Dubna Local Customs

Fireworks display
    Courtesy of Our Official Press
    by aliante1981
    That's one of the small planes!

Most Recent Local Customs in Dubna

When a person tells he lives in Pentagon... Part 2

by aliante1981 Written Sep 3, 2003

But these weird names do not complete the local map. Here’s what else you might find useful. These places are all points of orientation that we feel quite difficult to omit when describing to somebody how to find his or her way. I tired it once myself – I had to explain to a woman from Ukraine who has only arrived where she can purchase an electric kettle.

CHUM - a big shop, the name is a simple abbreviation

Big Ben - a small tower with a chime clock on the Peace Square

The Big Devil’s Round - a walk around two residential areas on the left bank of Volga

Fools’ Field - the plot of land where people have their out-of-town small pieces of land for the purpose of growing vegetables and other food.

Great Chinese Wall - the longest apartment block, pr. Bogolyobova 15 (before it was build the residential block where I live held the title)

Pentagon - a house in the form of an unfinished pentagon on the left bank of the Volga river

Roadside Ghost - another apartment block, this time in ‘Bolshaya Volga’ part of Dubna; called so because it stands right next to the railroad from Moscow

…To be continued

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

When a person tells you he/she lives in Pentagon..

by aliante1981 Written Sep 3, 2003

This is a chapter on our local, known only to residents and frequent visitors, place names. The funny thing is that people here are so accustomed to using our own made-up place names, that we rarely know the location and proper names of the streets, except the one we live in. I can certainly recall a proper name and location of may be 10 more streets, but that’s the most. Our town authorities decided to have pity on strangers and put up notices describing where you will get to if you follow a particular street or route. But what if your only guide is a friend who has spent a lot of time in Dubna?

Your only option is to get acquainted with some of the local place names, else you might be directed in this fashion:

“Go straight till you reach the Great Chinese Wall and then turn right”.

I have had some of my own best friends mistreated:)) like that (could not meet them at the train station) so I simply had to put this tip up.

There are four parts of Dubna, called respectively:

Institutskaja chast’ (Institute part) – that’s where JINR, the research institute can be found

The Black River, or Chiornaya Rechka – that’s where I live. And I do not live in the river:)) My friends where under extraordinary impression that there must be a black river here, but they were wrong!

These two are considered the oldest and the elite’ parts of the town. In fact, there are only brick apartment blocks and no hideous concrete buildings like you’ll see in the non-central districts of Moscow.

Big Volga, Bolshaya Volga, which is more frequently called ‘BV’ – a residential area, plus two factories

Tridtsatka – the part (considered by all the others, rather snobbishly I am afraid, but truly, to be the worst developed and hence the worst one to live in) on the other side of the Volga river

… To be continued

Dubna and Science

by aliante1981 Written Mar 29, 2003

Dubna is full of monuments to scientists

If you ever come here, you must be prepared for people talking about the scientific achievements of our (relatively) small town, about all the famous physisists who worked there. Nobel Prize winners among them, too!
    You'll be told about it for sure! Yes, we are a conceited bunch of people here:))

Among those will come many experiments conducted by JINR, or Joint Institute for Nuclear Research.

The you're likely to be told of being the discovery of 2 elements for the Mendeleev chemical table, #105 and #116.

#105 is even called Dubnium. Guess why? In honor of our town, surely!

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

Town Day -- Late in July (2)

by aliante1981 Updated Mar 27, 2003

That's one of the small planes!

Fireworks are only the conclusion of the holiday. Remember, I said that festivities start on Thursday?

Next thing worth mentioning is the airplanes competition. Several small sport planes are brought into the town from a nearby flying school and they make a good show, flying both high and low, making some of the most difficult figures in sporting aviation.

The show, as usual, is free - just pick out a spot from which the view will me best. Though I'm to warn you that it might be difficult - people like this show!

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

Town Day -- Late in July (1)

by aliante1981 Written Mar 26, 2003

Fireworks display

If you are to come on any day, better to choose the end of July, when Dubna celebrates its birthday. The town's new, but the celebrations are quite remarkable...

They start on Thursday and include pretty much everything and culminate on Saturday night with mighty fireworks: people organizing such shows for Nice, Cannes, and Geneva have been hired for previous displays. Sometimes they are as high as 300 meters above the water -- yeah, they are being shot from the river!

The picture here, borrowed from our official site, does not render them justice -- hope to make better pictures myself this summer :))

Instant Answers: Dubna

Comments

Dubna Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Dubna local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dubna sightseeing.