Sochi Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Sochi

My Sochi in the 1980th

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 20, 2013

Me in Sochi in 1984

Favorite thing: In 1979 our first son was born and in 1980 – the second son. It was difficult to visit Sochi in that time. But in 1982 my wife let me go to spend my summer vacation in the Caucasus and I saw the Black Sea once again in New Aphon – not far from Sochi.
    In 1984 my parents let me with my wife go to Sochi to have a rest from our children. Only one week – but how pleasant it was! And color photos appeared at that time, which bring colorful memory about beautiful Sochi.
    In 1988 we took our children to the Black Sea in Gelendzhik – not far from Sochi. It was their first meeting with the warm sea and subtropical nature. We showed them the way and they travel there themselves since they grew up.

You can watch my 1 min 58 sec Video Black Sea in Sochi out of the hotel balkony part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My Sochi in the 2000th

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 20, 2013

Me in Sochi in January of 2000

Favorite thing: It was a long break in the 1990th for visiting Sochi… In the early 1990th it was very difficult on financial reasons – it was a very difficult time in the Soviet Union and Russia you know. In the middle and in the end of 1990th when times became a little bit easier and at last the iron curtain went up I rushed to Europe and forgot about Sochi for some years.
    But on the eve of 2000 my colleagues and I bethought about Sochi once again and decided to spend the Merry Christmas there. It was another unforgettable trip! First of all it came out very cheap for us. There were 7 of us and $250 for a person for 4 nights including flights Moscow-Sochi-Moscow turned unexpectedly cheap.
    Don’t even try to repeat it nowadays! That’s the reason why we didn’t go there since then. Now Sochi is one of the most expensive resorts at the Russian coast of the Black Sea. It’s better go to Turkey or Egypt to swim and sunbathe. Sochi will host the XXII Olympic Winter Games in 2014. And that is another strong reason not to go there!
    Not only if for nostalgia about happy 1960th, 1970th, 1980th… And when the Games are over!

You can watch my 3 min 19 sec Video Black Sea in Sochi out of the hotel balkony part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My Sochi in the 1970th

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 19, 2013

Me in Sochi in 1977

Favorite thing: When I became a young man I went on visiting Sochi and its surroundings by myself without parents. It was in 1974 and 1975 when I traveled there with my friends. I was a student at that time and tried to take any opportunity to spend my summer holidays at the Black Sea. It was a great fun to find ourselves there – great memory, there is much to remember. I’m grateful to Sochi that it gifted us its sun, beaches and crazy parties with friends whom I met there.
    In 1977 I came to Sochi with my young wife when we spent our honeymoon there. I needn’t any friends at those days besides my wife – it was another type of rest but happy and pleasant as always in Sochi…

My Sochi in the 1960th

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 19, 2013

Me in Sochi in 1963

Favorite thing: When a boy my parents were taking me to the Black Sea to the Sochi area in 1962, 1963 and 1964 where we used to spend summer holidays. We lived in Murmanskaya oblast' then - in the Far North of Russia where it was cold the whole year and very few of the sun. That's why for those who could afford, it was necessary to bring or send their children to the south in summer.
    Sochi was one of the most popular Soviet resorts. Only Yalta and Sebastopol could compare with it in popularity.
    My farther could afford to send me with my mother there. He was coming to us when he had a vacation. Sometimes my grandmother lived with us.
    Those were happy and unforgettable days for me. Since then I loved Sochi and its surroundings. Since then I think that Sochi is my native home. 50 years passed but Sochi of the 1960th is still in my memory...

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Some Sochi history

by Pavlik_NL Written Sep 25, 2005
    View over park Dendraria towards the Black Sea

Favorite thing: In the first half of the 19th century, slowly the Kozak's army of the Russian tsar, conquered the South of present European Russia. This area was territory of the Turkish Osmanic State. Sochi became Russian only in 1835 when the Kozak's reached the North side of the Caucasus mountains, a natural defense line that until the present day can be regarded as a frontline between several cultures.

Fondest memory: Especially the walk over the boulevard at night (though I was feeling quite ill), Ilja having fun in Park Riviera and the visit to the Dendraria Park with my friends Julia and Sasha.

Local "Beverley Hills"

by Pablos_new Updated Feb 3, 2005

Vinogradnaya st.

Favorite thing: "Znal by prikup - Zhil by v Sochi" - an old Russian saying: 'If I knew "widow" - I should live in Sochi'.

This is Vinogradnaya street in Sochi. It is full of very fashionable villas, that's why local people call it "Beverley Hills".

If you go from this place directly down to the sea (and not be stopped by the guards ;-)) you could possibly see villa "Bocharov Ruchej" - summer residence of the Russian President and a number of guest-houses around it. In one of them president Shirak spent a week last summer.

• Spa and Resort

• swinny's Profile Photo

An American in Sochi

by swinny Written Aug 25, 2004

Favorite thing: Sochi is where the Russians go for vacation. We decided to spend 4 days on the Black Sea at the end of our whirlwind Russia trip. Sochi is okay, the beaches are nice, but I wouldn't go back unless I stayed in a nicer hotel. First off, if you don't speak at least a little Russian, don't go to Sochi. This was a real eye opener for us. No one speaks English and you won't find any menus in English. We were hungry most of the time. People seemed shocked to see Americans there and even a Russian woman we met on a different trip expressed dismay that we would visit Sochi and said we should have been given medals for even trying it. There's a Hilton or a Raddison right in the middle of town we should have stayed at, it looked nice. The Dagomys, where we stayed, uh, just don't stay there. Perhaps the most troubling thing about getting to Sochi is taking a Russian domestic flight. Frightening. They had to get a mechanic with a hammer to beat on the cabin door frame just so the door would latch shut. You think my seatbelt was on a little tight for that flight?

Fondest memory: Laying on the fine pebble beach of the Black Sea is pretty cool.

The Longest City in Europe

by Pablos_new Updated Jun 22, 2004

Map of Sochi

Favorite thing: Sochi is not only the most expensive city in Russia (in summer time), but is the most long lasted city in Europe - it lasts alond Black Sea cost for 145 km!

On the map you can see only central and southern part of it - from state border with Abkhazia (independant region of Georgia) to Dagomys. To the north from Dagomys there are more districts - Loo, Lazarevskoe, etc.

Krasnaya Polyana (bottom right) - is a winter mountain ski resort.

Mamajka

by Pablos_new Updated Aug 1, 2003

Favorite thing: This district of the Big Sochi is called - Mamaika. Old legend tells that somewhere here was a fortress of Khan Mamai. In XX c this was one of the poorest districts - full of slum and urgly huts.

Now a days it is a great construction area. Taxi driver told us that the price of land here is more than $20000 per 100 sq.m.

• Spa and Resort
    • Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Sochi

Comments

Sochi Favorites

Reviews and photos of Sochi favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sochi sightseeing.