Russian Cuisine, Saint Petersburg

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Tolstiy Frayer: Small Russian Bar/Restaurant

by sue_stone Updated Oct 13, 2005

Bad photo taken inside Tolstiy Frayer

Located just off Nevsky Prospekt, and conveniently just across the road from our hotel was this interesting small beer hall/restaurant.

Tolstiy Frayer is located below street level, and is decorated in with communist paraphernalia. It serves a selection of mainly local beers, including several types of Baltika.

Staff were friendly, though not too efficient....there was plenty of them just standing about, ignoring customers.

Favorite Dish: We sampled a couple different blends of Baltika beer and dined on a traditional meal of soup with pelemini (a type of dumpling).

• starship's Profile Photo

ANTALYA: Modern Turkish Restaurant Hosts Tour Groups

by starship Updated Sep 22, 2008

Lunch at Antalya

Our first day in St. Petersburg we were on a day long tour and lunch was included. We stopped quite early, probably 11:30a.m. to have lunch at a restaurant called "Antalya." The restaurant was located on a busy street, across from an apartment block, in a modern, rotunda-style building which housed shops, perhaps a hotel and other eating establishments. After entering the building, we climbed a few steps, then crossed a polished, marble bridge spanning a pool with fountains to reach the second floor where the restaurant was located. It was fairly obvious that this was a new establishment because although the facilities were nice & new, there were no distinquishing features and the place had no charm what-so-ever. It was basically a very large room which obviously catered to tour groups. That being said, the stafff did an admirable job delivering our food still hot, and the owners were pleasant enough. I guess I was expecting a restaurant that perhaps looked Russian!

High up near the ceiling on one column was a ceramic symbol to ward off the evil eye and so I was thinking that the owners were of Turkish decent combined with the name of the restaurant; when I asked to purchase a rather unique glass on our table, the owners made a present of it to me!

Favorite Dish: We had a very nice mixed salad, followed by a bowl of tasty onion soup; then a hot dish of buttered potatoes, and a chicken dish with something like scalloped potatoes with cheddar cheese which was probably something like Chicken Kiev. It was quite tasty. There was also a basket of bread which was not regular sliced bread, but more of a fried pita. Dessert was one scoop of vanilla, and one scoop of chocolate ice cream. I believe they served us coffee and bottled water as well.

I think the restaurant did an outstanding job of delivering a hot meal to a very large group of people! Perhaps after they become more established, the owners will be able to add more decorative detail to their restaurant! Though spacious, clean & well lit, the restaurant lacked a certain warmth.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Restaurant Nikolaevskaya Trapeza

by HORSCHECK Updated Feb 10, 2010

Nikolaevskaya Trapeza - Reindeer cutlet

I visited this Russian restaurant for dinner with VT members from Russia and the USA and their family and friends.

Nikolaevskaya Trapeza (Nicholas' Meal) is a small and cosy restaurant with a classic but simple interior. The Russian meals are delicious and inexpensive. English menus are available.

Favorite Dish: I had a reindeer cutlet, a mixed salad and a few Russian beers (Tinkoff). All in all the bill was less than 500 rubels (about 16 Euro, 2005).

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Cafe Max Food: For a quick bite

by filipdebont Written Jun 17, 2004

Max Food

I had booked two evenings in a theatre while I was visiting St Petersburg. And these events started already early (at 19.00), so I had to eat early. So after the theatre I wanted something more to eat. Like this I discovered this Fast food restaurant along Sadovaya.

It was just around the corner of the Hostel where I stayed.

The kebab plate was delicious and cheap (180 Roubles with a big beer).

The restaurant was very clean, and mostly visited by young Russians.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Kebab with delicious sause

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Russian Cuisine: Russian restaurant

by filipdebont Written May 31, 2004

local food

The owner of the St Petersburg Travellers Hostel had advised me this restaurant. It was very near, only a few minutes on foot.

The advantage was that all the food was in sight, so you could point what you desired.

As the menu was completely in Russian. The boy behind the counter could speak some English, like this you could know the difference between the pork dishes and the chicken dishes. You could choose between rice and potatoes.

The plate was cheap (280 Roubles, big beer included) and tasty

Favorite Dish: I had two rolls of Porc, one was filled with mushrooms and cheese the other was filled with tomatoes, this all with rice mixed with small vegetables.

And a big Russian beer.

PS : I had another beer for dessert (65 Roubles - 1 Euro = 35 Roubles)

• loja's Profile Photo

"Pyshechkaya": Russian pyschki!

by loja Updated Mar 19, 2011

More than 50 years this place is located on Konjusennaja street (house 25). But it's more than typical caffee or sth, this is a hystorical place! Nowdays in this place is everything as it was 30, 40 years ago! Like it was in Soviet Union. I have no idea, how to discribe, what is exactly there. Coffee as it was 50 years ago. And this small sweeties is not like doughnuts.There is a big difference between them. It have only one, Russian name. In Russian it's pyski. So delicious!!! This place is absolutely MUST VISIT and coffee with pyski is MUST TRY! Something Russian, something special about this place. Nothing luxury, but so lovely!!
    Also, when we entered, someone sayd: Ladies, be careful! Then we look up and saw, that there was a big orange cat! Above our table!! :-) There is a photo.

• northsea's Profile Photo

The Russian house: Russian cuisine

by northsea Updated Apr 4, 2011

Russian house-Pushkin

Russian House restaurant is located in a three-storied mansion surrounded with palaces and parks of Tsarskoe Selo ( Tsars Village ), one of the most beautiful suburbs of Saint-Petersburg.
    As in all restuarants you have no time to talk to your neighbour,if you do so and you are not attentive, your plate is gone.

