The Cathedral of the Annunciation (Russian: Благовещенский собор, read: Blagoveschensky sobor) is a Russian Orthodox church dedicated to the Annunciation of the Theotokos. It is located on the southwest side of Cathedral Square. It was built in 1484-89 in the time of Ivan the Third.
The most characteristic feature of the building is its nine golden domes, and roof with rich kokoshnik ornamentation in an ogive form.
The main value of this cathedral has a large iconostasis, which includes icons of the 14th-17th centuries, including the ones painted by Andrei Rublev, St. Theophanes the Greek and Prokhor and many unknown painters. The fifth (lowest) row is pieced by a silver door, behind which is the old staircase to the Tsar’s personal chambers.
The magnificent Cathedral of the Annunciation is designed as a traditional Russian Orthodox church--topped with golden domes and is situated on the grounds of the Kremlin.
The interior of the Cathedral of the Annunciation is painted with beautiful frescoes first done by the Russian artist Feodosy in 1508, and the artwork on the iconostasis was first completed the same year. This iconostasis is considered to be the finest in all Russia. Sadly one is not permitted to take photographs of the inside of the cathedral.
Blagoveshchenskiy Sobor (Cathedral of Annunciation) is located on the Cathedral square inside the Kremlin. It used to be the "private" cathedral of the royal family and is connected with the Grand Kremlin Palace for easy access. It is beautifully and richly decorated, even the floor is lined with semi-precious stones! They were taken by Ivan IV from a cathedral in Rostov.
It was completed by Pskov master architects in 1489 on the foundations of an earlier cathedral. The cathedral is also famous for having many of its icons painted by Feofan Grek, one of the most famous medieval artists in Russia.
Standing in the south-west corner of Cathedral Square, the Annunciation Cathedral has a fantastic collection of domes and gables, many of which were added to the original late 15th century structure by Ivan the Terrible in the 16th century. For many years this was the private chapel of the tsars, used for family-centred celebrations such as weddings and christenings. Its iconostasis houses masterpieces by the greatest of Russia's mediaeval icon painters, Rublyov, and Theophanes the Greek.
Unusually, the religious frescoes on the walls are joined by images of the great Greek philosophers.
The Cathedral of the Annunciation (the Blagoveshchensky Cathedral) served as the house church of great Moscow princes and tsars.The Cathedral was built in 1484-89 by a team of buildersfrom Pskov as the court church of Grand Prince Ivan III. It was connected by a passage at the gallery level with the palace of the grand prince and laterwith the tsar's residence. The passage still leads from the gallery into the Great Kremlin Palace, which immediately adjoins the cathedral.
The Cathedral entered into a complex of palace buildings. Ceremonies of imperial weddings, christenings and a name-day took place there. The Cathedral is nine-domed. Domes and a roof are covered by the gilt sheets. In a cathedral murals of XIV century was kept. Special attention deserves an iconostasis.
The Cathedral of the Annunciation, with its nine gilded domes, is the smallest of the three main Kremlin cathedrals, but the decoration of the interior (in particular the frescoes and icons by Andrei Rublev and Feofan Grek) makesit one of the great treasures of Moscow.
The nine golden dome-topped Church of the Annunciation was the private church of the Russian Grand Dukes and Tsars. It was here that members of the ruling family were married, their newborn heirs to the throne baptized and their confessions heard. The cathedral is an incredible amalgamation of churches and chapels from the 14th to the 16th centuries and is the second oldest cathedral in the Kremlin. Originally, it had only three domes but Ivan the Terrible added six more domes and chapels at each corner. The cathedral's best treasure is the iconostasis which was the work of three of the best Russian medieval artists.
In this cathedral you can find the wonderful icons made by Teofane.
Originally Ivan III used this cathedral as family chapel and at that time the building had just three domes.
Later Ivan the terrible wanted the cathedral to be modified adding 6 domes, building chapels in any corner and spreading gold all over the roof.
It was erected as private chapel of the Tsar's family. Built in 1484-89 and then destroyed by a fire, it was rebuilt in 1547. Particularly beautiful are the 9 golden domes. The interiors are not to be missed! Of inestimable value are the frescos and the iconostasis.
It was first built of wood by Vasily I in 1397 and was rebuilt during the reign of Ivan III between 1484 and 1489 to serve as the royal family's private chapel.
This cathedral contains icons painted by Theophanes the Greek. Originally, the cathedral has just 3 domes and an open gallery round 3 sides.
Ivan the Terrible, whose taste was more elaborate, added six more domes and chapels at each corner, enclosed the gallery and giled the roof.
The small central part of the cathedral has a lovely jasper floor and several 16th century frescoes.
The interior of the Cathedral of the Annunciation is covered from floor to ceiling with frescoes dating from as early as 1508.
Its iconostasis, pictured here, is recognized as one of the most beautiful in the country. Andrey Rublev, the only icon painter I was familiar with before my trip, was one of three renowned artists who worked on this piece.
Unlike most of the other Kremlin churches, which were designed by Western Europeans, the Cathedral of the Annunciation was entirely designed and built by Russians. It was originally completed in 148, then substansially modified in 1572, in order to allow Ivan IV acccess to view church services, after he had been banned from the church following his fourth marriage.
the cathedral of the annunciation was commissioned by ivan III in 1484. it contains the royal chapel of the tsars and a fabulous collection of religious icons.
this is Blagoveshenskij sobor (Annunciation cathedral), with its 9 golden cupolas.
Inside there was the zar's chapel.