush's Profile Photo

City Grill: City Grill

by littlebush Written Jun 17, 2012

This place was recommended in the LP and its worth it.
    It was very busy on a Weds lunctime when we were there, always a good sign.
    We had 2 main meals for 50 Lei (£8.50) which was pretty decent.

Plenty of 'fast food' places doing cheap kebaby type food, around 7 Lei for a kebab (£1.40)

• WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

Restaurant Burebista Traditional: A must! Great game and traditional local food!

by WanderingFinn Updated Aug 5, 2007

The restaurant is nicely decorated, in a traditional and hunter's style. On the chairs of the patio there are skins of wild animals and the patio is made of wood.

The inside part is also cosy; red-and-white table clothes and wooden interior is very traditional looking.

Favorite Dish: I tried the grilled goose liver - it was heavenly soft! I will never forget it. (It is sold per 100g; and 100g cost appr. 9 euros).

My husband took (wild) boar and enjoyed it a lot.

There was also bear in the menu!

On Burebista's patio (it was so warm...) A head of a (wild) boar The wild boar portion - only 9 euros! It was BIG!

1000 de chipuri: the First Winebar in Bucharest

by Delia_Madalina Updated Jul 4, 2011

1000 chipuri (1000 faces): 500 wines - 150 out of which can be bought by the glass - from 20 countries. The numbers are impressive especially for a beginner in this area like me. Situated very close to Piata Unirii, this intimate 3-level winebar was opened at the end of 2010 and is a perfect location for the conaisseurs as well as for an enjoyable evening with friends.

This palce is trying to be an arts-friendly bar and it regularly hosts exhibitions and cultural events.

Obviously, they also serve cheese and charcuterie.

Opened daily: 10 AM - 11:30 PM

Latest: Jun 25, 2014
Howard Johnson Grand Plaza Bucharest
Latest: Jun 18, 2014

Instant Answers: Bucharest

Comments

Bucharest Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Bucharest locals.
Map of Bucharest