By Taxi, Car, Moscow

Know about this? Rate It!

Aeroflot planes at the background
  • By Taxi, Car
  • By Taxi, Car

Taxi go-to.ru

by Muscovite Updated Mar 23, 2015

I had been going with "go-to.ru " since 2003, they had always been very reliable and efficient, with confirmation by e-mail and receipts, clean cars, polite drivers - I won't be surprised if most of them are post graduates in nuclear physics.

But then everything changed.
    A cupple of years ago I was going to the airport and the taxi got stuck in a traffic jam for over 1 hour, just 10 minutes drive from my home! Not their fault, I guess, and the driver had been in contact with me all the time; and I did make it to the flight, as I booked the car 4 hours in advance – the normal time for Moscow was 3 hours even in good old Soviet times. Since then I switched to Aeroexpress train.

P.S.
    Trying them again next Sunday, will keep you informed :)
    Moscow - Airport - Moscow roundtrip speciall offer tariff is currently 2900 rubles, that's about $ 80.
    Not bad as such, but I really don't like this trend that whatever - like the driver, see above gets into a jam - happens it's the responsibility of the passenger. I am very lenient and understanding, but everything has a limit.
    The photo above - Sheremetyevo, terminal E

Aeroflot planes at the background
    • Women's Travel

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

High demands

by Odiseya Updated Dec 18, 2014

Moscow is high demanding and challenging for car drivers or if you come here by bus like my group did. After confusion in arriving near Kremlin and kind visit local policeman we manage to reach our goal without slowing others to do the same.
    We was pretty warned about Moscow street mostly about time you will spend in your car or bus.

• Globereisender's Profile Photo

English speaking taxi service

by Globereisender Written Jun 16, 2014

There are plenty of websites on the web offering airport transfers from all three Moscow airports to any location in the city center. Prices can differ also here enormously. LingoTaxi actually has fixed prices on its transfers and also normal for Moscow standards.

Also, special is that they have an actual complete English speaking service (dispatcher on the phone AND driver spoke perfect English) was Lingotaxi (http://lingotaxi.com) who had acceptable prices and were right on time when I landed in Vnukovo. They also offer other languages, for example French or Spanish speaking drivers without an extra fee.

LingoTaxi

Moscow Parking

by Muscovite Written Apr 9, 2014

Moscow Parking is not just a concept, it's a proper name.
    Our new taut efficient-looking mayor thinks Muscovites have had enough of chaotic parking, it' time to follow the best Western standards.
    For some reason these standards always mean more expenses, you pay for what used to be free.
    The city council hired savvy geeks to make a Russian/English site and develop all sorts of mibile apps.
    I specifically like that '5 kopeck' collage - these people surely have a sense of humor.

Civilised parking will cost 60 roubles/hour (that's next to my office, they say it may be more if you leave your limousine close to the Kremlin).
    As usual when it comes to drawing money, a variety of ways come handy - SMS, mobile apps, ATM
    The fine is 2500 roubles, and you will spend a about week checking all penalty parking-lots for your car.

Not that it makes any difference for me personally - I stick to our good old metro!

• Work Abroad

Taxi ‘Angel’

by Muscovite Written Jan 14, 2014

As many of you know, I’ve recently had an eye surgery and will have another in the nearest future. This is how I got to know Angel-Taxi – they called me one from the clinic, I would not be able to get home otherwise.
    I used them later on, and I am quite happy so far. The price is fixed to the distance, not the time – a crucial factor in Moscow traffic jams. The car appears 15 – 20 minutes after you call for it. The drivers are well-behaved and know their job. And so does the translator of their site – very unusual!

• Disabilities
    • Religious Travel

• Uncle Pasha of Moscow

by JoeBe Written Oct 20, 2011

Although his rate appeared high, I hired "Uncle Pasha" (www.moscowdrivers.net) for $80 and haven't regretted it.

For this price he saved me a bundle right away at the airport by cautioning me against converting my $US into Rubles at the airport.

On our way to the hotel he gave me an informal tour of Moscow and wrote out a few simple Russian phrases. He also did a review of places to eat good and cheap.

