Kizhi Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kizhi

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Not a single snake & also NO warnings !!!

by globetrott Updated Mar 3, 2010

Well, this is some kind of a "non-warning" that I put against the other 2 warnings set here by other VT-members : First of all I did not see any snake and we had a local guide from the beginning and also NO warning from his side about snakes and I also did not see any of the signposts about a snake-warning in that part of the island where we visited the island of Kishi. Believe me, IF such a signpost existed there, I would have seen it and take a photo, because that kind of signpost is still missing in my photo-collection.
    It might be that the snakes are more in the northern part of the island, where we did not have enough time to go or it might be that the snakes are not there anymore, as I had been there in June 2009 and all the others obviously some time before that.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

watch out for snakes...

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 27, 2005

snakes

Apparently more snakes live on Kizhi than people - and there are signs all over to remind you of this slightly significant detail. Basically you're advised to remain on the marked paths - although I doubt that the over 10000 poisonous snakes of the islands will read those signs. Seriously speaking - yes, there are poisonous snakes - but mostly live in the far-off distant corners of the island where visitors are not likely to go. Yet, some caution is necessary.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

Snakes!!

by aliante1981 Written Aug 3, 2003

Now, that's where I was surprised! Yes, I am pretty well aware (and have always been) that Kizhi is a natural spot, but I haven't expected this!

I just bought my ticket, when an attendant said to our group:

'You should be warned that there are snakes down here. They go about their own business, so don't do anything if you see one. It'll go away by itself. They are venomous, but it won't harm you.'

I'd noticed that the previous bunch of folks went away rather in shock and was evidently determined to follow the main path. But I've had no idea as to what made them behave like that.

I saw no snakes personally, but some of the people spotted one, may be half a meter long creature. The attendant did not warn foreigners - he did not speak English. So I just thought I should tell it here.

Just one closing remark: Don't let this snake business stop you from visiting Kizhi.

Instant Answers: Kizhi

Comments

Kizhi Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kizhi warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kizhi sightseeing.