By Airplane, Moscow

Know about this? Rate It!

by smirnofforiginal
    by elpariente
    by elpariente

Aeroexpress raises tariffs

by Muscovite Written Jan 14, 2015

Just read it in the news - Aeroexpress will have to raise its tariffs:

Standard one-way - 450 roubles
    'Child' - 130 roubles
    Return - 900 roubles
    'Family' - 950 roubles

That is roughly 2/3 of what I would pay for a taxi directly from my door to the airport.
    With the metro fare (negligible) and the metro steps (very high) I will now consider the taxi!

Note:
    The English site has not caught up yet, I guess, they are still having New Year holidays...

• Women's Travel

Transaero in a fix

by Muscovite Written Dec 21, 2014

Controversial news:
    In the morning heard over the radio that Transaero, the second largest and the first private Russian airline born with the perestroyka, is near bankrupcy and may go out of business already in January.
    Later in the day the airline denied the news.
    But as they say, there is no smoke without fire...

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Facilities at Domodedovo Airport

by johngayton Written Nov 30, 2014

I can't say I was impressed with the eating and drinking facilities here at Domodedovo. Despite the airport's website making a song and dance about all the different cafes, bars and restaurants available the few that I did find were mobbed and very expensive.

Outside the entrance are a row of wooden stalls which I thought might offer a cheaper alternative, and it was a pleasantly sunny lunchtime. But instead of these being small owner-run, places they seemed to be all much of a one-ness and instead of competing against each other all had pretty much the same offerings and prices.

I ended up with a pancake roll from one of them, which was tasty enough but at 350 roubles was certainly not cheap - I should have picked up a nibble, and a beer, from my local Produkti before I left!

• Beer Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Flying FROM Domodedovo Airport

by johngayton Written Nov 30, 2014

Personally I found Domodevodo quite a confusing airport to fly from. The departures area seems to be just a single, huge and very busy, terminal dealing with both international and domestic flights.

Instead of having separate terminals it has "sectors" and my boarding pass didn't have any mention of which sector I was supposed to be using. Fortunately I'd arrived with plenty of time to spare and eventually worked out that I needed sector A or B - sectors C and D are domestic and sector F is fast-track.

Once I'd worked out my sector I then had to work out which immigration control booths to use - as with arrivals these depend on nationality and I soon found the one marked EU. This is where you need to make sure you have the entrance slip issued at arrival and that your visa is within its date.

Security is very rigorous, involving one of these new body-sniffers, along with the normal x-ray machines for luggage etc., but well-staffed and efficient.

After that it was just a matter of the normal waiting for the gate to be announced and boarding.

• Photography

UTair - never again

by Muscovite Written Apr 8, 2014

I booked UTair flight about a month ago – now right before the trip they are telling me it’s cancelled.

Not moving an hour or so earlier or later, but cancelling the only flight they have that day altogether! Supposing one has a non-refundable hotel or apartment booking, what does one do?
    Or, better still, supposing one has a connection flight?
    Well, I never flied UTair before, and now I never will – good riddance, too.

• Work Abroad

Air traffic site

by Muscovite Written Apr 15, 2013

Just found a useful link:

'Flightradar24' is an Internet site that shows air traffic around the world, live or with 5 minutes' delay.
    Has an awfull lot of smartphone apps, too.
    Must be interesting for those meeting or seeing off friends / relatives, whoever. A colleague successfully tracked her husband all the way from Moscow to Los Angeles, hopes to have the same luck on his way back :)

• Travel with Pets

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

Moscow Sheremetyevo voted best in Europe!

by Muscovite Updated Mar 15, 2013

Guess what?
    Our main air hub, the well-known SVO is the best in Europe – according to Airports Council International annual survey.
    See
    Euronews

That’s two years after our no less famous Aeroflot had put into operation its own brand-new Terminal D. What used to be SVOI – for domestic flights and SVOII – for international routes is now one and the same airport with 5 terminals:
    Terminal A is reserved for VIP ‘business aviation’
    Former SVOI became terminal B, with the new terminal C built by its side
    Former SVOII is now terminal F, the new terminal E next to it and terminal D standing aside.

