The Kronstadt Tide-Gauge has its origins in a horizontal mark cut into the stone pier of a bridge over Kronstadt's Obvodny Canal showing the average water level of the Baltic in the period 1825-40 (established by the outstanding hydrographer Mikhail Reineke). Later a gauge for measuring sea-ievel was installed alongside, its zero reading corresponding to the mark. A special float lying on the surface of the water in a well that is connected to the Gulf of Finland is linked to a mareograph - a device that automatically records the current level of the Baltic. These readings provide the basis for measurements of height across Russia.
See here also the fish sculpture on the canal wall opposite. This monument is to the Blockaded fish Kolyushka
There is really little information about this lighthouse. It functions only together (or in pair) with another lighthouse which is situated at another part of the gulf. Such lighthouses are called alignment lighthouses, one of them is a front lighthouse and the other is rear. Kronshtadt lighthouse was built approximately in 1930s when the submarine fleet base was located in this place. Now it is not used.
The submarine S-156 "Komsomolets Kazakhstan" Laid · October 25, 1952. · Built on the factory "Red Sormovo" Gorky. · October 18, 1953 raised the naval flag of the USSR · 37 years
in the composition of compounds Navy in Kronstadt. 20 years, declared "great
During 1805-1817 the St.Andrew's Cathedral was being built in Kronshtadt together with the chapel of Our Lady in Tikhvin Icon. I was absolutely orthodox christian. In this cathedral St.John of Kronshtadt served more then 50 years. The cathedral and the chapel were removed in 1932. Now only a memorial stone was installed in 2003. And the chapel of Our Lady in Tikhvin Icon was rebuilt on this place in 2009. Now it is also used for orthodox religions.
Built in 1817 this cathedral was sadly demolished in 1932 but today there is a memorial gardens where it once stood. Here is a map of the city and a symbolic pot , from which according to legend the island "Kotlin" took its name.
There is also "the tree of desires" which is situated near the fence of the obvodny canal. This is very popular with young tourists and visitors to the city.
Also close by is the statue to Lenin.
Gostiny Dvor was built in 1832 to a design by V. Maslov. It soon became the main shopping centre in Kronshtadt as it still is today.
In 2007 the building was completely restored back to its former glory.
Outside the Gostiny Dvor is the musical fountain "Kronslot" and a memorial sign "300 years of Kronshtadt"
This complex of building were built during the late 18th and early 19th centuries primarily for the supplying of ships with evrything considered necessary for there operations. Today these building are in a very poor state of repair although it is planned to restore them in the future.
The Admiralty is surrounded by the the Obvodny canal.
Fabian Gottlieb Thaddeus von Bellingshausen was an officer in the Imperial Russian Navy, cartographer and explorer, who ultimately rose to the rank of Admiral. He was a notable participant of the first Russian circumnavigation and subsequently a leader of another circumnavigation expedition, which discovered the continent of Antarctica.
Bellingshausen started his service in the Baltic Fleet, and after distinguishing himself, he joined the First Russian circumnavigation in 1803-1806, where he served on frigate Nadezhda under the captaincy of Adam Johann von Krusenstern. After the journey he published a collection of maps of the newly explored areas and islands of the Pacific Ocean. Subsequently he commanded several ships of the Baltic and Black Sea Fleets.
As a prominent cartographer, Bellingshausen was appointed to command the circumnavigation of the globe in 1819-1821, intended to explore the Southern Ocean and to find land in the proximity of the South Pole. The expedition was prepared by Mikhail Lazarev, who was made Bellingshausen's second-in-command and the captain of sloop Mirny, while Bellingshausen himself commanded sloop Vostok. During this expedition Bellingshausen and Lazarev became the first explorers to see the land of Antarctica on January 28, 1820 (New Style). They managed to twice circumnavigate the continent and never lost each other from view. Thus they disproved Captain Cook's assertion that it was impossible to find land in the southern ice fields. The expedition discovered and named Peter I Island, Zavodovski, Leskov and Visokoi Islands, Antarctic Peninsula and Alexander Island (Alexander Coast), and made some discoveries in the tropical waters of the Pacific.
