Krasnoyarsk Off The Beaten Path

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Divnogorsk dam

by yumyum Updated May 18, 2007

Dvinogorsk dam

This is one of the biggest dams in Russia. Take a bus to Divnogorsk town from Retchnoi Voksal (lower level). From Divnogorsk we took the bus further at a special price to the bridge of the Yenisey (Abakan road) in front of the dam. Not understanding the signs we walked up the road to the dam, heard a loudspeaker, but obviously didn't understand anything. Up there we were greeted by two Kalashnikovs pointed at us. We had to show passports and were picked up by the securtiy and driven down again. We never got to see the lake itself which was the purpose of going up there. Actually, I felt very weird walking up there but my travel mate absolutely wanted to. Luckily I spoke a little Russian and the guys up there where very happy that they were facing some stupid tourists and not terrorists trying to blow up the dam. I explained to them that in Switzerland it was perfectly normal to walk across dams etc.

We then had to walk all the way back to Dvinogorsk as there is only one daily bus from Abakan. We were hassled by some very hungry dogs among them a *** but luckily they eventually left us to go to some fish stalls. We were rather scared by the dogs behaviour. On the walk back the saw a monument with a huge truck. From Dvinogorsk bus station we took a marshrutka to Stolby where we hiked another 14 km.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Stolby National Park

by yumyum Written May 17, 2007

When in Krasnoyarsk please don't miss Stolby. There are minibuses to get here. And come prepared for several hours walk. At the beginning there is a long stretch uphill. Unfortunately the big red granite rocks are not near the road, so you need to walk. It's best to wear to kind of hiking boots. Take something to drink and a snack with you as well as toilet paper. I only saw one public toilet which was absolutely disgusting (actually the worst I've seen in all of Russia), so consider hopping behind a tree but mind the ticks there.

On a Sunday the whole city seems to take an excursion to Stolby, so there will be masses of people. But still it's worthwhile as the Stolby rocks are very impressive. I saw one that is 80 meters high. The park is also well-known for rock climbing.

On the second photo you see a map of the park. We started at the entrance of the bottom right corner and walked a bit further than the arrow you see near the top. One way was 7 km.

Instant Answers: Krasnoyarsk

Comments

Krasnoyarsk Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Krasnoyarsk off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Krasnoyarsk sightseeing.