Having travelled quite a bit lately, I can say that there are some good points:
    • No longer does one have to queue for the passport control
    • Lots of baggage trolleys, and they are free
    • Aeroexpress train from / to the airport goes every half an hour; everyone who used to go by taxi or own car had switched to the more eco-friendly and traffic-safe train now
    • Travelling Aeroflot and partners, you can drop your luggage at any of 100+ booths, never seen a line to the registration desk there

A fly in the ointment is that you have to walk the airport corridors (or ride the speed track) for about a quarter of an hour between Aeroexpress platform and terminal D. this, however, can hardly compare to hiking the ups and downs of the Brussels airport!

Interior Outside view To the city train Map
    • Work Abroad

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Domodedovo Airport by taxi

by smirnofforiginal Written Sep 15, 2012

Domodedovo Airport is actually quite far out of Moscow.

To get from the airport to Moscow by taxi you MUST go to the official taxi stand in the airport grounds. DO NOT takl to anybody except the person BEHIND the desk. If a taxi driver approaches you whilst you are in the queue it is most likely he is a con man who will charge you 3 times the amount of an official taxi.

To get from Moscow to the aiport I would recommend getting your hotel to order you a taxi. We told the receptionist that we wanted to book one that gave us 2 hours to get to the airport. The taxi driver said no we should alow 2.5 hours at that time of day. He was right!

• elpariente's Profile Photo

Siberia Airlines

by elpariente Written Aug 27, 2012

Este es para mi uno de los misterios de las tarifas aéreas . Volábamos de vuelta a Madrid y queríamos viajar con Iberia pero los precios eran inalcanzables , así que seguimos buscando y encontramos los mismos billetes de Iberia a mitad de precio en una ruta compartida que tiene con Siberia Airlines
    Los vuelos de Iberia salen de la terminal de Domodedovo
    Para llegar al aeropuerto , fuimos a la estación de Paveletsky, donde tomamos un tren expreso al aeropuerto , que cuesta 320 Rb y tarda 45 minutos

This is for me one of the mysteries of air fares. We flew back to Madrid and we wanted to travel with Iberia but prices were unaffordable, so we kept looking and found the same Iberia tickets at half price on a route that is shared with Siberian Airlines
    Iberia flights depart from Domodedovo terminal
    To get to the airport, we went by Metro to Paveletsky station, where we took an express train to the airport, which costs 320 Rb and takes 45 minutes

Perpetuum mobile Aeroflot

by Muscovite Written Feb 17, 2012

Just heard on the radio:
    No flights from Frankfurt am Main, airport personnel on strike.

The thought struck me – excuse the pun – when did I hear last about a Moscow airport, airline or any related personnel starting an industrial action?
    I’ll tell you: it was twenty years ago, after the market economy made a glorious entry into this country. I was trying to make both ends meet by private English lessons, and two flight operators happened to be my students. Though much more affluent then I was, or will ever be, they used to be on strike quite often - mostly at school vacations. Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not as caustic as I seem; in fact, French railway strikes always coincide with – but hardly are limited to - Festival de Cannes.

Well, time goes by. Whatever the circumstances, our national carrier Aeroflot keeps going, and so do Russian railways, not to speak of the Moscow metro.
    And please don’t misunderstand me again, I am not saying this is good or bad. Just stating the fact.

Imported from airline's site

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Flying in from Cologne

by vichatherly Updated Apr 4, 2011

We drove from England to Cologne, Germany and took a "German Wings" direct flight into Vnukovo airport (VKO), 30km southwest of the city centre. We then took a minibus to the nearest metro station, Typly Stan on the orange line 6, and took the metro from there into the city centre.

