Lake Baikal Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Lake Baikal

Soviet post stamps

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 9, 2013

Favorite thing: When a boy I was fond of collecting post stamps. In 1966 I bought 5 stamps devoted to fishes of Lake Baikal. I loved these stamps and dreamed to come to Baikal someday. 44 years passed and I saw all these fishes on the market of Listvyanka and even tried them.
    Who would have thought about it in far 1966?

Baikal omul

Sunset over Lake Baikal

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 9, 2013

Favorite thing: I visited Listvyanka in February. It was rather gray day though it wasn’t too cold. Photography wasn’t very successful until the very end of the day. Unexpectedly the sun looked out of the cloud and I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets in my life.

You can watch my 3 min 26 sec Video Baikal Lake slide show out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

You can watch my photo of the Baikal Lake at Lisvyanka on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 51° 51' 58.74" N 104° 50' 14.87" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Baikal Lake in the evening.

Sunset over Lake Baikal Sunset over Lake Baikal Sunset over Lake Baikal Sunset over Lake Baikal Sunset over Lake Baikal

Lake Baikal

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 8, 2013

Favorite thing: I think everybody who is fond of traveling dream to see Lake Baikal. So was I. But in our huge country a few people can afford such a trip because it is located in the Siberia, several thousand kilometers from European part of Russia.
    I was lucky to go for a business trip in Irkutsk in February of 2010. It situated in 60 km from the Lake and I couldn’t miss such an opportunity to go there for a half of a day. My colleagues helped me and organized that fantastic trip and they showed me not only the Lake, but Tal’tsy and Bolshaya Rechka (the origin of the Angara River).

Lake Baikal is the most voluminous freshwater lake in the world, containing roughly 20% of the world's unfrozen surface fresh water, and at 1,642 m, the deepest. It is also among the clearest of all lakes, and thought to be the world's oldest lake at 25 million years.

You can watch my 4 min 09 sec Video Baikal Lake out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

You can watch my photo of the Baikal Lake at Lisvyanka on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 51° 51' 50.53" N 104° 50' 37.12" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Baikal Lake .

Lake Baikal in February Lake Baikal in February Lake Baikal in February Lake Baikal in February
    • National/State Park

• AnnPt's Profile Photo

Our travel to Baikal)))

by AnnPt Updated Jul 1, 2011

Favorite thing: We (I and my husband) dreamed to visit Baikal Lake. And we did it two weeks ago!! We stayed on Olkhon Island for four days. It was so beautiful!!! Baikal is very fine place for travel and it is so various. We had many interesting excursions by the automobile and hiking trail on Olkhon Island. It place give feeling for the beautiful))))).
    But Olkhon Island is very windy and there is much sand.
    After we went to real Russian village!! Now I know what is this Russian off-roads)))) wow! There are very old village straight in Siberian Taiga! And many-many forest around at long kilometres' distance!
    Russian sauna is very interesting national bath. That's cool! We got it twice))). Also our guide (Andrey Komkov) offered us to visit Sayan Mountain - “Arshan”- but we didn’t have free time for this tour. Who was there. What we have lost?)) I saw some pictures about this place – majestic mountain, realy)))).
    It was unforgettable travel by the legendary Russian car – “Volga”. We traveled by this car all time.
    We liked very much to travel with the personal guide. We so have much seen for short time!

Fondest memory: We ate arctic cisco –“Omul ” – so delicious! This is national dish for populace. And It has many alternatives for cook.

Olkhon Olkhon Olkhon Olkhon Olkhon
    • National/State Park

• kryzzo's Profile Photo

The shores of Baikal

by kryzzo Written Oct 21, 2002

Favorite thing: One of the most memorable scene about the lake in the winter time, is the way the Taiga contrast with the ice cap.

Instant Answers: Lake Baikal

Comments

Lake Baikal Favorites

Reviews and photos of Lake Baikal favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lake Baikal sightseeing.