Nightclubs and bars in Saint Petersburg

White Night on Nevsky Prospekt
    by HORSCHECK

Most Viewed Nightlife in Saint Petersburg

• johngayton's Profile Photo

1'ya Ryumochnaya: A Proper Russian Bar!

by johngayton Updated Jun 29, 2014

It was when my feet refused to pass the doorway that I knew I'd found a proper Russian pub. The landlady carefully pouring a measuring jug of vodka into a chilled flask at the bar, for a couple of waiting customers confirmed my instincts.

Taking the metro out to Ploschad Lenina had been a pure spur-of-the-moment decision, inspired by a conversation in a pub the night before regarding Lenin's return from exile to Petrograd (as St Petersburg was then called) in 1917. He had arrived via Sweden by train to the Finlyandskiy Railway Station and no sooner had he disembarked his train he gave an impassioned speech atop an armoured car in front of the station exit, calling for a Bolshevik revolution and denouncing the local soviet. The rest, as they say, is history and his return is marked by a statue in the fountained square.

So having done my cultural bit it was beer time!

This proved to be the cheapest beer I found in Russia at only 80 roubles and the first slipped down rather well. As I was deciding whether or not to have a second a rather stunningly-gorgeous blond lady entered and engaged in conversation at the bar with the landlady, or so I thought. I went to the bar and indicated, in a rather nikulturny fashion, that I wanted another beer. They both gave me a withering look, the one that women do when you interrupt their conversation. I shrugged apologetically, berating myself for my lack of manners, and was treated to a rather delicious smile from the blond, along with my second beer from the landlady.

Unfortunately I was headed elsewhere for dinner that evening.

Definitely a bar to which I'll return, but before doing so I'll make sure that my Russian is up-to-speed for apologising properly - she really was that stunning!

• Trains

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Rom Baba: A Sad Piece Of Real-time History!

by johngayton Written Jun 24, 2014

Although not themed as an Irish pub Rom Baba does have a lot of characteristics I'd associate with one. It is however a welcoming basement bar with a friendly English-speaking barman and is open until late.

Although the beers are mostly expensive foreign imports the house beer, the eponymous Rom Baba, is a locally-brewed one, branded for the pub, and a bit cheaper than the others.

As late drinking establishments go this was quite a pleasant, if slightly expensive, find and I was there on the night that the smoking ban happened. At 5 to midnight on May 31st the barman announced that in five minutes the ashtrays would be removed and that anyone who wished to do so should join him in a final cigarette.

It was with some sadness that we did so and then at midnight exactly the ashtrays were ceremoniously removed, never to be seen again on that bar.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Cafe Romanov: A Brief Afternoon Beer!

by johngayton Written Jun 24, 2014

Although much more of a restaurant than a bar, and quite a swish-looking restaurant at that, Cafe Romanov boasts an informal covered terrace in the small square outside.

This proved ideal for a late-afternoon beer between the high-culture of the Russian Museum and dinner that evening at Yat. The terrace was pleasantly buzzy, service swift and friendly, and if I remember correctly my beer not too extortionately-priced. I should imagine this would be a pleasant spot for a later evening beer or two, especially during the White Nights.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Harat's Irish Pub: Hobson's Choice!

by johngayton Written Jun 24, 2014

As mentioned in my Intro to this section I usually avoid "Irish" pubs, outside of Ireland, like the plague. However in the immediate vicinity of my hotel there was a bit of a paucity of suitable drinking establishments and so when needs must, needs do.

Harat's turned out to be not too bad. It has the usual Irish pubby theming and the beer menu starts with the obligatory unholy trinity of Guinness, Harp and Kilkenny. It was however reasonably busy with a pleasantly buzzy atmosphere. The couple of American ex-pats drinking at the bar were welcoming and gave us the heads-up on what the best beer was and service was pleasantly swift.

My drinking buddy Michael and I agreed that the locally-brewed APA (American Pale Ale) was perfectly drinkable and at 250 roubles wasn't too wallet-busting. The Americans left early-ish, but not before giving us some advice on other local bars worth seeking out. But it was the early hours and we were disinclined to venture further, so a couple more beers were duly enjoyed.

We dropped back in a couple of nights later, the day after the smoking ban of June 1st 2014 commenced, and the place just wasn't quite the same but still definitely worth a visit.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Overview - To Be Updated In The Future!: A Brief Intro.

by johngayton Updated Jun 19, 2014

One of the problems of visiting a place for a VT meeting is that I get so little time to find the pubs and bars that suit my style of travelling. With only three days, and four nights, each of which we spent in different restaurants I didn't really get a chance to pub crawl. My friend Elena had given me a couple of pointers but I never did get round to finding the street she suggested.

