Until recently, Vladivostok had the highest crime record in Russia. The city was always remembered with its "mafia". However, this is not strong anymore and all illegal actions of this type are under control. Now, Vladivostok is as safe as other Russian cities.
- Road Trip
Not a warning, but be aware!
Often people find themselves becoming victims to scams and crime. Here are some tip's to avoid some of them. It may be common sense but here it goes anyways.
1. Travel in a group, don't walk by yourself.
2. Avoid exchanging currency at places other than hotels and banks. Some conterfiet money has been know to be passed around.
3. Don't use ATM's that are not attached to banks. ATMs on the street have been used to steal pin and account numbers.
4. Avoid markets after 9 pm. After that time, known criminal elements seem to increase.
5. Stay in the center of the city near the port. Outside neighborhoods have a higher crime rate due to some local organized crime elements and gangs.
6. Stay away from the Sauna/Massage parlors/hookers. Drug use and the HIV/AIDS rates are common with people working in these occupations.
Crime is common
A South Korean businessman was robbed and beaten by two unknown attackers from whom he had requested a cigarette when leaving his apartment building on Wednesday morning.
The businessman, who works for a trade company that ships Korean buses to the Russian Far East, left his flat on Okeansky Prospekt at 10.00 a.m. and on his way to work decided to borrow a cigarette from two men who were standing on one of the floors. While one man started to open a cigarette pack, the other took a piece of metal pipe and attacked the victim.
Hitting the Korean man on the head the attackers seized his brief case containing $700 and 230,000 rubles ($8,300) and fled the scene. The businessman was later hospitalized.
Don't loose your head!
It is more likely for those who just enter Vladivostok! Lot's of "hot drink" and "hot girls" made many tourist loose their head and wallets! If you are not sure in the company - don't do crazy parties as they mostly have sad endings.
Be careful in crrowed buses as there are thiefs, I had my cell-phones and wallets h\got stolen many times in them!
DO NOT DRINK water which is not bottled. Local water in taps is DANGEROUS!
It is a border zone so if you're invited somewhere far away from the city - it is a good idea to find out if you need permission to enter it!
If you went to casino - ask a manager or security guard to call reliabale taxi and ask them to walk you down to it.
- Casino and Gambling
Russia! Where good times could go bad!
Crime in russia is an epedemic and out of control.
Russia has gone from superpower to Third World in a mere six years. Or Red to dead without even gaining a toehold on optimism that drove the success of some of its former republics. ... crime may be Russia's biggest export in the next decade. The brutal control of a central government has been reborn in the form of Russian Mafias.
From gypsy children pick pockets, to prostituites to full out skinhead thugs. Russia can change from a modern beatiful place to one of dispair by turning down the wrong street. Safety is always in numbers!