Kostroma Things to Do

  • Things to Do
    by globetrott
  • Things to Do
    by globetrott
  • Things to Do
    by globetrott

Best Rated Things to Do in Kostroma

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Guard-House (Gauptvakhta)

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 11, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Guard-House (Gauptvakhta)
    2 more images

    Next to the Fire Watch Tower (in the clockwise direction), there's the building where there used to be the military guard-room (gauptvakhta). The decorations on the walls of this building are dedicated to the victory over Napoleon in 1812. The Guard-House was absolutely necessary as the town garrison was impressive in number by then and its officers were rather infamous for drinking and wild behavior.

    Nowadays there's a literature museum inside this building, where you can see samples of old Russian books (hand-written and printed), and an exhibition dedicated to writers from Kostroma region.
    The museum is open daily from 10 till 17.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    General Borshov’s House

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 11, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    General Borshov���s House
    4 more images

    The house in the so-called palace style was built in 1819-1824 for General S.Borshov, known for his courage during the Patriotic War of 1812. It was the only dwelling house of the palace style in Kostroma and its front-side stands out due to the eight-pillar portico.
    After the end of the Patriotic war the owner, General Borshow, became a senator and spent most of his time in the capital. So he and his family would rarely visit the house.

    The house was sold in 1849. The new owner, A.Pervushin, started with a complete renovation of the building before turning it into a profitable hotel venture - Hotel London. Among the most famous guests that stayed there in the years to follow were members of the Royal Family and prominent figures of the Arts world.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Monument to Yury Dolgoruky

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jan 11, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Monument to Yury Dolgoruky
    2 more images

    The city was first mentioned in the chronicles for the year 1213, but historians believe it could have been founded by Yury Dolgoruky more than half a century earlier.
    So it is believed that Kostroma, like Moscow, was founded by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky in 1152. It celebrated its 850th anniversary in 2002.
    Recently the appearance of the one of two main squares of Kostroma - Soviet square underwent some alterations and a new monument was added to the architectural ensemble — the one dedicated to the Duke Yury Dolgoruky.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Trinity Cathedral Inside

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 10, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Trinity Cathedral Inside
    4 more images

    The Trinity Cathedral is famous for its elaborately painted interior.
    The murals painted on the walls are regarded as some of the most valuable art treasures in the country. A perfect match for these frescoes is the picturesque wooden Baroque iconostasis made by Kostroma masters, and comprising 80 icons arranged in several tiers.
    With the Godunovs support a school for icon painters was set up in the monastery. Most renowned masters were Guri Nikitin and Sila Savin.

    You can watch my 2 min 40 sec HD Video Kostroma Ipatiev Monastery Trinity Cathedral out of my Youtube channel with Russian Choral music.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Prince Michael’s gift

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 10, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Prince Michael���s gift

    By the end of XVII century there were 18 bells on the Belfry and the Bell Tower, largest of which in 600 pood (9600 kg) was the contribution of Stefanida - the mother of Tsar Boris Godunov and also of boyars A.Godunov and V.Streshnev.
    In 2006 the new 500 pood (8000 kg) bell "Tsar Michael" was gifted by the prince of Kent Michael (who was a great- great-great-grandson of the Russian emperor Nikolay I) in memory of the 400 anniversary of election on the throne of the Russian tsar Michael Fedorovich Romanov.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Residence of Bishops

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 10, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Residence of Bishops
    4 more images

    This is the largest residential building of the monastery including the Sacred Gate with the church of Saints Chrysanthus and Daria (in the center of the construction), exchequer rooms and residential chambers (to the north and the south from the Sacred Gate).
    In connection with accommodation of the Bishop in the territory of Ipatiev monastery in 1744, the building was considerably reconstructed and adapted under the residence of the Kostroma bishop.
    The facade from the Kostroma river reflects constructions of the XVI-XIX centuries: from fortifications with loopholes up to architectural forms of classicism.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Sacred Gate with the Church of Saints Chr

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jan 10, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Sacred Gate
    3 more images

    The main entrance from the riverside with the Church of Saints Chrysanthus and Daria was designed by the famous Russian architect Konstantin Thon.
    Over the main gate in the central part of the west wall facing the Moscow road is the Green Tower deriving its name from the green tiling of its roof and erected in 1642-1645 to commemorate the coronation of Mikhail Romanov. It was through this gate that the procession of the newly-elected monarch passed on its way to the crowning ceremony in Moscow in 1613.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Powder Tower

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 11, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Powder Tower

    The northwest tower of the Old city was erected in 1586-1590 with the support of Dmitry and Boris Godunovs. It was used for storage of gunpowder.
    As all towers of the Ipatiev monastery it had three levels of fight: the top level - for installation of guns, the middle level for firing from the manual fire and throwing weapon, and the bottom level with loopholes for bottom fight.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Susaninskaya Square (Frying pan)

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jan 11, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Susaninskaya Square (Frying pan)
    4 more images

    The main square of the city (Susaninskaya Ploshchad’) is named after Ivan Susanin, a peasant who became a hero after misleading Polish invaders into a swamp, where they all died.