Favorite Dish: As we were in group, we got a menu ,on which nothing was to complain.

• Natalya2006's Profile Photo

Bistro "Kolobok": Bistro with free Internet access and Wi-Fi

by Natalya2006 Updated May 28, 2006

There are 5 halls in 2 floors. 15% discounts for ISIC card, 25% discount to take meal with you, 15% untill 11.00 and after 19.00. Movie on a big screen. Free Internet access in a hall on the 1st floor and Wi-Fi. They opened 7.30 - 22.00.
    When we were there with VT member "yumyum" we won a prise bill - all we took were free. It was a great surprise for us!
    P.S. The hall with the computers is opened from 9.30.

Favorite Dish: Very good pasties.

U tyoschi na blinakh: Russian Fast Food - great for quick lunch

by Audrey118 Written Jun 1, 2004

I got this tip from VTer dabs, and it was easily found. It is exactly how she said; cafetaria styled, you see it on display, and the service girls speak enough English for us to order our food. Mushroom stuffed with minced meat and herbs eaten with sour cream was yum, so was the chicken cutlet - which is actually chicken skin filled with minced chicken and mushrooms and fried and it was pretty yummy,, the chicken kiev was quite a let down. Maybe I expected it to be cheesy inside, but it was a hard long baton looking like chook, which when you cut through it...oil and herbs oozes out..quite tasty otherwise.

Favorite Dish: i cannot understand - it must be terribly unsafe to be in SPburg. They have a man standing in the dining hall, minding us, as if watching over our safety!!!

Russian Cuisine: Kalinka Malinka

by Audrey118 Written May 28, 2004

Booking is essential. One thing odd I realise in SPB that most restaurants operates from noon till wee in the morning. It is like all day dining!!!

We wanted to have dinner impromtu, but had to instead make bookings for the following evening. The restaurant is a basement restaurant, faces the Pushkin monument at the Art Square, very close to the Grand Europa Hotel and to the Russian museum and Church of Spilled Blood etc. Great location.

Favorite Dish: One thing I discovered about SPB food, is pork - it is terribly delicious here...so order anything porky!!! I highly recommend their pork leg, it is succulent, extremely tender...and huge serving. I had special salmon with special sauce - made of champagne and dotted with sturgeon caviar...yummy!!! I also highly recommend their pancake Petrovets....it has lots of mushrooms n ham inside - good for sharing. Altho - not too impressed with their mushrooms soup. It comes clear, with diced potatoes and also sliced mushrooms and a huge blob of cream which I thought was a dumpling!!!! and you sort of stirred it into the soup making it a creamed soup which is othewise very very light. They have also Georgian wine to accompany the meal.

• travelingdanna's Profile Photo

Kolobok: Kolobok is the best! Free Internet!

by travelingdanna Written Nov 12, 2004

using the computer at Kolobok

Every time I was near Metro Chernishevskaya, I stopped at Kolobok. This place is great! It's clean, cheap, nice bathroom, and there is an internet terminal which is absolutely FREE. It's upstairs. You have to stand at it, and you may have to wait a while if someone is already using it, but hey... free internet...
    The food is great, mostly light Russian dishes and pastries. The service is good too, but watch your tray - the efficient staff like to take away your food before you're done with it.

Favorite Dish: The egg and green onion pastry is highly recommended. I personally like the pastry "kartoshka" but some people don't.

• Natalya2006's Profile Photo

Russian Cuisine: Art-cafe "Musyka krysh" ("Music of roofs")

by Natalya2006 Updated Oct 20, 2006

This cafe is decorated as an old apartment in an attic. On a twenty-four hour basis. From 19.30 to 22.30 you can hear music (jazz, piano, rock'n'roll, folk). You need to buy a ticket in the evening from 1 euro to 4 for locals (I don't know about foreigners). Lunch in the daytime less then 4 euro.

Favorite Dish: Fish

• Dabs's Profile Photo

U tyoschi na blinakh (mother in law's pancakes): Great cafeteria style Russian food

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

We wandered into this restaurant on our second visit to St. Petersburg in 2001and feasted on meat pancakes, chicken cutlets and several other things we couldn't quite identify at the time.

We located it again on our trip in September 2003 and enjoyed it just as much as the first visit.

The restaurant is cafeteria style, several of the servers spoke English and we had no problem ordering.

Favorite Dish: Delicious meat pancakes and sour cream, chicken kiev, fried pork and egg

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Golden Ostap: stiff setting!!!

by Audrey118 Written May 31, 2004

i took this tip from VTer neilmcg and we had a great time there...i think we were the only diners. The problem is the service staff spoke so little english...it was quite a circus how he was relating the icon of the restaurant, statues of Ostap Bender everywhere!!!!

Favorite Dish: my fren had crsipy pork pieces which were terribly delicious. I also highly recommend their pancakes with mushrooms. I had a nice stroganoff which came in a pot covered with puff pastry. My husband enjoyed his sturgeon fish.

• loja's Profile Photo

''Teremok'': Russian pancakes!

by loja Written Mar 19, 2011

We decided to try Russian pancackes! And we went to Teremok in Okay LAdozskij market. We take 3 pancackes, 2 with strawverry and 1 with cheese. Pancackes were delicious,yes, BUT ice cream... No. Absolutely tasteless. For pancackes this is a perfect place, but only for pancackes. Amd yeah, prices are low!

Instant Answers: Saint Petersburg

Comments

View all Saint Petersburg hotels