I'm not complaining, as such, since I've already decided a revisit to this city is an absolute must, and checking out a few more bars is one of my #1 AAA priorities.

The main street, Nevsky Prospekt, where my hotel was seemed to having nothing but "Irish" pubs, a genre which normally I avoid like the plague - except, of course, in Ireland. A meander out to the Mariinski theatre turned out to be a total tease when I noticed the stencilled directions to "My friends PUB" which turned out to be closed - pleasant walk by the canal though!

The first "Irish" bar I tried was definitely the worst example of a non-Irish, "Irish" bar I'd ever encountered; having no beers worth contemplating and what it did offer was hugely expensive and German! In fact that one was so naff I didn't even bother taking any pics or noting its name, or location.

My drinking buddy, Michael, and I did find a couple of reasonable ones though and on one of my personal wanders I discovered a proper Russian bar where vodka could be bought by volume and beer was only 80 roubles. That one I'll make a point of revisiting, if only to see if the beautifully sexy blond lady who I was so nikulturny in front of has maybe forgiven me - and if so that'll be a tale for elsewhere ;-)

But more later.

In the meantime here's a couple of pics of the teaser:

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

White Nights (Beliye Nochi)

by HORSCHECK Updated Sep 19, 2011

St. Petersburg is the world's only city with a population over 1 million which has the effect of the White Nights (Beliye Nochi).

From about June 11th to July 2nd the sun does not go under the horizon deep enough to get real darkness. So on warm and clear days the nightlife happens outside, mainly along the Neva embankment.

I was in St. Petersburg when the High School graduates got their diplomas (June 22nd). In this night Nevsky Prospekt was closed for traffic and filled with pupils celebrating their summer breaks.

White Night on Nevsky Prospekt White Night on Nevsky Prospekt
    • Trains

• LarisaLove's Profile Photo

Leningrad: Good Russian band

by LarisaLove Written Sep 2, 2007

(Ленинград in Russian) is a Russian ska punk band from Saint Petersburg (formerly Leningrad).

Composed of 14 members, the band appeared in the late 1990s around singer Sergey "Shnur" Shnurov (Сергей Шнуров). It soon became famous for its vulgar lyrics (see Russian mat), the main reason it was avoided by most radio stations at first. But this did not stop its growing popularity. As Shnurov said himself: "Our songs are just about the good sides of life, vodka and girls that is." The band is known to be disliked by Moscow mayor Yuri Mikhailovich Luzhkov, who cancelled many of their concerts in the city. But since then, the band has made its way to radio and TV (filler noises covering the rude words, certain songs containing many of these filler noises), with Shnurov even presenting some New Year's Eve TV shows.

Leningrad has gained some popularity in other parts of the world. Partially due to a well known Adobe Flash animation, created by Toondra, set to their song "Menya Zovut Shnur" (Russian: «Меня зовут Шнур») or "My Name is Shnur" in English.

My favorit band

Nikolaevsky IV: Traditional Russian songs

by Sininen Updated Apr 1, 2006

The dance group was followed by a balalaika quartet, who played the traditional Russian songs like "Kalinka" and "Black eyes". They were very good, too. The last performance was given by another dancing group, who had some singers with them, too, and they were excellent, too. The ladies of the group came off the stage and asked some men to come and dance with them on the stage. It was so funny to look at them and a girl friend of one of the men laughed madly at her boy friend. I love Russian folk songs and we all really enjoyed the show very much. Though it lasted for two hours it was too short and we would have loved to see more of the dances still. We took a trolley back to the hotel and it was another experience with my sister, but everything went well.

Nikolaevsky III: We laughed till we cried

by Sininen Written Apr 1, 2006

Then there was a funny eskimo dance. Two fluffy eskimos dancing clumsily. It seemed like they were about to fall from the stage any minute. The audience was giggling and bursted into laugh, when the eskimos "fell" on my sister and her partner's laps. It was so funny that the tears were falling down our cheeks. The eskimos turned out to be the very same young man, who asked me to take his photo. He was so really good indeed.

Nikolaevsky II: Colourful dancing

by Sininen Written Apr 1, 2006

They were followed by a dancing group, which was excellent. You should have seen the men dancing trepak! We were sitting in the first row and when they saw I had a camera one of the man dancers showed that I should take a photo of him, which I also did.

Saint Petersburg Hotels

Latest: Apr 8, 2013
Helvetia Hotel Suites
By the Hermitage

Instant Answers: Saint Petersburg

Comments

Saint Petersburg Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Saint Petersburg locals.
Map of Saint Petersburg