Fashionable/Top end, Moscow

Know about this? Rate It!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Todase Sushi Bar: Where One Beer Became Four!

by johngayton Updated Nov 29, 2014

After an absolutely fascinating afternoon at the Museum of the Great Patriotic War I was headed for the Museum of Modern Art to complete my exposure to culture for the day - this, despite one of my Russian friends warning me that MoMA is definitely "Ni-Kulturny"!

Checking my map it seemed the easiest Metro would be Pushkinskaya, and being late afternoon, that seemed an ideal spot to search out a suitable bar, which is how I came across Todase.

This is a cavernous, trendy, industrial-chic, sort of place and not usually the sort of bar I'd choose but I was thirsty, and I was there. The terrace overlooking the street was absolutely packed and so I ended up being shown to an inside table by the meeter-and-greeter stationed by the entrance. Perusing the menu, well the beer page, I found that the draught beer was considerably cheaper if bought by the litre, rather than 500 ml - 330 roubles for a litre, as opposed to 200 for the half and so I ordered a litre.

My server said something in Russian that I didn't catch as he took the menu back and went off with a sort of nod. He returned a minute or so later with a colleague who carefully explained in English that it was "Happy Hour" and that if ordered 1 litre I would get 2. She asked if I wanted to change my order.

HA! That was a bit of a no-brainer for me. 2 litres of beer for 330 roubles seemed like a deal-and-a-half and so I duly kept my order as was. The beers then arrived as 4 x 500ml glasses with the other serving checking that I was happy with the result.

Happy? I was in no rush. It was a Thursday and MoMA wasn't due to close until 21.00 anyway.

This turned out to be a pleasantly buzzy bar with a good mixed crowd of drinkers and diners obviously taking advantage of the cheap drinks and despite the non-smoking signs several were enjoying the house speciality hookah pipes.

Personally I just popped out front between beers for my ciggie breaks which gave me a chance to absorb the local street life, away from the tourist bits.

A very enjoyable hour or so!

• MrBill's Profile Photo

Fashionable/Top end: Safisa Palace

by MrBill Updated Nov 1, 2006

This place is perfect for large groups and big parties. Not really a dining spot for singles or couples. It could have been a casino in a former life? It is a faux palace along the lines of the Palace of Versailles and Louis XIV period. I will not say gauche, but let us say the interior design is a little over the top. Still if you're there to party, let the good times roll. The food was excellent and so much that the table was full before they even started serving. We were treated to some local Russian TV stars and entertainers that gave a good show. Lot's of glitz and glam. As they say, a good time was had by all.

do not stand under chandelier during earthquakes room for a few of my closest friends just the start of the buffet they aim to serve yes, may we help you?
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• Lunita's Profile Photo

The first: Glam in the city

by Lunita Written Sep 2, 2004

The first is a complex with a restaurant, bars and a disco.
    It is very nice and expensive, and it really worth the chance of enjoy that atmosphere.

Dress Code: I leart the expresion "face control" readin about this place and confirmed it there =)
    People was really nice dressed, modern and dressy.

Most ( Bridge )

by musbars Written Nov 14, 2003

Some of the night clubs are closed for average people. They have very strong "Face control". Guards will ask your invitation or club card if they will not like your face, clothes, style. Those clubs are more sofisticated.

Dress Code: Casual, sexy.

Club XIII

by musbars Written Nov 14, 2003

Dress Code: Sexy, casual.

Zeppelin

by musbars Written Nov 14, 2003

Dress Code: Stylish, hot, sexy.

Instant Answers: Moscow