Made Counter-Admiral on his return, Bellingshausen participated in the Russo-Turkish War of 1828–1829. Promoted to Vice-Admiral, he again served in the Baltic Fleet in 1830s, and from 1839 he was the military governor of Kronstadt, where he died. In 1831 he published the book on his Antarctic travel, called Double Investigation of the Southern Polar Ocean and the Voyage Around the World. He is remembered in Russia as one if its greatest admirals and explorers, and multiple geographical features and locations in the Antarctic, named in honor of Bellingshausen, remind of his role in exploration of the southern polar region.
This building was formerly a Lutheran church built in the first half of the 19th century. The church is a retangular building with its main facade decorated by 6 columned portico with a triangular pediment to a Corinthian design.
Formerly the building had a dome with a cross on top but this is long gone !!!
The buiding is now owned by "Vodokanal" and is not open to the public.
Constructed in 1903 of granite and pottery stone.
The facades of the building are decorated with mosaic icons and anchors with chains.
The chapel was completely restored in 2004 for the 300th anniversary of kronshtadt.
it is located next to the Art museum.
The museum takes a trip across time and finds out about 300 years of history in Kronshtadt.
themuseum collections include a model of Kronslot fort. A Kronshtadt water pipe believed to be the first in Russia and lots of photo's and documents about life in Kronshtadt
In the park outside there is a horizontal sun dial ( the biggest one in St.Petersburg), two fountains and a sculpture of the "water carrier".
A large area of the city is occupied by the Naval plant.
Opened in 1858 the factory became the first center for shipbuilding and repairs in Russia.
for many years war ships and auxillary vessels were built in the docks here.
In 1967 at Metallistov Square a memorial to the workers of the Naval plant was erected
The huge 70-metre-high cathedral with a 27-metre diameter dome was built in 1902-13
on the highest point in Kronstadt. It served primarily as a garrison church for the
sailors quartered in the town. The design was by Vasily Kosiakov, the director of the
Institute of Civil Engineers, who took Hagia Sophia in Constantinople as his prototype.
He gave the western facade of the cathedral a mighty portal and divided up the inner
space with two-tier arcades. The cathedral is decorited with ornamental mosaic and
murals (Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin took part in this work) and the floors are of different
coloured marble slabs set in brass.
Yakornaya Square (Anchors Square) is one of the most memroable places in Kronshtadt.
The square appeared in 1754 as the place for the storage of anchors and anchor chains (hence the name, meaning anchor square; in November 1918 the square was renamed as Revolyutsii Square, though the name did not become common). The square took on its current appearance in the late 19th century with the building of St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral. In 1913, a monument to admiral S.O. Makarov was set up on Yakornaya Square (sculptor L.V. Shervud). From 1917 to the early 1920s, the square was a popular place for meetings of Kronstadt workers, seamen and soldiers. In 1974, Yakornaya Square was reconstructed: its area was paved with stone blocks, and a pavement flagged in cast-iron was built on the western side of the square. In 1986, two anchors were installed here, as well as part of the armour and the turret of I.I. Tambasov memorial gun taken off from the battleship Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsiya (October Revolution). Before that time the articles were set in the Summer Garden of Kronstadt where they were put in 1957. The square also accommodates the Common Grave of the participants of the Revolution and the Civil war. In 1974, a headstone was added to the grave, designed by architect L.K. Larionov, and an Eternal Fire was lit here in 1980.
The most remarkable place in the park is the majestic monument to Peter the Great erected in 1841.
The embankment opens with a view of the Peter's quay where military and research ships can be seen.There is also a memorial midday gun and a stele in honour of Russian seamen - heroes of Teusima battle.