Moscow Metro Escalator

• MrBill's Profile Photo

Sheremetyevo II Airport & Aeroflot

by MrBill Updated Apr 4, 2011

The cheapest flights to and from Moscow are inevitably on Aeroflot. This is because other airlines have to pay more for landing rights than Aeroflot does. Therefore, I tend to find that their prices are usually at least $100 cheaper than comparable flights on other airlines.

The downsides to flying Aeroflot are many. Their own poor service during the flight and at check-in; accompanied by snarly employees and indifference to customer service; and their annoying habit of cancelling or delaying flights without proper warning or reasonable explanation.

Also, Aeroflot flies in and out of Sheremetyevo II airport, which is owned by the city of Moscow, and leased out to a private operator. They have spent very little money upgrading this airport since it was built for the Olympic games in 1980.

The traffic to and from Sheremetyevo along Lenningradsky can be horrendous. You should give yourself no less than 3-hours to get from downtown, check-in, and to clear customs. Even this may at times be cutting it close if you get stuck in rush hour traffic.

I usually leave really early, so I do not have this stress. Then once I get to the airport, I check to make sure the flight has not been cancelled. Then if I have enough time, I go up to the 5-Oceans dining room on 5th-floor. This is a nice quiet place to sit and relax and watch the planes land and take-off, or to get some work done. The food is decent and less expensive than in the Arrival and Departure concourses.

I usually have something to eat there, so when I get on board, I do not have to eat the pre-packaged meal, which is nothing to write home about. And, then I can sleep, which makes the crowded journey in economy class more bearable.

I am hoping that Aeroflot will purchase or lease more Boeings and Airbuses to replace their aging TU154s. However, as the government is a part owner of Aeroflot, they would like them to buy domestically to stimulate the local aircraft market. Aeroflot has just ordered 6-new IL-96s, which are supposed to offer more room.

High Tech - if we can get it outta the snow bank

• ratherton's Profile Photo

Domodedovo (DMO) Airport

by ratherton Updated Apr 4, 2011

Domodedovo Airport was given International Airport statuts in 1992 and although is further away from Moscow than Shremetyvo, it is a more modern airport. It is located to the South East of Moscow.

I've only flown into this airport once so I can't really say much about it except that the passport control was a lot more efficient than at Sheremetyvo.

While most international flights still go into Sheremetyvo (North West Moscow), destinations from Domododevo included: Alicante, London Heathrow, Zurich, Istanbul, Berlin, Cairo, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hanoi and Hong Kong

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Domodedovo

by kris-t Written Dec 20, 2010

Moscow Domodedovo Airport is Russia's largest airport in terms of passenger traffic.
    Currently 77 airlines offer regular flights to Domodedovo, including 36 foreign, 29 Russian and 12 air carriers from CIS countries.

Moscow Domodedovo Airport is easily accessible at any time of the day. The airport complex is connected with Moscow by a modern speedway which enables our passengers to catch their flights on time using public transportation:

- from Domodedovskaya underground station (by bus or mini-bus). Timetable: from 06:00 to 00:00. Time of journey: 25-30 minutes. Departure time: every 15 minutes. ,

- from Paveletsky railway station (by train, the nearest underground station is Paveletskaya), Aeroexpress train (Time of journey: 40-50 minutes);

or taxi.

Domodedovo, Moscow Domodedovo, Moscow

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Sheremetyevo

by kris-t Updated Dec 19, 2010

Sheremetyevo is one of the biggest Moscow's international airports.

The IATA area code for Sheremetyevo.

Actually it stays in 29 km from Moscow. And time you can be in Moscow depend of traffic (usiall is bad... or very bad )

There is express train connection from Belorussky Rail Terminal to the Lobnya station, which is 7 km from the airport, with the remainder of the journey taken by bus or taxi.
    Tickets on the rail service cost 300 roubles (US$ 10.00) (500 roubles (US$ 16.00) for business class) and journeys take 35 minutes.

Sheremetyevo, Moscow Sheremetyevo, Moscow Sheremetyevo, Moscow