One thing I really enjoyed in Moscow was a wander off the beaten track in the quiet lanes of the old Arbat region.
We followed a walking tour suggested in Lonely Planet, that started just off Ulista Arbat and it helped us to get a feel for how some of the nouveau riche inhabitants lived.
We saw some great old Art Nouveau homes, interesting tile work and sculptures. We also came across a very run down 18th century church, and a beautiful little church from the 17th century.
It was nice to get away from the tourists and traffic noise and gain a little insight into the old Moscow way of life for some of the wealthier inhabitants.
Nearest Metro: Arbatskaya
We came across the unusual looking House of Friendship with Peoples of Foreign Countries whilst we were walking from Red Square to the Arbat region
It looks like a ‘Moorish Castle’ and is painted white and covered in large seashells. Apparently the inside is equally bizarre, but is not often open to the public, except for the occasional exhibition.
It is an odd sight when you see it on the busy roadside.
Ul Vozdvizkenka 16, Moscow
Nearest metro: Arbatskay
Final home and burial place (though the grave is not marked) of Andrei Rublyov, the fortified Andrinikov Monastery was built in 1360, high above the Yauza River, one of a ring of such monasteries that formed part of the defense of Moscow in mediaeval times
No longer housing a religious community - following the Revolution the monastery was used first as a prison and then as a hostel for workers from the Hammer and Sickle factory nearby - the monastery buildings are put to use as a museum - one displaying icons, some dating back as far as the 14th Century (though nothing by Rublyov himself is here) and the other, other religious artifacts - including bronze crosses and reliquaries from as early as the 6th Century, mediaeval goblets, vestments and a lovely collection of painted wooden crosses.
The little Saviour's Cathedral in the centre of the complex is the oldest stone building in Moscow, built in 1427. It is once again a functioning church but the 17th Century Church of the Archangel Michael is part of the museum.
Plashchad Ilyicha is the nearest metro station.
Novodevichy Cemetery is where the celebrities of Russia are buried. Here you find the tombs of Khrushchev, Chekhov, Gogol and other prominent persons. Most tombs have eleborate marmor memorial stones.
Note the little bench in front of the grave. Russians come here to share some food & drinks with the deceased.
Temple of Trinity in Listy.
It was constructed in 1651-1661
A cemetery church on this place was mentioned in 1635. In 1651-1667 streletses - soldiers of regular Russian army - were lodged here. They constructed on a place of wooden church a stone temple. For participation in suppression of cossacks revolt and Yemelyan Pugachev's capture, tsar Alexey Mihailovich welcomed to them a brick on construction of a temple, images and church utensils. After the campaign (1677-1678) which defined an outcome of Russian- Turkish war, a throne of Cover of the Virgin was erected. It was consecrated in 1680. After the Azov campaign a belltower was constructed .
The name " Listy - in Sheets " was given on basten pictures which were made by printers living close. They sold pictures near the church, hanging them out on a fencing.
A fire happened In 1689 in church. Therefore the temple suffered - its chapter bursted. Streletses participated in capture of rebel Feodor Shaklovity, for what young tsar Peter Alekseevich gave them money for repair of church.
The history of region Lublino takes the beginning from times False-Dmitry, which with mutinous polish soldiers and adjoined to him Kazaks went on Moscow just through these grounds. Under the legends, after a campaign Kazaks master under housing accommodation wild fields and woods.
Already in XVIII century here placed completely not a small country Lublino, which belonged to prince Prozorovsky. Soon he sold it to a real councilor of state Nikolay Durasov, constructing a Palace, named now on a name of the host - Durasov-Palace. On the architecture it was beautiful, convenient, comfortable facility constructed by the architect Egotov. The general Durasov has erected the Palace in the manor in commemoration to him by sovereign of a star Sacred Ann.
Nikolay in Zvonary (at Bell-ringers) Ortodox Church.
Zvonary - Bell-Ringers of Moscow Cathedrals and Churches lived on Rozhdestvenka street since 1505. They constructed the first Church in the name of Nikolay Bozhedomsky that is known from 1619.
General Vorontsov, who had a Palace on Rozhdestvenka, constructed new church in baroque style in 1762. This building of architect Karl Blank we can see nowadays.
10 minutes walk from the Red Square.
The icons painted by Andrei Rublyov (c.1370-1430)are immediately recognizable for the grace with which they are imbued. They seem to glow with an inner spirituality that is both touching and immensely appealing. No other painter of icons comes near him for the way his work transcends the strict rules within which icon painters must work. There are countless icons painted by other artists that to all intents and purposes depict exactly the same image - that is the way of icons, they are not painted in the Western tradition of an artist's work being a expression of his individuality, the icon painter works to manifest the glory of God, not to express his own ideas and ego, but none are regarded as highly as Rublyov's work.
Little is known of Rublyov's life apart from that he was a monk at the Andronikov Monastery, that he was a follower of St Sergius who led the spiritual and political revival of the 14th century that saw the yoke of Mongol oppression removed from Russia, and that he worked with the other great icon painter of the time, Theophanes the Greek, on the Annunciation cathedral.
Rublyov was declared a saint of the Russian Orthodox Church in 1989.
