Murmansk Favorites

Murmansk trip

by mehulraj Updated Dec 25, 2012

Murmansk----Getting around tip

Favorite thing: Murmansk----Getting around tip

I have been to Russia before that time it was before joining VT. As everybody knows its non-english speaking country and I didn't knew Russian it was like major obstacle for getting around in Russia. And before reaching there I did asked my friends about major tourist attraction here in Murmansk and they helped sent me mail on ship. But still it was not enough to make people understand where we wanted to go.....And easy solution is get tourist map from hotel in case if you are staying or we just went in to Park Inn hotel and we picked up tourist map for Murmansk and the tourist map were in Russian and English, so we took both the maps. We used map in english to find out places around town compared it with Russian map Which helped us a lot for asking direction to local people. Hotel receptionist was fluent in english we asked about general idea about getting around, nightlife and ofcourse safety.

Murmank---Currency Exchange

On my previous visit I had exchanged money from people on the street but this time I went to bank to change. Though it was safe from changing money from people but it was advised to us to avoid people on street. In murmansk if you are not using your ATM then you will find almost all the banks are located at one place and the place called "City Center" I dont know what they call it in Russian. And Bank closes at 3 pm and we needed to show our passport/Identity card.

• Work Abroad
    • Photography

• Saringuis's Profile Photo

Enjoy the views

by Saringuis Updated Jul 18, 2007

Favorite thing: Murmansk isn't the prettiest city I'v ever seen but if you are in luck weatherwise you will see a splendid view of the port, the icebreakers, the industrial scene... The hill where the Alyosha stands is the best place to take in the views!

• well, not everyone will like...

by lukeduke Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: well, not everyone will like Murmansk. If you are interesred in ships, nuclear waste and postcommunist atmosphere, then this is the right place for you. Visiting Murmansk in Winter (especially in the polar night) can be a real adventure. There are many things to do (see below).

Fondest memory: Every activity was simply amazing. Generally, the polar night atmosphere is very special, and if the weather is nice (you must be very lucky) you can see the aurora borealis (polar lights)!

• o00o's Profile Photo

Murmansk winter view. This...

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Murmansk winter view.
    This picture ws taken at 13.30 noon. The sun doesn't turns up from late November till late February.

My next plan is to visit Murmansk again in Summer to explore the other part of her faces...

• o00o's Profile Photo

One of the most important sea...

by o00o Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: One of the most important sea port for Russia - MURMANSK, never freeze in winter. I am using my super optical sensitival digitai camera for this picture to show how the ship moving in and out in winter.

• Its a must to see the nuclear...

by Vladimir-An. Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Its a must to see the nuclear powered icebreaker base, called 'Atomflot'. Rundown ships stapped with nuclear waste are rusting near the harbour. You can smell the radioactivity and its a great please for photographers. The photo shows Atomflot, some 2 km north of town.

Fondest memory: Murmansk is best by summer, with the 24 hours sunshine. The Arctic air, the smell of air-pollution, and the very, very nice people here in the north.

• AriRusila's Profile Photo

Best town north from Artic Circle

by AriRusila Written Sep 21, 2008

Favorite thing: Wehn I go to Murmansk I do not go to the best western style hotels, because I prefer a little bit original nostalgic atmosphere of Soviet style colossal Arktika -hotel. Located in city center it is easy to make walking looking older part of town from there.

Normally if one wants relax it is better to go summer time if one likes extreme tourism then the Jan-Feb could be right selection.

Fondest memory: Can not tell in familypages.

• Adventure Travel
    • Cruise

• How to organize a trip in Murmansk

by inmurmansk Written May 8, 2009

Favorite thing: Hi there! Use these guys (http://www.murmantourism.ru/en/companies/company_6844.html), they have english-speaking staff available to help you. Just to warn you a bit, don't be disappointed if there isn't too much to see. There's a huge statue, a church or two that aren't too interesting (one in neighbouring Kola that is kinda interesting). And the market, I guess. Depends what you're interested in, but Murmansk is a pretty bleak Russian industrial city. I do like living here, but it isnt't exactly heaven for tourists, Flait will set you up with a sightseeing-trip if you want to. Kinda pricey, for Murmansk, but they do speak English well.

Fondest memory: The city has a weird and wonderful feel to it, hard to put my finger on it, but I like it!

• Archeology

Instant Answers: Murmansk

Comments

Murmansk Favorites

Reviews and photos of Murmansk favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Murmansk sightseeing.