McDonald's, Moscow

by alyf1961
  • Muscovite's Profile Photo

Café chains: International: McDonald's

by Muscovite Updated Apr 18, 2014

What I like about international chains is that I know what to expect, and it is twice right about the good old McDonald’s.

Not that I suggest doing fast-food on a daily basis, but when I am tired and pressed for the time (for a tourist-on-foot both things happen very often) I like then to be spared a fancy menu choice, to get the proven food that won’t kill me – not immediately, that is, to find the bathroom in its usual place and not to have to bring my own toilet tissue with me, and to see Wi-Fi sign at the entrance. Much as I don’t appreciate globalization, I must give it to the big ‘M’ – their value-for-money doesn’t have many rivals.

The drawback, and a huge one, is that the chain is very popular, and not for the reasons mentioned, just the opposite, not to be left in peace and relax, that is, but for a very noisy socializing. The other day when I came into the ‘Youth palace’ McCafé for a quiet cappuccino, there were crowds of beaming and screaming teenagers all over the place. There are quite a few other cafés there, McDonalds is the least expensive – and the most crowded!

Another thing I don’t particularly appreciate, related to the one above, is aggressive music. It’s widely known that restaurants in Russia see it as their duty to entertain the public, but sometimes they go way too far, I think. How one is supposed to make use of their signature Internet connection with a loudspeaker bumping into one’s ear, I really don’t know.

Favorite Dish: On the average, I would choose McDonald’s over any other International eatery in Moscow.

Especially their McCafé: they brew good coffee and serve it in decent cups – not some trashy disposables, like Starbucks around the corner!

• Singles
    • School Holidays

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

Café chains: International: McCafé

by Muscovite Updated Apr 18, 2014

McCafé is part of the big McDonalds, but they surely deserve a tip of their own.
    Imagine: I am heading to my doctor for another surgery – that’s enough to make one feel pretty nasty. On top of that it’s not yet 7 in the morning, the metro is already quite crowded (I do not know if there is any hour these days that is not a rush hour). I must get some breakfast, because who knows when I see any eatery again – and if. Moreover, it has to be perfectly safe – nothing to disturb your stomach while your surgeon stands over you with his lancets, and nothing to catch a flue afterwards. In short, it has to be safe, quick (you do not miss a date like this) and pleasant.
    And all that the good folks at McCafé did provide!
    It was my luck that they open at 7 a..m. now – it used to be 7.30.

Favorite Dish: No queue, a selection of green teas to calm your nerves (I don’t know, Maybe your nerves do not require calming, but mine will soon go amok with four surgeries in six months, and the rouble sliding 25%!). Mind you, it’s loose tea, and they serve it in a tea-pot. Plus decent cutlery for your fresh and warm sandwish.

And on top of that – the morning paper! No such nonsense as look up your own tablet for your own new; no, good old newspaper to your table. And in English, by the way.
    Yes, they have positively made my day.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

McDonalds: I'M LOVIN IT

by alyf1961 Updated Apr 3, 2011

The best thing about Mcdonalds is that the food is the same all over the world, you know what you want before you go in and you can just point to the pictures on the menu to get exactly what you want.
    The bread elsewhere in Russia was very dry but in McDonalds it was what I am used to at home.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Thank God there everywhere

by jlanza29 Updated Nov 8, 2010

Thank God there everywhere in the world

I must say, I'm not big fan of McDonald's, but when your in a city that is tough to navigate, and hard to figure out. McDonald's is a God send. At least in McDonald's they have a cut out with pictures with English translation and all you have to do is point. Thank God numbers are universal and all you have to do is read the register and pay. And yes the fries taste the same as in the states, but at least your eating familiar food.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Just like Home!

by american_tourister Written Feb 8, 2005
    Mickey D

If you want it fast, inexpensive, and tasting like something you are familiar with then this is the place to go. It was our refuge away from tedious 2 hour lunches in normal restaurants. Even if the order taker does not speak English you just point at the sign and show your fingers for how many you want.

