Kremlin - Cathedral of the Dormition, Moscow
The Patriarchal Cathedral of the Dormition of the Theotokos (Russian: Успенский Собор, read: Uspensky sobor) is a Russian Orthodox cathedral and it is dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos (Blessed Virgin Mary). It is located on north side of Cathedral Square.
The cathedral is 45 m high. It has three naves, five domes, the high and light hall without choir loft. In the basement there are windows. It build as the central church in the Moscow state in 15th century. The model for building was ancient cathedral of the Dormition of the Theotokos in Vladimir, former capital.
Inside, the church decoration is dominated by its fresco painting and it was made in 1626—27 by several Russian artists: D. Timopheev, F. Savin, T. Gavrilov, N. Istomin. One of the oldest is icon with the bust of Saint George dates from the 12th century. The iconostasis dates from 1547, but its two highest tiers are later additions from 1626 and 1653/1654 under Patriarch Nikon. Near the south entrance to the Cathedral is the Monomach Throne of Ivan IV build in 1551.
The entrance is free but it is not aloud to take a photos inside of Cathedral.
This is the largest and the most historic of the cathedrals in the Kremlin.
Here princes, grand princes and tsars were crowned by themetropolitan or patriarch; here metropolitans and patriarchs were enthroned and buried, and here many a chapter in the history of Moscow and of Russia began or was concluded.
From its completion in 1479 until the 17th century it provided an unmatchable model forall cathedral - building in Russia. The icon painters Dionisius, Timofey, Yarets and Konia painted the cathedral's iconostasis in 1481.The painting of the cathedral was completed in 1513-15. Of great artistic merit are the surviving murals dating from 1642-43.
The original iconostasis has not survived. It was replaced in 1652-53 by a new one.
The proclamation of acts of state (for example there unification of the Ukraine with Russia in 1654) were made in the Cathedral of the Dormition.
It was also the coronation church and the burial place of Moscow's metropolitans and patriarchs.
You'll probably notice the frescoes under the curved gables on the Dormition Cathedral as you walk down towards Cathedral Square. There is another beautiful fresco of the Virgin above the door once used for royal processions, though not for tourists, facing the square.
The church dates back to the late 1400s and before the Revolution, was the main church of Russian Orthodoxy. A long, and at times violent, history has left few marks on this lovely building and although today it serves as a museum rather than a church, it has been reconsecrated.
The interior is wonderfully frescoed and has some very beautiful icons, though it may be hard to get a good look at them through the crowds.
Thanks to Sergey for the correct name of this cathedral.
It is more generally, but mistakenly, known as the Assumption Cathedral.
The Orthodox Church has celebrated August 15 as the feast of the the Dormition of the Virgin since the 6th century. In her Dormition, the Virgin Mary is believed to have left her earthly life - not death, but sleep - after which her body rose to heaven to be re-united with her soul. The belief spread slowly to the west where, by the 13th century, it was known as the Assumption, to be celebrated on August 15 also. The Orthodox Church has never ceased to refer to this belief as the Dormition... there are differences of dogma versus liturgy here that are perhaps a liitle heavy for a site such as this!
In 1325-26, Pyotr, the Metropolitan of Kiev and all Russia, moved his seat from Vladimir to Moscow, the same year thatIvanI Kalita laid the foundation-stone of the Cathedral of the Dormition, Moscow's first stone church.The cathedral was consecrated on 4 August 1427.
In 1475-79, this church was replaced by a new Cathedral of the Dormition built by the Vologda architect Aristotle Fioravanti for Ivan III as astate church. This church has survived substantially in its original form (minor alterations to the facade were made after the 1547fire and other small alterations to the interior were made in the mid 17th century).
The Dormition (Falling Asleep or Death) of the Virgin, a festival celebrated by the Orthodox Church on the 15th of August,corresponds to the Roman Catholic festival of the Assumption, also celebrated on 15 August.
The Cathedral of the Dormition is, therefore, sometimes referred to - incorrectly - as the Cathedral of the Assumption.
The Cathedral of the Dormition is the most ancient temple of the Kremlin. It was constructed on a traditional place where wooden and stone temples were situated in an antiquity.
The Cathedral was built under the decree of Great Moscow prince Ivan III in 1479 by Italian architect and engineer Aristotel Fiorovanti. The architect repeated in the construction traditional forms of Russian temples (the prototype is in Vladimir).
Thus he created an original construction which became a new word in the development of Russian architecture. Weddings on an empire and crowning of emperors took place there.