A modern statue stands as a monument to him in the small park outside the monastery, where he is known to be buried in an unmarked grave somewhere within the walls.
Church of Ascension at Nikitskie gate (the Big Ascension). 1827-1848.
The wooden temple at this place for the first time is mentioned in 1619, per 1685-89 it was replaced by a stone temple, put with support of tsarina Natalia Kirillovna Naryshkina, mother of the future emperor Peter I.
Nowadays the existing temple was conceived as a cathedral of the Preobrazhenskiy shelf. Prince G.A.Potemkin - Taurian. It appeared, that a base of an old church of Ascension was insufficiently strong for erection of the conceived big temple. Then G.A.Potyomkin decided to construct a new temple and gave his court yard which was situated near the church.
In 1830 O.I.Bove added Shestakov's project with powerful porticoes on northern and southern facades to make a temple more majestic and similar to a cathedral of the Preobrazhenskiy shelf in Petersburg.
A.S.Pushkin and N.N.Goncharova - Goncharovs got married in 1831 at the church which was not still finished . Goncharovs lived on B.Nikitskoj, in ward of this church.
In the center of our megacity, on a quay of Moscow-river, the miracle ancient chambers is kept. Today it is the unique sample of old russian manor of XVII -th century. The history of this Moscow masterpiece is closely bound with destiny and culture of Russian people.
It was constructed in 1657. It form a uniform architectural ensemble together with stone church of Nikola on the quey .
In XV - XVII centuries the territory of today's Bersenevskaja quay was occupied by court yard of gardeners and it carried the name of "the Top garden village". The name of all quarter went from a gooseberry which was grown there, in an ancient way - Bersen. Averky Kirillov entered into domestic history not so much as "a state grade". He constructed a stone chambers and a church, that contemporaries caused admiration then. In fact Moscow only passed to a stone, the majority of structures in the city were still wooden. However, during strelets's revolt of 1682 muscovites did not forgive the clerk "great bribes" and killed him. But the glory of architectural constructions has remained to live.
Danilovsky monastery hosts the headquarters of the Russian Orthodox Church. It was built in the 13th century as an outer city defence, but has been altered several times over the centuries. During the Soviet period it served as a factory and a detention camp. It was restored during the Perestroika era and since 1988 it's the residence of the Patriarch.
There are several churches on the compound, the oldest being the Church of the Holy Fathers of the Seven Ecumenical Councils which was founded in the 17th century.
The Monastery is open daily from 7am to 7pm, admission is free.
Sergiy Radoneghskiy's Temple in Krapivniky. The church is known from the end of XVI century. 1676 - it was constructed in stone.
Hardly below a place where there was a church, the aperture for the river Neglinnoj, on thickness of a wall was made in a wall of White city . It referred as the Pipe, from here and the place around referred as the Pipe, from here and the name of church - " that on the Pipe ". It had and the address " in Krapivky " - under the name of district. But more often there is a name " on the Pipe ".
Krapivensky pereulok, 4
Moscow - Sergiy Radoneghskiy's Temple in Krapivnik
The house was constructed for Arseny Morozov who was a rich merchant in the middle of 1890th by architect V.A.Mazyrinym (Vozdvizhenka, 16). He constructed a magnificent building in pseudo-moorish style, with lacy attic and a lattice of a balcony, a mighty portal of an entrance and the walls covered by bowls.
The building excited among muscovites a lot of senses, having received an ironical nickname "the Spanish farmstead". The owner loved symbolics: the entrance in a building has the form of the horseshoe ostensibly bringing happiness, ropes on a facade, strapped in strong units, served a sign of success.
Twisted columns of a front entrance are cut out from the whole blocks of sandstones. The house is reveted by limestone, lattices of towers and a balcony are executed from as well.
In 1883 the ground in Krapivensky pereulok was transferred to Konstantinopol's farmstead - to a representation of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Russia.
In 1920 the church was closed, the farmstead was liquidated. A campanile was broken up to the second circle. The building of Konstantinopol's farmstead still located behind of a temple is kept.
Krapivensky pereulok, 1
Church in the name of Immaculate conception of God Mother, Polish.
In 1894 the decision to construct for the Moscow Poles one more Catholic temple was accepted. It was the third Catholic Temple in Moscow.
It is necessary to notice, that to the end of XIX century a number of Poles in Moscow has reached 30 thousand person.
The project of a temple was developed by the known Moscow architect, the Pole by origin, Foma (Thomash) Bogdanovich-Dvorghetsky, the teacher of the Moscow school of painting, sculpturing and architecture. The building was designed in Gothic style. As some researchers confirm, the sample for the main (east) facade became a facade of the Cathedral in Westminster, and the unusual many-sided dome topped by a high spike, was similar with a dome of the well-known cathedral in Milan.
Malaja Gruzinskaja, 27
I stayed in the Moscow Metropol for two weeks in Sept. 2008. Bad: The Internet access is terrible....more
The Radisson Royal Hotel is a 5-star hotel. There isn't much walking distance to the hotel and it is...more
The hotel has a great location, all the central attractions are very close. But the hotel is not...more