Local traditions and culture in Nizhegorodskaya Oblast'

by globetrott

Most Viewed Local Customs in Nizhegorodskaya Oblast'

postcards of bombs

by Faracy Written Aug 10, 2004

I cannot tell you how many little postcards of bombs I collected from small children.. as little tokens of affection. Its like giving someone a postcard of a building, or a lake.. but in this town, its one of the famous bombs!

shoes at the door

by Faracy Written Aug 10, 2004

It was winter for most of my time in Russia.. no one wants snow and mud tracked in their house. One always takes their boots off at the door, or in the camera( closet) and changes into their indoor shoes. I made the mistake of wearing my combat boots, which took a long time to lace... I spent a lot of time in closets taking them on and off.

being naughty

by Faracy Written Aug 10, 2004

Even little Sarov has their 24 hour liquor and candy kiosks.. Once in awhile we would sneak down to the river at about 10, a bottle or 3 of the worst wine I´ve ever had in my life in our backpacks, and drink. Usually lighting a fire, and thinking of good reasons that we were out to tell our parents.. This is not unique to this area of course... but it is a fond memory of it. Just not the wine.. it was like cough syrup. There is good wine in Russia, to bad we never had it.

perhaps just in Sarov

by Faracy Written Aug 10, 2004

On any given day, and for seemingly no reason, there would be a dance at the local highschool I was attending.. True, there was little else going on in town.. This was called
    a discoteka. The girls all danced in a circle, and the boys usually watched from the sidelines until one of the brave ones got up and started to act silly.. then they all were free to do so.. then the heavy metal kids would get a song or two played, and they would deeply headbang (in a circle) for those two songs. There would usually be some kind of presentation by kids taking ballroom dance lessons. At the time I was there the song (Tuchi) or Clouds in English by Ivanushki International was played all the time! This meant getting up on chairs and swinging your arms in the air.. This was also my first exposure to The Spice Girls, they hit there before the states.
    Russians love to dance..

Nizhegorodskaya Oblast' Hotels

Top Nizhegorodskaya Oblast' Hotels

Nizhniy Novgorod Hotels
109 Reviews - 327 Photos

Instant Answers: Nizhegorodskaya Oblast'

Comments

Nizhegorodskaya Oblast' Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Nizhegorodskaya Oblast' local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nizhegorodskaya Oblast' sightseeing.
Map of Nizhegorodskaya Oblast'