There was one instance of note. Like other Russian places no one really paid attention to the lines. People pushed their way to the front and the order taker took an order from whomever managed to get up front. I got pi$$ed off at this and decided to take matters in my own hands. I made a guy stay back behind me and not come around. I got everyone in our line to get in a straight line and wait. This was a very unwelcome intrusion to the men in the crowd but the women and children appreciated it.

Favorite Dish: Cheesburger Royale. It is Quarter Pounder with cheese. When we went out on day trips I would buy several of them and toss them in my back pack to take with me. No muss, no fuss.

• gussymons's Profile Photo

McDonald's: One McLenin, a vodka with borsch and two McStalins

by gussymons Written Jul 1, 2003
    Click. Look closely in background on the left

This sums up 21st century Russia. There are a few McD's dotted around Moscow, and this one is by Turgenevskaia. I'm sure your man Ivan would have enjoyed the haute cuisine of McD's back in the c19th.

Seriously, there is no such thing as a McLenin or McStalin, although you can get those cruddy t-shirts they sell outside Metro stations with Lenin and the Golden Arches.

Favorite Dish: Fries, burger in a bun. Need I say more?

• pretty33555's Profile Photo

McDonald's.....: no comments

by pretty33555 Updated Jun 22, 2003

I think that this house doesn't need any comments. MacDonalds is scattered all over Moscow. Everybody knows that this is the cheapest fastfood place, where you spend least money, but then gain maximum calories and kg-s.
    But nevertheles, if you are hungry to death and if you are not Rockfeller today all roads lead to MacDonalds...
    Here's my advice: People! never go to MacDonalds on Sokolniki metro station. You will be disappointed by careless attitude of staff and the food there has kinda tastless taste.

P.S. and nonetheless, judging by the state of toilets there, I can say that service has recently changed and not in the better way

Favorite Dish: I'm doing my 3d course at the uni and one of its building is situated in 10 min-s walk from Mac. Should I add anth more? :D

• OlafS's Profile Photo

McDonalds

by OlafS Updated Oct 22, 2002

Who would go all the way to Moscow and eat at McDonalds? Nobody I suppose. But as it seemed to be the only place with personel willing to serve the clients I had little choice back in 1993. The food was as good/bad as at any other McDonalds, but for Moscow standards the service was quite a relief. Mind you, this is 1993, and there's no doubt this has improved.

• heplion's Profile Photo

Well, not a recommendation but...

by heplion Written Aug 26, 2002

Well, not a recommendation but it is a noteable.

The largest McDonald's in the world is here...
    Hey, it's Mac's steakhouse, you've all eaten there at least once!

Favorite Dish: All the hometown 'favorites' from bigmacs to nuggets.

• Not exactly my favourite, but...

by anity Written Aug 25, 2002

Not exactly my favourite, but McDonald's written in cyrillic does look really funny! :-) The Russians will certainly try to convince you, that their fast food chain, Russkoye Bistro, that sells pastry type of things, is much better than McD. Try and decide for yourself.

• jeoren's Profile Photo

McDonald's: The 1st McDonalds of Russia

by jeoren Written Jul 4, 2005
    mc donalds moscow

The 1st McDonalds in Moscow is one to visit! It opened near the year 1990 and contains miniatures of buildings in London (The Tower Bridge) and Paris (Tour Eiffel)

• kittivitti's Profile Photo

McDonald's: McDonald's

by kittivitti Updated Aug 25, 2002

I think the McDonald's is the best eatery in the City. And prices are very inexpensive. First McDonald's in the country was open in Moscow at Tverskaya street on the 31st of January 1990.

• jtb2inky's Profile Photo

McDonalds: McDonalds

by jtb2inky Updated Aug 24, 2002

There is nothing unique about this McDonalds. But it is just so cool to see free enterprise at work in this city.

Instant Answers: Moscow