Ukranian Cuisine, Moscow

4 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews

Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta
    by HORSCHECK
  • Logo of the Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta
    Logo of the Restaurant Hatka Chervona...
    by HORSCHECK
    Good home-style cooking here
    by TheWanderingCamel
  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 19, 2010

We found the Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta listed in my "In Your Pocket" guide and decided to give it a try as the description sounded quite appealing to us.

The interior of the small Ukrainian restaurant is kept in a wooden homely style with a great love to colourful decoration elements from Ukrainian villages.

I highly recommend you to also visit the toilet, even though you don't need to go to the toilet.

The menu offers a wide mix of traditional dishes from Ukrainian, Russian and international cuisine.

For some reason the waiter told us that they had ran out of beer the evening before. This was due to the World Cup South Africa 2010 football qualifier match between Russia and Germany. Of course we were not too pleased to hear that. However, as we liked the place, we stayed and only had a light dinner.

I decided for a Solyanka soup, whereas my friends ordered different kinds of Borscht soups. Besides some soft drinks we also ordered a Hrenovuha, which is a special Ukrainian vodka with horseradish and honey.

All in all we liked the restaurant, although we probably visited it on the wrong day and therefore were a bit unlucky. Nevertheless, I would return to the place and give it a second try.

Directions:
    The Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta is located south-east of Moscow's city centre. The nearest metro stop is "Proletarskaya" on the pink line. I must admit that we had problems to find the place, so that I had to ask some locals for directions. This was a good way to practise my basic Russian language skills.

Address: Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta, 3-ya Krutitskyi per. 2, Moscow

Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta Logo of the Restaurant Hatka Chervona Ruta
    • Trains

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Taras Bulba: Cooking just like Babushka's

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Jul 9, 2005

Whilst the decor maybe a little kitch in its self-concious folksiness, the food in this chain of Ukrainian restaurants is very good. Hearty, home-style cooking with soups, salads, well-cooked main dishes and more stuffings for varenki (dumplings -sweet and savoury) than you can imagine.
    Servings are large, so don't get too carried away when ordering -you could end up with more food on the table than you bargained for!

Favorite Dish: Stuffed cabbage leaves just like Grandmother used to make, and sour cherry varenki to finish. Delicious.

leyle

Good home-style cooking here

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Ukranian Cuisine: Korchma "Taras Bulba"

by kris-t Updated Nov 19, 2011

Ukrainian symbols of the 19th century and national cuisine are revived in the restaurant. The interior is designed in the style of a Ukrainian peasant's hut. Waiters are dressed in national costumes.

In the restaurant there are two halls and two VIP-rooms for those, who prefer silence. Besides, there are tables for nonsmokers here.

On the menu - borsch and solyanka, "Svyatkovsky" salad, tomatoes in egg-plant with mayonnaise, Kiev-style pork, gorilka, etc. A wide choice of wines for ladies. The menu is presented in 18 languages, since foreigners are frequent guests here.

The express-menu consists of dishes cooked in 30-40 minutes.

It's better to reserve a table in advance.

Favorite Dish: noon till midnight

Credit Cards:
    Maestro, Visa Electron, Master Card, Visa

Comments to prices:
    Dinner for two, excluding alcohol - 600 rbl.

Korchma Korchma Korchma

• heplion's Profile Photo

Korchma: Great Ukranian Food

by heplion Written Nov 19, 2002

A good Ukranian resteraunt with a fun atmosphere. The menu's come in 19 different languages including English, Italian, French, Spanish, Japanese, etc.....But the few times I have been there I haven't noticed any other foreigners there.

Favorite Dish: Everything I have tried there was good.

• mayafly's Profile Photo

Taras Bulba Korchma: Kitschy but fun

by mayafly Written Jun 6, 2005

Korchma is a silly place, but lots of fun. The waiters and waitresses all dress in traditional Ukrainian folk costumes. Our waiter, Vlad, wore a straw hat, peasant blouse, and wide blue trousers. He flirted with us the whole time and brought us traditional wooden toys, on the house.

Open noon to 11 pm.

Favorite Dish: Everything was delicious...unfortunately, I can't remember what we all had, but I can tell you it was good.

Instant Answers: Moscow