Omsk Favorites

• New was the
    New was the "Word of the Day"
    by Upstate1NY
    more of the same from before
    by Upstate1NY
  • "Supermarket" included here!

Most Recent Favorites in Omsk

A new rebuilt Cathedral in "Western" Omsk

by Upstate1NY Updated Dec 20, 2005

New-rebuilt Cathedral in Estern Omsk

Favorite thing: We saw and visited a new (or rebuilt) Cathedral on the Western side of the river. I was not quite clear on the status of this Cathedral, it appeared to be brand new, but some people indicated that it was being "rebuilt". The founation work looked to be absolutly new so it may be the "rebuild" of an old Cathedral that was distroyed under the Soviet system. That has been done in MANY places as a total "repudiation" of the "atheistic theory" of prior administrations.

Because of my interest in documenting the rebirth of expressions of faith in Russians, and the Russian Orthodox Church, the Priest allowed me to see and photograph areas that where not yet complete and open to the public.

I do not know the "offical" name of this church but I will try to list that later when I contact my friends in Omsk.

• Religious Travel

More chruches in Omsk

by Upstate1NY Updated Dec 19, 2005

chapel by the bridge over the River Om

Favorite thing: I noticed and briefly visited one more church in Omsk but also saw a chapel and a smaller neighborhood church that I did not have the oppertunity to visit. Are these really "significant"? Well, yes but only if you stop to consider that these "survivied" the soviet Era and are now "working churches" again no matter what they were called under the prior administrartion of Russia, a Museum, a Warehouse or a "What ever" they did "survive' by what ever ruse, and they are now what they were meant to be!!
    In fact it turns out that this little chapel near the bridge over the River Om was distroyed during the Soviet Era and has only recently been rebuilt.. Further evidence of the resolve of Russians to reclaim their heritage.

Of Great significance is Nikolsky Cathedral
    The Cathedral has regained its original appearance by the efforts of the Omsk restorers.
    The Cathedral of the Exalation of the Cross (Crossvosdvizhensky) situated in Tarskaya Street has existed for 130 years. The edifice signifies a great interest of the architects of the second half of tne 19th century to historical styles. The silhouette of the domes and church-tower makes one recall the shapes of the Baroque structures. This impression is more intensified when the Cathedral in recent times was restored with gold.

• Religious Travel

Siberia on Growth Factor

by Upstate1NY Updated Dec 16, 2005

New was the

Favorite thing: There is SO much new construction in Omsk, especially on the west side of the river. the mass of contruction cranes looked like a forest!
    There were new apartments being built everywhere!
    But it was not just apartments that where "going up" the local Tourist Hotel seemed to be tripling its size right along the river bank.
    There was also a new bridge that linked the east side and west side. President Putin himself had been in Omsk to offically "open" it

• searcher68's Profile Photo

First impression, etc

by searcher68 Written Apr 2, 2005

Me in front of a small orthodox church

Favorite thing: First, I want to say when you arrive don't be suprised by the size and poor condition of the airport in Omsk.

The airport is a leftover from the Soviet era and it looks like it.

There are many nice, new and better kept places in Omsk. If you have friends or can speak the language they can show you the nicer places. In general, there are many nice places and many bad places as well.

My favorite thing about Omsk quite simply is the people. They were very nice and I didn't have a moment where I didn't feel safe or unwelcomed. I wish I could stay longer and I intend to return again during the summer.

Fondest memory: Well........

I am quite an oddity in Omsk. That is, there aren't any Black/African-American people in Omsk so I was quite an attraction to some. Many people wanted to meet me and speak to me.

The funniest moments were when some old women almost fell over trying to get a look at me and when a man, crossing the street via a tunnel, was shocked to see me. he was singing and his tone and expression changed. He said aloud, in Russian, "Oh my god! A black person!", LOL!

I have included a photo of myself in front of a small orthodox church in Omsk. Later I may post other photos of myself in Omsk.

• blaird's Profile Photo

This is not a 'you must...',...

by blaird Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: This is not a 'you must...', this is a 'you will of course see....' You will of course see the remains of communism is Omsk. It is an industrial city that has a number of factories pumping out smoke, but a short drive out of the city will bring you to rural bliss to add to your urban fun.

• anna_mia's Profile Photo

Only 20 km out from the city...

by anna_mia Written May 29, 2005

russian beauties

Favorite thing: ... and I'm forgetting everything. The only I need is this "picture" and me somewhere there close to the tree or near the river.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Omsk

Comments

Omsk Favorites

Reviews and photos of Omsk favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Omsk sightseeing.