Clothes, Saint Petersburg

by sennaya
    Me at Palace Square
    by sophiebeans
  • lifeisatrip's Profile Photo

Don't forget the umbrella!

by lifeisatrip Written Jul 11, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: For a summer trip to St. Petersburg, pack a light jacket (Spring or Autumn-weight) for when the sun goes down or when it rains. Take clothes that you can layer and peel off as it gets warmer. The touristic sights are walkable only in comfortable shoes and dry weather. But bring the umbrella, it will definitely come handy!

• sophiebeans's Profile Photo

Comfort is Key!

by sophiebeans Updated Feb 11, 2005

Me at Palace Square

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: For my trip, I packed wrinkle-free clothes and comfortable shoes. Sure, I looked like an AWOL nun, and I didn't look as fashionable as the natives, but at least my feet didn't hurt! Besides, Russians can spot a tourist a mile away, no matter what they are wearing, so don't even try to blend in.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Pack what you need, but don't freak-out too much if you forget something. There are stores, kiosks and pharmacies all over the place in St. Petersburg.

Photo Equipment: This is an incredible city! Be prepared to take lots of pictures! I brought all my film along with me so I didn't have to buy any when I got there, but I made sure to get my pictures developed while I was in St. Petersburg because I was afraid they might get ruined going through the airport x-rays. Getting film developed in St. Petersburg cost about the same as it does in America and my pictures came out great! Better to be safe than sorry!

Miscellaneous: I was really glad I picked up the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide for St. Petersburg. It was really helpful! One thing I wished I thought to bring with me to Russia was a basic English-to-Russian dictionary. There are phrases in many guide and travel books, but they weren't enough for me when I was trying to communicate with the people I was staying with. I tried to buy one of these dictionaries at the many bookstores around St, Petersburg while I was there, but the only English-to-Russian dictionaries they had were written in Cyrillic. Not much help to a Yankee like me!

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

You shouldn't need me to tell you, but...

by morgane1692 Updated Apr 4, 2004

TAKE THE PICTURE, DAMMMMMIT!!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: ...if you find yourself in Russia in the winter, for the love of all that is good and true, bring wool and flannel everything. Fleece, that's a good idea as well. Fur! My mink earmuffs and flannel-lined jeans, I think they saved my life! Don't forget the heavy wools, hats, socks, boots, and layered gloves and mittens.

• liusia's Profile Photo

Going to the theatre? Don't be a punk

by liusia Written Nov 2, 2003

the Mariinsky Theatre's chandelier

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you plan on going to the theatre, opera, ballet, etc. at all while in St. Pete's, you should really bring along a classier outfit. Russians there will be dressed up, even more so if you go to one of the big theatres like the Mariinsky. Nice black pants and a dress shirt/blouse will do, just make sure you stay away from jeans and fanny packs - you'll feel out of place, trust me.

• Music
    • Theater Travel

• gussymons's Profile Photo

Born in the U.S.S.R.

by gussymons Written Jul 4, 2003
    Author with CCCP T-shirt

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Clearly, any self-respecting inostranets will bring his USSR t-shirt with him to Russia. You can even buy a McLenin t-shirt and other Soviet stuff, like those shapkas with the hammer and sickle badges.

• Jaybers's Profile Photo

Packing List

by Jaybers Updated Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Whatever...

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I went in mid Summer which got take-your-top-off hot (I did and attracted quite a lot of attention, not I suspect due to my godly physique but rather because it made me look like a tourist!). But also take a good warm coat and an umbarella. Think slightly more predictable and stable Scotland and you have St P weather.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Be prepared to buy bottled water for everything. Also take any medications you particularly like (Neurofen, Benilyn) with you. I'm sure the Russians sell equivalents but they won't be brands you know.

Photo Equipment: With an adaptor, my hotel room had plenty of power points so no charging problems. I would suggest taking batteries though and film.

Miscellaneous: Pocket dictionaries went down a storm as presents - the Russian ones aren't very good.

• Packing List

by Ursula1 Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Plenty of warm layers needed if traveling to St. Petersburg during winter months. It can get very cold. Our trip was February and snow, snow and more snow, beautiful once we were prepared. Thermal undergarments, good thick socks, strong walking shoes, hat, coat, scarf and gloves.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: We would generally try to avoid public toilets when away. When necessary we used good hotels and restaurents. Always carry paper tissues.
    Wipes are great when travelling.
    Your own supply of plasters, headache tablets etc.,

Photo Equipment: Good supplies available, but duty free stores are usually where I would buy film, batteries etc.,

• sennaya's Profile Photo

Museum Fashion

by sennaya Updated May 20, 2007

Museum fashion shoes

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Come as you are to museums, but they may ask you to take off your street jacket and wear some of their protective booties. Feel soooo cool!

• Women's Travel
    • Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Saint Petersburg

Comments

View all Saint Petersburg hotels