Fun things to do in Saint Petersburg

Most Viewed Things to Do in Saint Petersburg

• balhannah's Profile Photo

RUSSIAN DRESS - UPS!

by balhannah Updated Dec 17, 2014

I really don't know how to explain them!

Around the Nicholas 1 statue, was a man & woman dressed in period costume.
    Our guide told us they expect money if you take your photo of them, and some become quite aggresive! We only met them here, and another lot at Peter & Paul Fortress.

BEWARE!
    TAKE PHOTO.....PAY MONEY!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

On My Wish List For Next Time!

by johngayton Written Jul 4, 2014

A couple of times during my wanderings I noticed this helicopter flying overhead. Doing a bit of research I find that it is a helicopter tour offered by Baltic Airlines (website below) which runs at weekends and holidays from May until October.

The helicopter flies a loop from the St Peter and St Paul Fortress along the river with the flight lasting about 15 minutes. It's not cheap at 3,000 roubles but it does it look spectacular and I should imagine the photo-ops would be well worth the cost.

From what I can gather there's no need to pre-book and so if the weather is good you can just turn up and fly.

• Luxury Travel
    • Adventure Travel

• DAO's Profile Photo

GET YOUR FREE VT FLAG

by DAO Updated May 27, 2014

If you are coming to Saint Petersburg - make sure you have your free Virtual Tourist Flag with you!

Just email the wonderful VT staff at:

feedback@virtualtourist.com

Just send them your address and the rest is history. History to make!

Don't forget!

The VT staff like postcards, so please send them a nice postcard while you are here!

VirtualTourist
    801 Parkview Drive N.
    Suite 200
    El Segundo, CA 90245

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Evening Stroll

by easterntrekker Written Jan 6, 2014

Marlinski Theatre
    We were wondering how to best get to the theatre from our hotel and in the end decided to walk...buses just seemed too confusing.
    we headed out for the Famous Marlinski Theatre at 5:40 pm. And really enjoyed our walk. We had heard stories that we might be stopped and asked for our documents by police...but we need not worry . We did pass a couple of police but they didn't even give us a glance.
    We strolled along the canal for 40 minutes before we spotted the building famous for Russian opera and ballet. Rudolph Nuriyev was famous here before he defected.

Beautiful canals everywhere
    • Music
    • Theater Travel

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Book a walking tour

by albaaust Written Nov 20, 2013

We wanted to have a bit of an overview of St Petersburg's main sites on the first day and so booked a walking tour with Urban Adventures walk about tours. It turned out there was just the two of us and our guide Alexander. He was very knowledgeable and had his I Pad with him and when appropriate added extra details with old photographs he had of various tourist sites as we walked by them. We started off in Palace Square, walked past the Hermitage and New Hermitage, across Troitsky Most to Aleksandrovskiy Park, coffee, past the mosque to the Peter and Paul fortress and then caught the Metro at Sportivnaya to Nevsky Prospect and a bit of shopping. Alexander also showed us how to negotiate the metro. All in all a good introduction and for the money good value. A$34.00

Sportivnaya Metro

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Not a great intro to St Petersburg

by albaaust Written Nov 19, 2013

At the moment the international airport is very small and the distance from the landing strip to the terminal is about 15 minutes plane drive away. If you want a great view of St Petersburg as you fly in try and sit on the right hand side. You'll only get a view of silos and trees on the left.

City tour - Hop on Hop off

by nyperose Written Jul 23, 2013

The city tour Hop on Hop off exists in Saint Petersburg as well, and it is a good idea if you want to rest your feet and just want to sit and enjoy the beautiful cityscape from above the double-decker.

The price for the city tour is (July 2013) 500 R per adult - 600 R with a canal cruise included.

The ticket is valid for the whole day (12 hours). The full circle takes 2 hours.

The tour starts from Ostrovsky Square (number 1), but you can take the bus from any of the stops along the planned itinerary.

The first tour starts around 9 AM and the last tour stops around 9 PM during the summer season.

It is best to buy the ticket directly from the driver.

ATTENTION: other companies are organizing tours called City Tours as well, and if you buy your ticket from a kiosk you can very well end up in a minibus instead of in the double-decker City Tour bus.

The city tour HOP ON HOP OFF bus The initinary in red and canal tour in blue
    • Architecture

The islands Krestovsky, Yelagin and Kamennyy

by nyperose Written Jul 23, 2013

If you want to spend a day walking in nice green meadows with lakes and ponds, wooden areas, sport grounds and plenty of sport activities, then it is a good idea to go visit the islands Krestovsky, Yelagin an Kamennyy.

They are all connected via bridges, so it is easy to walk around all three of them in one day.

We took the metro directly to Krestovsky (metro stop Krestovsky ostrov) and just started walking.

For Yelagin island we had to pay 50 R to cross the bridge because it is a protected area, but it was absolutely worth it! The Kamennyy island is mainly a residential area with lots of big houses hidden behind hedges. There are also some embassies here.

On a walk around the islands Lots of tame squirrels on Yelagin island On a walk around the islands On a walk around the islands
    • Hiking and Walking

• nyperose's Profile Photo

Boat trips on the canals and on the Neva

by nyperose Updated Jul 23, 2013

If you want to take a boat trip in Saint Petersburg, you can just walk to Admiralteyskaya embankment, beside the Hermitage and close to the Dvortsoviy (palace) bridge. Here you can buy different tickets for either canal tours or tours on the Neva. The hydrofoil to Peterhof leaves from here as well, and the trip takes only about 30 minutes.

Canal tours are leaving from many other places in the city as well, you can just walk around by the canals intill you bump into canal boats ready to leave.