    The square has several buildings of note, clockwise around the northern side are: the Fire Watch Tower (still in use, and under UNESCO protection), the Guard-House (a former military jail – now a literature museum), the General S.Borshov’s House (the palace of an 1812 war hero, being a hotel for members of the royal family afterwards, now a courthouse) and the Town Hall.
    Then you’ll see the main city street – Sovietskaya and the perfect ensemble of the Arcaded Central Market.
    Locals call the square a frying pan, haha!

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Arcaded Central Market

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 11, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Arcaded Central Market
    4 more images

    The remarkable Arcaded Central Market is situated along the Sovetskaya street and Susaninskaya ploshchad’. It consists of the two trade rows originally called the Red Rows and the Big Flour Rows. Those were intended as market places with a lot of place for separate shops and stalls.
    Interestingly, the territory where the Trade Rows were built in 1791-1796 had long been used as an open air market place by the locals. The complex of the arcades was built at the place, where 300 year before there had been the trenches of Kostroma Kremlin (that didn't exist anymore even in the XVIIIth century).
    Today the rows house numerous shops, cafes and a museum.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Monument to Mikhail Romanov

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jan 11, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Monument to Mikhail Romanov
    1 more image

    It’s quite clear why the Romanov tsars regarded Kostroma as their special protectorate. It was here that an embassy from Moscow offered to Mikhail Romanov the Russian crown in 1612.
    On March 14, 1613, Zemsky Sobor announced that Mikhail Romanov, who had been in the Ipatiev Monastery at that time, would be the Russian tsar.

    1913 was the year of the Romanovs Royal Family 300th anniversary and for the occasion of the Emperor's visit the Kostroma authorities made plans for renovating the park and, most importantly, decided to build a huge monument commemorating the event. According to the original intentions the basis of the monument and its whole structure had to be embellished with numerous figures of all the Czars and Queens of the dynasty.
    Also, some important non-royal historical personalities had to be included in the composition.

    But with the actual monument being erected, the additional sculptures were never to be installed because the 1917 revolution changed everything to the point of absurdity sometimes.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Art Museum

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 11, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Art Museum
    1 more image

    The collection of the Museum of Arts comprises fine pieces of painting of the XVIIIth-XIXth centuries. The Museum also has an interesting collection of the Russian art of the first years of the XXth century.

    The foundation of the Museum in Kostroma took place in 1891 and was connected with the activities of the Kostroma Province Academic Archival Commission. Sometimes it's being called "the Romanov museum", or "former Romanov museum" because it actually was built for the 300th Anniversary of the Romanov Royal family.

    In 1913 the Commission took its seat in the building of the Romanov Museum erected by the celebration time of the tercentenary of the House of Romanov. The new building was opened in the presence of the imperial family.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • yumyum's Profile Photo

    Bell Tower

    by yumyum Written May 25, 2007

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    The south section was built in 1601-4 commissioned by by boyar D.I. Godunov. From 1645-6 the actual bell tower was added. The biggest bell was so heavy that when repairs were needed to the tower it took 700 workman to lower and then replace it.

    Don’t miss the bells ringing. It should be daily at 5 pm but maybe more. It’s an amazing concert.

    Was this review helpful?

  • yumyum's Profile Photo

    Epiphany-St. Anastasia Monastery

    by yumyum Written May 25, 2007

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The monastery is archbishop’s residence. It was originally founded in the 15th century. During the Times of Troubles, Polish troops stormed it in December 1608. Later the Saltykoy boyar family was protecting it, many of its family members are buried in the crypt of the Epiphany cathedral. After a decline, a fire badly damage it in 1847. In 1867 the nuns of the Convent of St. Anastasia moved there und stayed until 1918, when the convent was closed.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Trinity Cathedral

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 10, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Trinity Cathedral
    4 more images

    The crowning glory of the Ipatiev Monastery ensemble is the five-dome Cathedral of the Holy Trinity (Troitsky Sobor). The original stone cathedral was built in 1558-64 with the Godunovs` contributions. In the middle of the XVII century the cathedral was destroyed by a gun powder explosion. The new church was built in 1652.
    The exterior of the Cathedral features some decorative and architectural details: the majestic main porch, blind arcading along the walls, brick decorations of the windows and decorative drums of the domes glittering with gold.
    A smaller church was demolished by the Soviet authorities. There are plans to reconstruct it and consecrate it to the holy martyrs from the Romanov family.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Kostroma

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

114 travelers online now

Comments

Kostroma Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kostroma things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kostroma sightseeing.

View all Kostroma hotels