There is no way you will not get that sort of an all-around orientation from a taxi driver. He gave informative answers to LOTS of my questions. I may have paid $30 extra compared to regular taxi but saved $20 right away on not using the bank at teh airport with its ripoff rate. His advice that I don't use my mobile phone but get a local one instead and assistance with buying it probably saved me much more. I estimate I actually saved more than I paid him.

If you are looking for a recommendation for a taxi driver and if such is allowed here get "Uncle Pasha" to meet you. See www.moscowdrivers.net

Joe

Taxi to the airport

by Muscovite Written Jul 3, 2011

Taxis are no worse – or better, than any other service these days. They are not a no-profit NGO, they need to make money, and they are not interested in making the client happy, unless these two things are immediately connected. Market economy, what did you expect?
    By the way, comparing Moscow taxi drivers and the ones I had encountered in France – ours are infinitely more polite, reliable and generally accommodating.
    NB: I mean PROFESSIONAL taxi drivers, not any odd vehicle one may pick up in the street.

I used to go with this company (I already wrote a tip on them)
    As you can see, they have an English language site, but your friend will easily read Russian, too, I suppose. You get a confirmation by e-mail.
    I stopped using them – or ANY above-ground transportation, for that matter, because of traffic jams. But there won’t be any, if you go to the airport early in the morning or late at night.

Alternatively you may check into an airport hotel.

• Women's Travel

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

Gorodskoye taxi (City taxi)

by Muscovite Written May 3, 2011

I used their service twice, and both times it was very much OK.

There is one big minus for you, folks – Russian-language site only.
    But if you combine it with the Aeroexpress train on your way from the airport, you can – or may try to – get the girl at the information desk to use recall her school English or at worst use the sign language. You pay right there (don’t know if they take plastic cards, I rather doubt it), the girl gives you a receipt with the reference number.
    Another problem – she will ask you for your mobile phone number for the taxi service to confirm the order. How you will speak with the operator I do not know – this is not a VIP limousine service, you cannot expect them to speak foreign languages.
    If you successfully manage all that, the driver will be waiting for you at the railway station – as shown here on their site.

'Gorodskoye taxi'
    • Disabilities

• sennaya's Profile Photo

Rent an antique car

by sennaya Updated Apr 4, 2011

You can rent a car right out of Lomakov Museum of Antique Cars and Motorcycles! Dmitri rents them to help pay for the museum.

Admission to the museum is 100 rubles byappointment.

Imagine her thrill when you pull upin a 1969 ZAZ-965 for $35 an hour, 4-hour minimum

Krasnodarskya, vladenie 58. Moscow, Russia, 109559

Imagine her thrill! 1969 ZAZ-965
    • Museum Visits

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Taxi

by kris-t Written Dec 19, 2010

At all costs avoid...

Setting off in a taxi without agreeing the fare first. Official and rogue cabs are out to fleece tourists.
    Bargain hard, bearing in mind that most city centre journeys should cost less than 650 roubles (US $ 20).

• Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

• Avoiding Taxi transfers from the airport

by Nick_&_Alicia Written Aug 22, 2010

We took up a taxi transfer from our accomodation provider: Godzillas Hostel on our first arrival in to Moscow.

The transfer was the worst journey of our lives. The driver was incredibly unprofessional and we were deeply unhappy. This is not the kind of experience you want or need arriving in an intimidating city like Moscow for the first time.

It may be unfair for me to suggest all Taxi transfer services are bad; but the one Godzillas Hostel uses is shocking and they refused to change it after we raised a formal complaint (said the guy has a lot of 'character' ). I can tell you that many taxis are not going to have A/C, possibly no seat belts, and that the people of Moscow do drive fairly crazily so if you take any transfer you may share some of the discomfort we did.
    If you really must have a taxi perhaps speak to your travel agent or hotel about it before hand and cross check that the driver will be professional, also if it has A/C, seat belts, will the driver have the car ready at the airport to pick you up (or as in our case will he leave you standing outside the airport whilst he hitchikes to his car he's parked 15 mins walk away?!)