Aquabuses: Originally there are 4 lines, but only one was operating when I was there: the yellow line travelling from Arsenalnaya embankment to Staraya Derevnya. We were told that the other lines were closed because too expensive to run: the Russians did not use them and the tourists were using them as tourist boats....!!! The price for a full trip was only 100 R and there were only me and two more people, so I understand that they are too expensive to run, really a pity because the trip itself was nice even if the boat was travelling full speed and the "tourists" got only a very quick glimpse of the fast-moving land- and riverscape:-) But, fun it was even when the driver was trying to scare us by driving full speed towards one of the bridges before he cleverly managed to manoeuver around it!

Admiralteyskaya embankment The hydrofoil travelling to Peterhof The Arsenalnaya embankment -aqua buses The aqua-bus in full speed
    • Beaches

Eclectica excursions Saint Petersburg - excellent

by nyperose Written Jul 23, 2013

During my stay in Saint Petersburg this summer 2013, I found this very nice excursion company, situated on Nevsky Prospekt (the main street).

They operate from kiosks and they offer trips both Inside and outside Saint Petersburg.
    We went to Novgorod and Tsarskoye Selo (St. Catherines palace) with them, and everything was very well organized. We travelled in comfortable air-conditioned coaches.

Most tours are in Russian only, but it made it only more exciting for us, and as long as you can spell yourself through what is written in their leaflet, you can find a lot of interesting tours both Inside and in the outskirts of Saint Petersburg. Many of the guides speak some English, and they were all extremely helpful and nice. A plus point: if you take the tours in Russian they are very cheap compared to tours organized in English, and you get to the same places even if you don't understand everything (or nothing) of what the guides are saying.

Examples of places you can travel to with Eclectica: Peterhof, Kronstadt, Gatchina, Novgorod, Oranienbaum, Strelna, Puskin (St.Catherines palace - Tsarskoye Selo), Vyborg, Staraya Ladoga and of course different sightseeing-tours Inside the city centre of Saint Petersburg.

One of the excursion-kiosks Nevsky Prospekt, Gostinyy Dvor

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

A Wedding in St Petersburg

by Mikebb Updated Apr 4, 2013

Our coach had parked and we were walking to the Peter & Paul Cathedral when I saw the lady in the wedding gown. First Russian wedding (or part of) that I had seen, I stayed behind for a few minutes and took a few more photos.
    Amazed to see the huge hellicoptor used for the wedding party.

I found this to be interesting, and I guess it would not be the normal everyday wedding transport in St Petersburg.

Bride & Guests Transport for Wedding Party Bride & Groom or Father in Background?
    • Women's Travel

Boat along the river

by smirnofforiginal Updated Oct 5, 2012

Walk along the Fontanka River near to the State Hermitage and you will find a boat trip.
    It is a nice way to see SPb from a different perspective.. and I recommend doing it if you have spent the morning at The State Hermitage!
    The boat I took had running commentary in Russian which I found frustrating because I genuinely wanted to know about some of the places we went past.
    It whiled away a couple of hours on a warm, sunny afternoon.
    It is also most affordable.

• Cruise

Feel Yourself Russian

by smirnofforiginal Written Oct 5, 2012

Feel Yourself Russian - as tacky as it sounds - is an amazing show that happens at the Nikolayevsky Palace. It is a Russian folk show and the performers are excellent. We were entertained and enthralled for the entire duration - as were our children. It is loud and lively and there is also a sense of humour that permeates the performance.
    An interval gives you a chance to make purchases of cds etc... should you so desire. There are also snacks and complimentary glasses of champagne (don;t expect anything other than sickly sweet liquid!).
    The palace is grand with a huge staircase.
    The hall that the performance takes place is in a comfortable size.
    I think we were the only independent guests. Everybody else arrived by coach with a tour group. Don;t let this put you off. It is REALLY worth going to.

I contacted the company before I set off and they emailed me back easily enough. I had to get my hotel to confirm and when they made the phone call I did not have tickets! I brief argument and I was booked in.
    2 adults and 2 children's tickets cost £90

• Theater Travel

Not what it seems

by smirnofforiginal Written Oct 5, 2012

The only taxi I took in SPb was to get to the submarine museum. It just so happened that my taxi driver (whose English was really rather good) had been the Commander of a Black Shark nuclear submarine floating below the Atlantic with misiles aimed to London!!! He was a very interesting man who was happy to tell us some of his stories about the KGB and life in the UUSR etc... he looked back on those good, old halcyon days of Cold War with fond memories!
    Anyway, I pointed out a beautiful church. He laughed at me and told me that it is not a church, has never been a church - it was a senior KGB building and the facade is a lie to hide it. He said there are many such buildings scattered around the city.... makes one think.
    This one - the church that is not a church, is opposite the submarine.

Summer Garden

by smirnofforiginal Written Oct 5, 2012

Closed on Monday's for maintenance, this park is kept spotlessly clean and pristine.

Apparently the gardens were planned to resemble the gardens of Versailles.
    There are fountains, trees and statues who, in my opinion, are so well cared for that they look brand, spanking new. I think the Summer Garden would look nice if they allowed it to get a little age or dirt in places... but it is nice to see the garden being tended to by workers in their smart, green, gardening attire. The design is very geometrical with its straight paths leading to wide square areas - perfect for strolling through on a summer's day!

It is free to go into and doesn't really take very long.

• National/State Park

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
Hotel Neva
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Saint Petersburg

Comments

Saint Petersburg Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Saint Petersburg locals.
Map of Saint Petersburg