What to buy?, Moscow

Know about this? Rate It!

• What to buy?
    by HORSCHECK
  • Canadienne's Profile Photo

Souvenir/Vodka Shops: Vodka with a Twist

by Canadienne Updated Oct 20, 2003

Don't take his drink away!

We bought our vodka (using up both import allowances) at a store on the first level of GUM. The prices may have been a bit higher there, but we didn't bother comparison shopping. We had to carry the bottles back safely, so distance was the deciding factor (the prices were still *very* good).

What to buy: One of my favourite purchases ~ this small wooden bear, perfectedly fitted around a taster-size bottle of vodka. He's almost too cute to bother emptying the bottle. . .but my friends disagreed.

What to pay: The bear and vodka cost about $5.

• Canadienne's Profile Photo

Matrioshkas: Russian Dolls

by Canadienne Updated Oct 20, 2003

My Matryoshkas at Home

Russian nesting dolls, or matryoshka, are quite possibly the most popular Russian souvenir. The first doll was created at one of the Abramtsevo workshops in 1890. You'll see them with themes of sports, politics, legends and historical scenes. . .and then the simpler female designs.

What to buy: I had held some thought, before the trip, of selecting a Matryoshka set with scenes of Russian fairy-tales or history on them. . .but the ones I liked cost more than I was willing to pay (some sets are $200 - $1000). . .so I adjusted my image to a more modest budget and found two beautiful sets, one of which is pictured here.

What to pay: This set was about $10-12.

• OlafS's Profile Photo

Cheap souvenirs

by OlafS Updated Nov 29, 2002

What to buy: People where selling lacquer boxes, small wooden, hand-painted boxes, just about everywhere near a tourist attraction. Prices differed extremely, and the cheap ones just had a stamp or a picture sticked on them. A thick coat of varnish made it look hand-painted. Neat huh? Who needs the expensive real thing when you can also have such a nice cheap souvenir ánd a story about how you were ripped off to tell to the folks at home?

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Matjoshkas

by tini58de Updated Sep 4, 2006

Matjoshkas

What to buy: Matjoshkas are little wooden dolls, that usually have a couple of more smaller dolls inside. They are very colorful and very typical!

• bobkey's Profile Photo

Myad Market: Russian Honey Shop

by bobkey Updated Aug 30, 2006

The largest honey shop you have ever seen with different types of honey from all over Russia

What to buy: Many bee keeping kits & materials / honey pots / bees wax candles.

• Irinna's Profile Photo

Bookshop 'Moskva': Picture Albums

by Irinna Written May 9, 2005

Tverskaya street

'Moskva' is a large but nice bookshop - one of the best in Moscow.
    You can find here picture and art albums, guidebooks, books in foreign (not-Russian) languages.
    And it's open until 1.00 at night.

• brmi's Profile Photo

Where to go?: GUM

by brmi Updated Feb 3, 2004
    Nice shoping centre

This is one big mall. It has three floors, and there are a lot of shops there. You can buy really expensive and famous stuff there.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

What to buy?: Are u sure?

by Sharrie Written Dec 19, 2003

What to buy: This is what I saw in one of the so called "souvenir store".

Amber jewellery.
    I don't fancy such stuff but I know some people would.
    So, here it is.

Are u sure u really wanna get this???

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Toy stores: Stuffed animals that sing in Russian

by Dabs Updated Sep 15, 2003

What to buy: This little fella was so cute that I kept him for myself. But we found many different ones that we brought home for the nieces and nephews.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Street markets: Wooden toys

by Dabs Updated Sep 14, 2003

Wooden toys

What to buy: These delighful toys feature bears and other animals and have moving parts when you swing the ball beneath the toy.

What to pay: I think we paid about $2-3 each (70-80 roubles)

Instant Answers: Moscow

Comments

Other Shopping in Moscow