I'd suggest travellers don't be intimidated and do some research into taking the train in from the airport to the city, then using the metro to get to your hotel. We took the train to the airport on the way out of Moscow (via metros) and did fine.

Cheers
    Nick

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Lada Taxi in Moscow

by georeiser Updated Jul 5, 2009

The old russian car Lada is a rare sight nowadays. But the car is still operating as taxi in Russia. Look after a Lada taxi and have a memorable drive in Moscow. In a cold day you need a warm car. Lada has still the best heater system by all cars.

Moscow Taxis On the way to Moscow from the airport
    • Architecture
    • Adventure Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• AVKTRAVELLER's Profile Photo

Gipsy taxi from a local

by AVKTRAVELLER Updated Jun 6, 2009

Gipsy taxi.
    Yes, we have it and we will have it! You can “catch up” any car by raising your hand and it will not be obligatory “normal” taxi with checkers. Please keep in mind that regular taxi ride is usually more expensive, while the price for gipsy taxi is a matter of negotiations. Smart locals avoid to take regular taxi and prefer "gipsys". In both kind of taxis you can only pay by cash.
    It is the fastest way of transportation and you can reach absolutely any area you need.

Precautions: you always on your own in gipsy taxi because you deal just with private person, and neither government nor a company responsible for your life and safety!
    - Do not use gipsy taxi in nighttime, it may be dangerous!
    - Never take taxi if there more persons than one driver seat inside.
    - Try to choose ‘decent’ car: international brand, fresh look etc.
    - Always assess the driver’s person. If you don’t like his/her person, he looks suspicious, say that you changed your mind. If he/she looks smart and friendly, and especially speaks English it is a good choice.
    - Prepare some rubles for payment prior hailing taxi, and never expose your thick vallet to driver!
    - Pay only as you brought to your destination, and never before or in the middle of trip.
    - On busy routes your hailing hand will always stop a LINE of cars, and you will have something to select between or ignore some of them.

Gipsy taxi price guide, 2009
    How to negotiate price with gipsy driver. First of all try to estimate the distance with your map prior to hailing taxi.
    Price depends on distance and sometimes on road situation, route complexity and driver’s mood.
    - Minimal price 50 RUR (1,7 USD) for very short distance. 50 RUR is a corpuscular step for negotiations, when you bid 150 RUR, and driver asks 200 RUR etc.
    - 100 RUR is more common price for short jumps within couple of kilometers.
    - 3-5 km is 200 RUR or in range 150-250 RUR.
    - 5-10 km is a distance difficult for negotiations, and may vary between 250-500 RUR.

Use this guide and do not allow to cheat you just because you are foreigner!

• Ihtiandra's Profile Photo

Hiring a car/ finding a guide

by Ihtiandra Written Jul 4, 2008

There are usually a lot of taxis/ private cars waiting for tourists at every Moscow airport, and their drivers usually speak English, if it is international airport. You can ask them if they would be interested to do this. I am sure, someone will.
    We did the same thing in Thailand. If you'd call to a Moscow's taxi company, they might not speak English. About a quide, there are plenty travel agencies, I recommend Intourist agency, this is the oldest one: http://www.intourist.com/ENG/MOSCOW/info.shtml

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo

By car around Moscow? Forget...

by Pablos_new Updated May 16, 2008

Traffic in Moscow is madness. Million of cars, mad drivers, traffic jams, no direction signes. None really follow the rules at 100%, though it is not yet India ;-))) People say: If you were striked from behind while driving by oncoming line, that you are in Moscow. ;-)

Moscow traffic What could be easier than turn to the left? Garden Ring in daytime (winter 2008)

Instant Answers: Moscow

• Dec 27, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Traffic in Moscow is horrendous, during last New Year eve it took us 4 hours to get to the city centre from the airport. Were using an expat oriented taxi company called Welcome Taxi, their drivers spoke good English and had clean comfortable cars, rates were good too, guess now they are even better since that whole ruble crash.