Marfino ponds, lying at different levels, play a very important role as elements of landscape architecture. Adding to the effect of spaciousness, they lend a panoramic quality to the ensemble and extend the perspective. At Saltykov time there were five ponds, connected by canals. This chain, like a necklace, encircled the buildings and the park, so...more
An original piece of early 18th-century Moscow architecture, the church was designed so that it has retained much of what was the best in the late 17th-century tradition, reflecting at the same time some newer influences which were brought in by the epoch of Peter the Great. Cross-shaped in the ground plan, the buildings is crowned with a high...more
Only a few buildings of the Saltykov time have survived till now, as the estate was ravaged by the French during the War of 1812. One of the survivors, a monument of classicism dating from the late 1770s, is the small heated church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Its central body represents a rotunda with windows on two opposing sides and small...more
Strikingly beautiful is its southern facade which overlooks the lover pond. By the sides of the entrance, in the centre there are two faceted three-store turrets. The ogive doors and windows were once adorned by stained-glass panels. The walls arc divided into separate parts by pinnacle-topped buttresses.You may watch my high resolution photo of...more
Date: 1837-1839Place: Moscow region, Mytischinsky district, MarfinoArchitect: Bykovsky M.D.Client: count PaninStyle: pseudo-GothicsMaterial: brick, white plasterFunction: homestead mansionDescription: square two-storeyed building with enfilade interiorsComposition: symmetrical; mansion on the bank of the lake, towards which the staircase with...more
By combining the styles of Gothic and old Moscow architecture he gave an interpretation of Gothic which very nearly characterized the prevailing trends of the epoch and was one of the finest produced by Russian architects in the second third of the 19th century. Marline's dominant feature is the palace. Standing prominently on a steep hill over the...more
Marfino is located 15 km from the Moscow Ring Highway along the Dmitrov Highway near to the 39 km to the north of Moscow. It is possible to reach it by car, having turned under the road index to the right and having gone 3 more kilometers from the turn.
Another way (if you haven't a car) is by electric train (electrichka) - from railway Savelovsky to station Katuar, then by bus #37 or by sanatorium's private bus from metro station Altufevo to sanatorium., further by bus ¹37. After that - by walk.
The musical pavilion has a semicircle form. The strict Tuscan colonnade out of white stone, put by a semicircle, finishes by a semidome with the arch. You will find a bench out of white stone repeating the form of pavilion inside.
Another pavilion - a two-story rotunda "Milovida" stands near to musical pavilion on an abrupt slope of a hill in front of descent to the big bottom pond. Beautiful views on manor open from it. It is the most interesting monument of landscape gardening. An octahedral bottom circle of the pavilion is massive. Walls of a circle are cut from different directions by apertures of entrances. Its second circle - the graceful eight-columned pavilion topped by a dome.
The Estate belonged to Prince Golitsyns in XVII-XVIII centures. In the middle of the eighteenth century it became a site of large-scale construction works which were undertaken by its new owners - members of the Saltykov family. At first it was Field-Marshal Pyotr Saltykov and then his son, also a Field-Marshal. Both were participants in the Seven Years' War. The time when Marfino belonged to the Saltykovs was marked by the creation of a magnificent country residence, with palaces and parks united in a harmonious whole.
The estate, which became a centre of cultural and intellectual life of the nobility, attracted many visitors among who were the leading Writers and artists of the time. Vasily Pushkin, the poet's uncle, Dmitriyev, a well-known author and fabulist, Vigel, a portrayer of morals and manners, Karamzin, a novelist and historian were frequent guests here and, like many others, took an active part in summer festivals and performances of the Marfino theatre.
The theatre had a varied repertoire with operas, vaudevilles, comedies. One of these was a rustic comedy by N. Karamzin Exclusively for Marfino.
After the War of 1812, the members of the Orlov family, who were the Saltykovs' heirs, started restorative works which lasted till the 1840s. By the time they were completed Marfino had passed to the Panin family.
The finishing touches to the reconstructed palace and the estate were put by M.Bykovsky, a talented architect popular at the time.